Can you analyze my play on this hand PLZ?

Ecolando

Ecolando

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't remember the exact details but I'll provide as much as I can.

This was a VIP tournament on Betonline. top 45 entrants recieve a ticket to the $109 buy in 100K guaranteed that happens tomorrow.

Starting stack was 5000 chips. I had about 5700 when this hand happened

I had 10 Q off suit, called a min raise to see the flop.

flop is 10 4 8 rainbow
There is a 1/2 pot bet, raised to a full pot bet, which I then called. Everyone else folded (I think there were 4 in the hand at the flop).

turn is a 10. my oponent made a 1/2 pot bet which I called.
Cant remember the river (not a queen), but I have about 2700 chips at this point. My openent goes all in with 3200, which I call.

He turns over pocket 4s. I feel like the only place I could have gotten out was at the flop. There was some heavy betting that a top pair maybe didn't warrant calling with top pair.

Your thoughts please? thanks!

Ecolando

Ecolando

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I should add that there were about 120 players in the tourney at this point, so I feel like more conservative play would be correct considering the tournament dynamics.

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems that you play it fine to me, your opponent had one of the few hands that are ahead of you. Just maybe raising the turn will give you more info on what your opponent had, but calling make sense also

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Could probably fold flop. Once you get to turn you should go broke.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hey
In my opinion you played it just right as the opponent was betting just fine.
once you hit a trips you were not going anywhere.
Only way you could have lost was right there.
good luck next time.:icon_rabb

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If there’s a bet and a raise on the flop, I’m not like Q10 very much. I probably don’t like this preflop either depending on the blinds and position you were in.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only situation, where I would call with QTo preflop, is from the big blind getting a good price, as you did here. If you were in any other position, this is not the kind of hand, you want to see a flop with multiway. On the flop it’s a pretty clear fold, when there is a bet and a raise in front of you. Sure it was only a mini-raise, but the original bet was sort of reasonable, so this is still showing a lot of strength. Also you are not closing action, so you are not even sure to see a turn, and you will be massively in the dark for the rest of the hand.

J

jmill

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only situation, where I would call with QTo preflop, is from the big blind getting a good price, as you did here. If you were in any other position, this is not the kind of hand, you want to see a flop with multiway. On the flop it’s a pretty clear fold, when there is a bet and a raise in front of you. Sure it was only a mini-raise, but the original bet was sort of reasonable, so this is still showing a lot of strength. Also you are not closing action, so you are not even sure to see a turn, and you will be massively in the dark for the rest of the hand.

You’ll like the play less when you realize he wasn’t in the big blind. He should have folded the hand pre-flop.

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
reraise it from there sometimes?? doubt the 44’s would have folded though.
Prefer it to be suited still.
QT needs to hit a straight or boat.
The opponents pot re raise, says something too.
I’ll find myself in these spots very often with a QTish hand.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Kinda what I was thinking. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Exactly. When you get a raise and a re-raise on such a dry board, it usually means your top pair and okay kicker are beat in this spot.

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With top pair and decent kicker?

There were two raises, first raise represents to me ten with any kind of kicker, but re-raise, rainbow board, no flush draws, that is an extremely strong tell that this guy could have at least AT or two pair/set. 100% fold, top pair is still just a pair.

If there is no strong draws on the flop, you have to respect more your opponent's bets.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As you already said, with 45/120 you should play more conservatively. 1/3 get paid.

But even without that in mind, QTo is exactly that type of hand you want to abandon preflop against an open raise.Because this is exactly the type of hand that will put you more than often into marginal situations.
If it was suited then you could consider to call the preflop raise, but then again you need to be able to abandon your holding against aggression with top pair. You 're aiming to flushes or straights or an easy small pot with top pair.
On the flop now your job is very easy in this hand. You just fold. Someone raises and another one reraises. You don't care, good for you. Time to abandon.

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There were two raises, first raise represents to me ten with any kind of kicker, but re-raise, rainbow board, no flush draws, that is an extremely strong tell that this guy could have at least AT or two pair/set. 100% fold, top pair is still just a pair.

If there is no strong draws on the flop, you have to respect more your opponent's bets.

Thanks for sharing, it is a very good point, I still have a ton to work in my ranges.

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't remember the exact details but I'll provide as much as I can.

This was a VIP tournament on Betonline. top 45 entrants recieve a ticket to the $109 buy in 100K guaranteed that happens tomorrow.

Starting stack was 5000 chips. I had about 5700 when this hand happened

I had 10 Q off suit, called a min raise to see the flop.

flop is 10 4 8 rainbow
There is a 1/2 pot bet, raised to a full pot bet, which I then called. Everyone else folded (I think there were 4 in the hand at the flop).

turn is a 10. my oponent made a 1/2 pot bet which I called.
Cant remember the river (not a queen), but I have about 2700 chips at this point. My openent goes all in with 3200, which I call.

He turns over pocket 4s. I feel like the only place I could have gotten out was at the flop. There was some heavy betting that a top pair maybe didn't warrant calling with top pair.

Your thoughts please? thanks!
1 entering a hand with q10 is a marginal play preflop. considering you face a raise then reraised pot ahead of you. that's when you should of gotten out of the hand. second spot to get out was on the flop.

Next time fold that q10 when facing 2 raisers. the second raise was from a player trying to protect his hand. you should of took the hint there. gl

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard to fold but knowing you 3 of a kind was made with 2 pair on the board automatically tells you if anyone hit trips then your beat. Its a tough fold, especially after you had committed half your chips to the pot. With the initial betting I would have normally put someone on a high pair.

R

rcpeck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with many others that the critical mistake was not dumping QTo PF.

Then, in low stakes or freerolls where players are bringing just about anything along to the flop, I'm usually 3-betting the flop to see where I stand when I've got a weak top pair like this, and then shutting down after I don't take it down there. You may have done this, but it was hard to tell with how the action was described.

Not only are you beat with the set, but also AT, KT and T8, which will show up often enough in this situation in a freeroll.

Best to stick with playing hands where it's more clear where you stand this early and deep in this type of tournament.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is not really much you could have done here that you didnt. Once you flop top pair it is hard not to peal at least one more card. That card then gives you trips and you are committed at that point. Just happens that sometimes your opponent has one of the few hands that can beat you. I don't think you could fold post flop since if you are going to fold top pair and then fold with a Q kicker, why even call the min raise in the first place? Your play was good, just one of those hands.

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i wish you could give more info on how much your counterpart bluffs. if you felt or detected he was bluffing, then your play was quite right. Against a conservative player this would be scary to do.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands