Whats the good play in this situation?

B

blackyy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Alright, I am not that new to poker but I still lack experience and tonight something happened and I am wondered if I ****ed up or if it was not that bad.

I got 30 bbs
average is about 25 bbs
100 people left out of 1700 people

I know my opponent is short stack and goes allin whenever he has ace + whatever

He has about 15 bbs

He shoves on me. I got pocket fours. Only him and I in the hand.
I know he probably has ace + something.

This is also preflop

I call him with my 44s

He has Ace + 5 off like I thought

How good are 4s in this situation?

Was it a bad call because it was too much equity for 4s vs A5 off this late in the tournament or was it a good flip and risky but not so bad call.

What pocket pairs are safe or safer to call in that situation? 5s and upward when he has A+5, 6s and upward when he has A+6, etc. ?

How would you play that?

T

TryTo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Calling with fours or other low pair after someone's all-in you have either 50/50 vs overcards or you are underdog vs almost all pairs. I got a rule not to call with anything lower eights (strictly middle pair) on allins except the villain has ultrashort stack or he is an obvious moron, or hyperaggressor.

Samuel Lee

Samuel Lee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He has 46% chance of winning with those over pairs against your 4s.
It is not a profitable call considering that you are in a tournament.
Don't call all-ins with small pairs, only play them if you can get a cheaper flop and you are in position.

George Lewis

George Lewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not call here. You are at 30BB and do not need to be making this sort of call. If you have a ton of chips you can call just to see if you can knock him out but here it is just and easy fold and move on.

Jim Brown

Jim Brown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never calling with 44 here. at best you're flipping. probably calling 99+, AQ+

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is an idiotic call. Why? Say board hits 8 10 6 8 6. So, who wins? Neither Ace hits nor 5s but you still have a Pair, lol..and you are a looser. I love poker..

TheJermyGerm

TheJermyGerm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
most of the time I call and take my chances unless its for more then 50% 50% is close to too much but its situational, its generally 50 50 2s-6s against that guy so id probably call, but not more then 50, like 60 % of my chips i fold.

your playing to win, you may not get a better situation % wise then that 55/45 atleast your slight favorite

if youv been not catching cards that hour id go for it if your getting atleast one playable hand every rotation id fold.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
I thing you fold because you need play only good hands to win more cheaps
and play keep calm

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I would have folded if he would raise rates as high probability that either an Ace or fall 5

ARMYNAC

ARMYNAC

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a classic race... No differnt then AK vs QQ

About a 53% Chance winning here - In a tournment is 53% Worth it?

A

AshTheGreat

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy fold. No reason to risk half your stack on a random flip. The point of poker is to play your strengths, not take risky chances.

You take unnecessary risks when you have no chips like him, not when you're moderately comfortable. Invest wisely.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with the others. Too much of your stack to risk on basically a coin flip. (ok the coin slightly favors you) You can find better spots and if your opponent is playing that way, you should be able to take advantage of it.

C

Chipsteal_jj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to be holding at least 10s+ or AQs+ to call this. With 30bb, there is no need to call with such a hand.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
with small pocket pairs, according to Harrington, and I do not have yet the reasons not to believe him play so would that naymenshim chips to see the flop, or when you are with a very short stack on the number of M if igraetsya shove both of these cases are not fit, respectively then FOLD.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not technically a bad call because they have A5o. A6s vs 44, you have ~55% equity when all in if you don't have any of the A6 suits in your hand.

Assuming it's just the blinds + the 15 BB jam, there is 16.5 BBs in the pot and you have to call 15 BBs. If we plug this into an EV formula we get:

EV = [16.5 BBs x .55] - [15 BBs x .45]
EV = [9.1BBs] - [6.75 BBs]
EV = +2.35 BBs

However, even if it is a +EV situation for us, we still have consider stack preservation in MTTs. So, even if are averaging 2.35 BBs in the long run, it might not be worth risking 50% of your stack in this situation.

The problem is that is you need to calculate your equity vs your opponents shoving range and not just a specific hand. Your opponent would have to have a shove range of 45% to make 44 a slight favorite of 51/49. Most players aren't shoving this wide for 15 BBs. Even if your opponent's shove range is 93%, you only have ~57% equity to win. Going back to stack preservation, is 57% equity enough to risk 50% of your stack?

So, it's not a bad call because it's A5o vs 44. It's a bad call because you cannot beat your opponent's preflop shove range with 44.

A

AsusTeam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
always evaluate the aggressor player , and also have a range of hands to call and all in ... its pair of 4 at most would be a coin flip ... your pair of 4 for me is not going to fold ... compremeter my tournament nesa phase .... await a better hand to call this

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
44 is a bit too wide to be calling 15bb shove.. I think 44 should only call a shove if effective stacks are 5bb or less

VinnyStrat

VinnyStrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He is taking risks because he has too, you have an above average stack and don't need to take the risk. If I'm in your position I don't want to get all of my chips (or half) of them in unless I'm pretty sure I'm going to win the hand. You're only slightly ahead if he doesn't have a pair.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's a coinflip

Against the specific hand yes... against a range though, we're slightly behind. Im pretty sure all of the higher pocket pairs in his range tip the scale in his favor.

Jack Leaff

Jack Leaff

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is a call. I don't know how much there is already in the middle, but he is shortstack and could be just shoving to steal the blinds and antes, and his stack is comfortable to put pressure on stacks like yours because if you call and lose you would lose half of your stack.

If you can think about his range and figure that he is shoving Ax 44 is good to call. Make a quick calculation and find the pot odds, you'll have the odds to call a lot of the time here. You have to take some risks to win more chips.

It's important to think about his range though. With what hands do you think he goes allin to steal? I think that in this situation his range is pretty wide and 44 is ok to call.

S

serenshippity

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Standard call if he's sb shoving your bb

SlimShakey

SlimShakey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait for a better spot

I would fold. You have 30BB. Wait for a better spot to put your tournament life in jeopardy. You have time.

SS

Alright, I am not that new to poker but I still lack experience and tonight something happened and I am wondered if I ****ed up or if it was not that bad.

I got 30 bbs
average is about 25 bbs
100 people left out of 1700 people

I know my opponent is short stack and goes allin whenever he has ace + whatever

He has about 15 bbs

He shoves on me. I got pocket fours. Only him and I in the hand.
I know he probably has ace + something.

This is also preflop

I call him with my 44s

He has Ace + 5 off like I thought

How good are 4s in this situation?

Was it a bad call because it was too much equity for 4s vs A5 off this late in the tournament or was it a good flip and risky but not so bad call.

What pocket pairs are safe or safer to call in that situation? 5s and upward when he has A+5, 6s and upward when he has A+6, etc. ?

How would you play that?