What would you do in this situation on the river? All in or fold?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are at a final table of a tournament, there are 9 players. You are in early position (utg + 1) with approximately 50 bb. (50k) The other player you face, has three times your stack (150k), he is in big blind and seems to have an aggressive style of play.
Sequence:
your hand: As Qd
The big blind player opens at 2.5 bb. You call, the other players leave your hand.

Flop: Ks Qc 4c
Bb: cbet 30% of the well, you pay.

Turn: Ks Qc 4c Kc
Big blind check, your check.

River: Ks Qc 4c Kc 10d
Bb: raise to 51k, this implies for you 2 options: all in / fold
What would you do in this situation?

This example is from a real tournament. I do not remember exactly the sequence but it was very similar to this one that I expose.
In this tournament it happened that utg + 1 folded, and the big blind player had his hand: 7-2 of suits.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The BB is last to act preflop so he couldn't have opened first. You checked behind on the turn which indicated weakness. So being an aggressive player he's going to bet the river so it's a call.

Also, the K on the turn decreased the chances of him having a K in his hand.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sorry: utg limpea and big blind goes up to 2,5bb

POKERRANSOM

POKERRANSOM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are at a final table of a tournament, there are 9 players. You are in early position (utg + 1) with approximately 50 bb. (50k) The other player you face, has three times your stack (150k), he is in big blind and seems to have an aggressive style of play.
Sequence:
The big blind player opens at 2.5 bb. You call, the other players leave your hand.

This example is from a real tournament. I do not remember exactly the sequence but it was very similar to this one that I expose.
In this tournament it happened that utg + 1 folded, and the big blind player had his hand: 7-2 of suits.
First i want to say this i like the detail of your post it gives a good idea of the whole dynamic of the hand. Next it would probabley have take my whole time bank to make this decision and more then likely i call here and lose but it could also be afold if i thought i had a chance of still being able to pull out a late finish i lean torwards folding . I dont know man but that was a good checxk on your opponets side on the turn also a low bet on the flop for having a king actually kinda trapped you

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The BB is last to act preflop so he couldn't have opened first. You checked behind on the turn which indicated weakness. So being an aggressive player he's going to bet the river so it's a call.

Also, the K on the turn decreased the chances of him having a K in his hand.

I'm curious to know if you limped in? Either way it's an ultimate fold on the river, per scenario. You could have been on the hook pre-flop. Most aggressive players w/a stack of 150 BB's will put a player all-in p-f in that situation, especially at a final tbl; so I've learned. :cool:

vuk011

vuk011

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Check on turn is very tricky lol..
Everything would be easier if you played on turn.. but in this kind of play, I'm close to the FOLD option

B1731898

B1731898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As someone already mentioned, the bb isn't the first to open. AQ is a hand you wana raise, but you observed this guys aggressive play. So you would know best if he has the goods or not.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm curious to know if you limped in? Either way it's an ultimate fold on the river, per scenario. You could have been on the hook pre-flop. Most aggressive players w/a stack of 150 BB's will put a player all-in p-f in that situation, especially at a final tbl; so I've learned. :cool:

I didn't read his 2nd post saying he limped in. Not a good idea to limp from UTG with AQ. So and aggressive player in the Big Blind raised his limp. Since the hand went down with the villain in the big blind C Betting the flop with a K on board, hero called. The villain checked the turn with another K, the hero should have bet the turn. Since he didn't bet the turn which showed weakness the hero should have called villain's river bet.

Not a good situation because you let him control the action but the villain was probably bluffing.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As played a clear fold

As played a clear fold on the river. The opponent is shoving for several times the pot, and we only have second pair on a board, where straights and flushes are possible. But why are we limping into the pot? The only position on the table, where it can ever make sense to limp in, is in the SB seat, when there are antes in play like in most tournaments. Otherwise we should always either raise or fold, if we are first to enter a pot. This is such a fundamental mistake, that there is really no point in even considering action on later streets, before its corrected.

Kertooie

Kertooie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends on how the big blind was playing prior, since The big blind acts first in the hand he has position to act first, naturually he can believe his hand is a good bluff with Q10off suit, or QJ.

But his Defending range could definitely be more wide like K2 offsuit all the way to KAsuited. its a tough read, but i'd for sure make the fold to save a few pay jumps. there's always another hand to be played at a final table

no reason to exclude yourself from playing if he happened to have a bluff with ace jack or Queen ten, or has hit bottom set with a wider opening range

dzemer

dzemer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold. He can have a flush with small hand. He was waiting the turn to check if someone have bigger flash then he. After checks he decide to raise on the river cause nobody raise the turn.

V

vladdracul

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raise?

Sequence:

Maybe a pot size bet after the flop would have got the bb to lay down his hand?

V

vladdracul

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in this situation

I would have folded thinking he had a K or he could have hit a straight. A pot size raise after the flop might have convinced the 7,2 bb to go away though. He could reraise in which case big decision time but I would be surprised if he would also bet u did not have a K when he is holding junk. Of course with all the clubs, u also have to worry about a flush. Poker ain't easy.

J

Jsmooth41

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If this was not the final table i probably tank then call, but seeing that you will still have quite a few bbs behind and you can money jump quite a bit from 9 to 5 or 4, i probably fold quickly and wait for a better spot to get all my money in.

On the other hand if you were to limp in early position and the bb was playing very aggressive and raised, i might want to think about taking back control of pot and reraise as you are in position on him and the action of reraising will tell you how big his hand is, if he repops or goes all in then you fold, if he calls you probably have him on flop and he is going to be the chaser. Also being that he is aggressive, the fact that you are being more aggressive will probably just get a fold from him preflop, as he is good enough to get to the final table playing that style he is good enough not to call a three bet out of position with a really bad hand.

The real point of your discussion is not what you should have done on the river but what you should have done preflop to put yourself into a better position to call the river bet if it ever got that far. By limping in and playing the hand passively you allowed another opponent to outplay you and win a hand that should have probably been done on the flop if not preflop

Mr_Hand

Mr_Hand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The check on the turn is standard. Pot control is a good thing. I’m never calling the allin here. You’re just not getting a good enough price and your hand is only beating bluffs. Statistically people don’t bluff shove on the river often enough to make that a profitable call.

TravelerLloyd

TravelerLloyd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know its hard here, but I hate being bluffed so I am going to look him up and if he got it, I know next time not to bother him, but I aint afraid to look go to ware and I dont back down easily to big bets. It just feels like a bluff to me.
Sequence:

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I make it not a point to lose when the cards that beat you are already on the board. I would have folded on the flop. Since failing that, I would fold the river.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry for the harshness, but I'm at a loss how did you get to the final table? With the ace of a lady hand, you have voluntarily given the initiative to the villain on BB. Suppose you decide to use a slow game tactic. You have reached the goal: BB opened the raise trade; you simply have to re-raise to get at least some information about your opponent’s hand. On the brake, you drove to the river and now you should throw a couple of queens with an ace as a kicker. Now against you is not just an aggressive villain forcing you to go all-in, but also all kinds of combinations ranging from thrips to straight and flush. It would be very logical that the villain again showed something like 72 on your fold. Nevertheless, you and not me at the final table, perhaps passivity is your strength. Good luck !!!

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
River is most honest street. His sizing to big, board to wet to make cal with QX. Think about it: Quads is nuts on this boards also full house flush and straight is possible and you holding second pair (two pair technically) and thinking to call huge over bet. Readless I would easily fold with AJ (of course it depends on field if buy 25 cents maybe you can call with J9 or AK)

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cant tell with only one situation. I would like to know more.

If the guy has been hitting, he is tilted, if he bluff some streets only, if you were playing tight, there is a lot of situations.

It can be bluff or full house, not sure

Folding in Poker