4: Heroe (10814)
5: BTN (23777)
6: SB (15234)
7: BB (15147)
9: UTG+1 (6126)

Preflop: Hero in CO is dealt with :ac4: :qc4:

4 folds, Hero raises to 1600, BTN folds, SB raises 13559 para 15159 e is all-in
BB folds.

I was in sixth place in 16 players. The sixth place gives a prize of US$ 5,00. The winner prize was US$ 21,50. The villain was being quite aggressive in the table.

What would you do?

Call or fold?

gjwalk

gjwalk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since the villain has been aggressive and he's probably thinking you're trying to steal the blind, I don't put him on a better hand. I'm calling.

Jim Brown

Jim Brown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have to call at this stack depth. I would just open shove.

wayrOK

wayrOK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd rung , it may be All in!

T

TryTo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If 15th place has higher prize I would wait out at least one loser, fold here. And sixth place is comfortable enough to wait more reliable situation for shoving.

7svetoslav

7svetoslav

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest, Id do the same thing as you. If I put myself in the same situation, even there is almost the final table, its so good to multiply your stacks.
The percent rate is bigger, specially with those folds. I think you took the right choice. Imagine if you got the flush draw and become chip leader?

Last edited:
J

jjpregler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a standard call. You opened AQs from a steal position. The 3bet shove can be with a wide (and I mean wide) range. Your AQs crushes his range. I mean I can see his 3 bet shove being something like 22+, A2s+, AT, KQ, KJs, and even some suited connectors like 98s as bluffs.

J

JimmT7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would shove allin. If not aggressor will to get you too fold. Show strength and play to win chances are he will fold because he knows you are not folding and you could take most of his stack.
Either way I would have called. Like I said I play to get in final 3 not just in the money. AQ has big potential.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
I will call AQ suited is a nice hand for you. It gives you the chance to go up for the beest pays. If you loose still can cash some.
Hey no risk no fun! :deal:

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I fold, it is a strong hand but not a made hand, if you lose you're out of the tournament, not risk.

grrrrut

grrrrut

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it is the aggressor, I would go to the all in

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd be inclined to fold since I fully expect this to be a coin flip situation (which btw, I lose 90% of the time). People do this more often with pairs in my experience. So, it then comes down to whether or not you want to take a 50/50 chance on losing at this point. You said you were in 6th place, and 6th place paid $5 USD, but you didn't say how much, if anything, you got if you busted out in 16th pace.

Also, what does "para 15159 e is all-in" mean? Was there a third all-in player? If so, your odds of busting are even higher than 50/50.

Now if you are the sort of person who tends to win coin flips (unlike yours truly) then getting all of your chips in the middle at this point makes sense.

I just did something not that dissimilar yesterday with AK - lost to A6. That's what I'm talking about.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Open shove preflop, obvious call off against a reshove.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd be inclined to fold since I fully expect this to be a coin flip situation (which btw, I lose 90% of the time). People do this more often with pairs in my experience. So, it then comes down to whether or not you want to take a 50/50 chance on losing at this point. You said you were in 6th place, and 6th place paid $5 USD, but you didn't say how much, if anything, you got if you busted out in 16th pace.

Also, what does "para 15159 e is all-in" mean? Was there a third all-in player? If so, your odds of busting are even higher than 50/50.

Now if you are the sort of person who tends to win coin flips (unlike yours truly) then getting all of your chips in the middle at this point makes sense.

I just did something not that dissimilar yesterday with AK - lost to A6. That's what I'm talking about.
This is the Tournament Hand Analysis section of the forum, sir. There is a "Brags, Beats, and Challenges" section of the forum where you can post about your poker woes.

I find it hard to believe you lose 90% of coin flip situations or even 70% or more over a legit sample size. Whether or not you "run well" should not affect your decision-making process, the probability is the same in each individual event.

Regarding this spot, if we know we have exactly 50% equity vs our opponent's range then this is a snap call, because we have 2bb invested and there is some dead money in the pot.

The only way to "analyze" whether or not we should call off here is to plug in our opponent's reshoving range and see how much equity AQs has against it, then look at how much equity we need in order to call off.

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What I did: I called. I put him in A2+, KT+ or a pair range. I would won some of the hands and would be in a coin flip in another ones. I would have a weaker hand only to a few hands. There were a good pot yet, and if I won I would be tied with the chip leader with a huge stack, probably going to FT in a really good comfortable situation. I decided to play to try to win the freeroll.

Shove preflop was a alternative, and maybe I would won the hand doing that. But the table was a little bit tight at that moment, and 2 or 3 BB raises had been enough to steal the blind most of the times. I tried to won the hand without great risks first, or maybe be payed by a weaker hand, but it didn't work.

The result was that he had AKo, the board didn't help either of us and I lost.

After the game, I really was not sure if I made the right decision or not. Was it just stupid or a just part of the game? Did I made a EV- call? And based on everything I read here, I see that there was another line of thought, but what I did can not be considered a big mistake or something like that.

Thanks all. :)

Last edited:
tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You said you were in 6th place, and 6th place paid $5 USD, but you didn't say how much, if anything, you got if you busted out in 16th pace.

$1,50

Sorry, I didn't translate this line. He was the only one raising.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have just jammed initially..

N

NKGB13

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey my Mineirin friend (hope not an atletico fan)..

By reading your 1st post only I would say, you should raise a bit more pre-flop, that was an obivous steal if I was in BB thinking why would you mini raise me. So I would bet a bit higher and no I wouldn't call the shove, even with such a good hand. Although not much, you still had a bit of a stack to develop more and could be facing some 44 - TT shove and would be 50/50 or less.

But I also don't think that was an awfull play to call.

My comments above doesn't work that well for the bet sizing after seeing your comment on what happened. Vilain would shove on any bet you did. Maybe a shove from your part would have him fold but yet, risky play.

D

demacedo6

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Open shove pre flop. As played I call.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Both the solution of the situation in Dana correct, but for that would make more money of course better to lose and the other bodozhdat comfortable situation.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
I thing is depend how play the oponent.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fold every time. dont even think about calling.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands