Time tourney TT in UTG+1 last hand, last in chip count

teebahnoo

teebahnoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Happened to me yesterday to be in a Time Tourney on pokerstars in the last hand final 9 I get TT sitting in UTG+1 and being last in chip count. I had 10bb and the average was 20bb.

I pushed and the chip leader called with KQ and kicked me out. I lost 3.5 buyins this way and if I won the hand could have got 6 (I think).

Having lost I doubt I made a good play definitely not the best. But as chip leader is that a good play? If I found myself in villain place should I do the same?

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the final hand of the tournament, I would have dropped everything but the hands of monsters QQ +! I think with the TT it was a mistake!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Time tournaments are basically like cash games, because the price pool is distributed based on chips and not finishing places. There is no ICM in time tournaments, and without ICM TT is an easy jam with a 10BB stack.

By the way since time tournaments are like cash games, just with shorter stacks, I am not sure, I see so much point in them. I have played a few on PokerStars, but its not something, I recommend spending a lot of time on.

AntA_KO_v

AntA_KO_v

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it was unnecessary mistake on the chipleader's side in this certain hand but we don't know the context... what was his style of play and what was your?

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the last hand of a TT time tournament plus UTG + 1 fold and take what you have accumulated the advantage of these tournaments is that being able to control in the final part your game you had already won money there was no reason to throw it in the last hand

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the last hand of a TT time tournament plus UTG + 1 fold and take what you have accumulated the advantage of these tournaments is that being able to control in the final part your game you had already won money there was no reason to throw it in the last hand

This is essentially like saying, that if you are up in a cash game and planning to sit out on the next big blind, then you should refrain from taking risk in the last few hands to lock up your profit. That might make sense in special situations like the TV-show "big game", if you were a loose canon. But other than that, you should really see your whole poker career as one long session.

teebahnoo

teebahnoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By the way since time tournaments are like cash games, just with shorter stacks, I am not sure, I see so much point in them. I have played a few on PokerStars, but its not something, I recommend spending a lot of time on.

The short stack play is interesting because I get often in that situation in regular tourneys. Also the pay rate is very good the chip leader made 25 buyins I think. But mostly is good training for short stack near the bubble situation and kinda similar with FT bubble and FT play

teebahnoo

teebahnoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it was unnecessary mistake on the chipleader's side in this certain hand but we don't know the context... what was his style of play and what was your?

I think I played with him last 3 levels so 15 mins. He played few hands until last level when he became more active playing every 3 hands or so, balanced calls and raises. I played conservatively stealing few blinds folding to shoves. He saw me pushing a bigger stack off the pot

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands