Should I fold this hand?

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon to you all I was playing in a public tournament where the top three players get gets a chance play now online tournament on Sunday for a chance to go to Las Vegas if they're finished in the top six. The blinds are 1 and 200 I was the big blind I had about I have a 2400 ships live. Under the gun Folds under the gun to Folds middle position raises to 300 everybody Folds except for me I was too big but I have 982 the diamonds I decide to call. The frog goes 7 of diamonds 10 of diamonds Queen of Hearts I now have a straight flush draw and I decide to check the original raiser decides to push all in I have about 2400 ships left I'm stuck in no man's land what would you do with the hand I thought about calling for my straight flush draw what would you do with the hand that I had would you would you fold or call? Oh by the way the the original person that raised had over 3000 chips and had me covered.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Blinds are 100/200 and MP only raises it to 300? Or maybe you meant 300 more. Lets say its 300 more or 500 total.

The pot PF is: 1100 [500 + 100 + 200 +300]

You have 8d9d and the flop is 7d10Qh. Giving you both a flush draw (including a straight flush draw) + and open ended straight draw. So you have a total of 15 outs. [9 diamonds + 3 6's + 3 J's].

Effective stack size PF is 2400. You paid 500 preflop, so your remaining stack size is 1900. Villain shoves 1900 on the flop.

Pot size after the flop is 3000. You need to call 1900 to win a pot of 3000. This gives you a little over 1.5:1 odds to call.

If you call, you're all in on the flop, meaning it's guaranteed you'll see the turn and river. If we look at an odds chart, with 15 outs, we have a 54.12% of hitting on turn or river, giving us .85:1 odds. Since the pot odds are greater than the hand odds, this is a profitable call.

One thing i might have done differently is, if I have a monster draw like this, I might be the aggressor on the flop and lead out. If my opponent has anything strong, they're going to raise me regardless and I'm either calling the shove, or 4betting all-in.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having a hard time deciphering all this. It sounds like you were fairly early in the tourney? I think Philthy gave you some mathemetical reasons that you can justify a call, but I would probably fold. I don't want to go out of a tourney early chasing a flush or straight. Plus its not out of the question that he could have something like the Kd/Jd or even Ad/Jd, which would also give him potential straight draws and counterfeit your flush draw. A jack would give you a straight, but what if he has AK? It also completes his higher straight. And a diamond would give you a flush, but again, if has two diamonds, including the ace, he would have the higher flush.

You have to look at a tournament like a marathon. You're not going to win it in the first mile. You have to just hang on through for most of the race, and then put it in high gear over the final two miles.

It sounds like you are playing in a Pub Poker League tourney (Steel City Poker?). I play in the local league in my area (Atlantic Poker Tour). I had a similar situation last night in our league. Each player starts out with 20,000 chips. After the first 45 minutes, I was down to about 15,000. I won only one hand in the first hour. For the next hour, my stack stayed between 11,000 and 19,000. I could not get anything going. When my stack was about 16,000 I flopped a nut-flush draw (I had K-Q spades) but my opponent shoved me all-in (he was first to act after the flop). Since the Ace of spades was on the board, I was fairly certain he had an ace (he flipped it over to confirm - nice of him). I had about 12 BBs left. I know that a lot of people would say I should have called, but I decided not to chase.

A few hands later, with my stack size still the same, I got KK and raised it up to 4,000 preflop, getting one caller. The flop came up Q-9-6 rainbow and my opponent (again first to act) shoved all in. I called, and he flipped over Q-J. I survived the runout and got a much-needed double up to more than 30,000 chips. That put me back in business and I eventually won the tournament. Who knows what would have happened if I chased that flush earlier? If I don't get it, I'm out.

This gets back to my philosophy that it is better to fold a winner than play a loser, especially early in tournaments.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Looking over this again, I think I spent so much time trying to understand the post and break it down that I didn't realize that you had only 12 BBs.

I think this might be a fold/shove preflop depending on your opponent.

As played, I think with that flop and having only 1900 behind (<10 BBs), I'm donk jamming it. I can either pick up a decent sized pot of 1100 if villain folds and I have the odds to hit if I get called.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker