lovemiscou

lovemiscou

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I was playing in party poker freeroll for a ticket to the 215.00 tourny.
6 players left and 5 tickets available.

I am under the gun and dealth AKo ,I am last in chips about5.5 BB left closest to me has about 7BB other 4 are like 20 and more BBs.

So what should I have done? Fold or go all in?

I will tell you what i have done and the outcome of my decision was after i have
had responses from you.

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some would argue - i would shove all day long really (average stack is more then 2 times higher then us)- yea i know it is bubble but our hand is playing good vs any range and our stack is smallest+structure (no info). More important factor is not the BB amount but the M ratio, which takes into consideration ante+BB (basically how many orbits we could survive).

link

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In a satellite we only need 1bb to win it (or even 1 small fraction of a BB) but generally speaking our goal should be to attempt to maintain a stack size that has FoldEquity.

Personally I am never folding in this spot.
There's only one other stack who is close to being as short as we are.
We are UTG & if we fold here we will be going through the blinds and we will lose any FE we might have.

My guess on the outcome. HERO shoves.... BB calls with 44 - 88 & holds.

I like my outs dirty

I like my outs dirty

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Snap shove. I don't think I could ever fold here either. I'm probably not even folding if I have the chip lead and am guaranteed a ticket...or so it looks. I have definitely made the mistake of folding certain prime hands in these formats, because I had such a huge chip lead and thought a ticket was a sure thing. Then someone decides to call the short stacks shove with some crap and they double up the short stack and next thing you know your sure thing is not so sure anymore. Shoving it and hoping for folds or calls with worse hands.

Dangerboy

Dangerboy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No mistake. You played your cards right you. Against the RNG no one can do anything !!! Next time better manage the endgame :)

Frontiere

Frontiere

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In 6 players game and only 5 BB left , I will push it all in. Folding here is only option if other players are aggresive during the game , and you know they will be push bet no matter . But thats me....

lovemiscou

lovemiscou

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Thanks for you're comments.

After considering folding to try and get in top 5, came to the conclusion that i would have to win at least one flip if i wanted to get a ticket and went all in.
I was called by chip leader holding AJo, so was happy about my shove.
Chip leader ended up making strait,taught I had made good decision on that hand, You're responses affirm my decision.

So thank you guys.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Easy shove spot, I mean theirs always the chance that If you fold, someone shoves and they get called, and end up busting but you're only making the minimum amount rather than that $215, so personally, I'm not depending on what ifs but more so looking at my stack, and Jamming and being happy with the outcome whether I win or lose

S

SnowedIn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In that exact scenario, think I'm shoving QQ,KK,AK,AA and folding everything else.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The level of the other players is very important, if not crucial, here.
Do they understand finishing 5th is worth as much as finishing 1st ?
How coldblooded is the guy with 7BB ?

Fold equity is not of real importance anymore....with 5,5BB you have about none, as with 4BB.

Than, how about the structure ?
How much time before the blinds go up and by how much ?
If you get through the blinds and have 4BB left, will the (now) 7BB player be forced to do something because of higher Blinds ?

Just some thinghs to consider......

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You must jam here. And if they are somewhat competent (they probably are playing the bubble at these stakes) they will understand that they can just wait you out; so you can't rely on 1 of them taking out the other and you squeaking by.

You have the least to lose and a premium hand so GII and hope for the best.

The more interesting question would be if you were one of the 20bb stacks and the 2 short stacks fold and you hold AKo should you jam it into the other 3 big stacks? Now that's a dilemma!

B

bremensha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to make a move anyway. AK is not necessary. AQ would be enough for me.

Martinez

Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's always a tough decision knowing when to shove. I was small stack on the final table last night in the daily dollar, my second hand in held A9 sitting in mid pos. Table lunatic (I mean this in the most derogatary terms) also 2nd in chips was big blind. Everyone folded before me so with blinds of 6000/12000 and 600 antes I pushed with 90k in chips. Everyone folded except BB. He called holding 8-5 off suit and hits an 8 on the river.
As long as you do your best, that's all you can do.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Auto shove at my end.

Thats one of the best hands you can get on a 6 handed table.

No regrets.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You must jam here. And if they are somewhat competent (they probably are playing the bubble at these stakes) they will understand that they can just wait you out; so you can't rely on 1 of them taking out the other and you squeaking by.

It's actually a nightly run Canadians only Freeroll held on partypoker... with a couple/few hundred entrants, turbo structure (I think the game only lasts for a bit over 1hr.) and 5x $215 tickets up for grabs.

YES one would assume that for sure we can't sit & wait for two others to gii & cooler each other while we sit there on 4 bb's... 'BUT' it is a freeroll... strange things can happen (although not likely in this case).

Sooooo close on that game there OP. If you'd won that hand... maybe a good chance you'd have gotten the ticket.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
As far as the question of:
Do we shove with AK on 20bb's if the two small stacks have already folded?

I'd think it unlikely that either stack would call.... but once again 'it is a freeroll' (you never know what they're thinking... or 'if' they're thinking)

Maybe another question could be >>>

What range of hands would you get it in with here in HERO's spot?

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was the player with 7bb super tight or an agro donk who just lost his chips? Any reads on players?

It looks like a clear shove but maybe the 7bb dude was a spewy retard, ya never know.

IceRedefined111

IceRedefined111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think its an auto shove. Sometimes in these spots I find more fold equity by raising 3 to 4 times n shoving any flop if called. Shoving pre just makes ur hand look weaker to me anyway. The smaller raise is actually shows more strength in most spots. If u hit, u shove anything, if its a dry flop w 1 broadway card u prolly get a fold from a big stack calling pre, and u actually get a lot of folds pre depending on ur image. Chances are that the 20 BB players are going to have a pretty tight calling range here anyway both pre and post flop if they are competent at all in this type of situation. I don't think their calling range changes much from 3BBs to 8 as far as ur fold equity goes when they are 20 deep personally.

IceRedefined111

IceRedefined111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You have the least to lose and a premium hand so GII and hope for the best.

The more interesting question would be if you were one of the 20bb stacks and the 2 short stacks fold and you hold AKo should you jam it into the other 3 big stacks? Now that's a dilemma!
Easy fold with AK here w 20BBs UTG for me. I think Id prolly fold QQ here. I only need to fade 1 more person to get the 215 ticket and there are 2 short stacks. Not much value in winning any chips here, no?

taban13

taban13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have gone blind because Ollin/is already large and the next time such a good card can no longer be.

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Becouse left closest to me has about 7BB I am Al. When his stack<my stack i fold this.

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm shoving. If you fold you are most likely to go to 4,5bb the very next hand and under 4bb's the hand after. Then the guy with 7bbs will just fold any hand so you have to pray for some good cards. AK is one of those and you have to move up in chips unless you think the guy with 7 bigs will make terrible mistakes. 5,5BB still has fold equity, and i think once the blinds pass you, you will almost have none fold equity against those bigger stacks. And you'll have to pray for a better hand or hope villian with 2nd shortest stack will make a terrible mistake.

It sucks to shove here, you probably have the best hand but will be at risk when called. And probably people will donk call, but i think you still have to go with it unless you are prety sure people will be making terrible mistakes. But then again, once you hit under 4bbs i think people will make less mistakes and just fold to a ticket. And you will be blinding death or have to shove with a weaker hand then AK and will get called faster cause you will be so low in chips.

Last edited:
atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Easy fold with AK here w 20BBs UTG for me. I think Id prolly fold QQ here. I only need to fade 1 more person to get the 215 ticket and there are 2 short stacks. Not much value in winning any chips here, no?

Only guaranteeing yourself a ticket right? Chances are this guy has a hand but I wouldn't count on it being much better than QQ. It's either a flip or you got them at this point and I would personally think reads would determine the right play. All signs point to shove, but if the reads dictate something different you have to make the fold. It might not be the best fold. Then again it might just win the ticket. If you win though, you have the ticket in your hand anyway.

daredeviljo

daredeviljo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would probably allin, as you can probably be called by worse, and there is dead money as well (at least 1.5BBs). You might not be able to wait yourself in, as your opponents may have that mindset, and with their stack, you would probably lose the waiting battle. With the shove, you probably won't be in last place (chip wise). If you get called, you might have the better hand, as you might be called by weaker, especially by the deeper-stacked players.

Edit: Well, I think you got it in good. Unfortunate result though.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Yes, There are 2 short stacks but we are one of the 2 and we're the shortest and we're in real danger of blinding out. I think folding AT would be ok. Possibly even AJ. But we don't have a stack to wait out another player. Especially since (unless they're dum dums) they will be waiting us out.

Poker Tells