Looking for Hand Reviews

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So this hand came up during league on Friday and it generated a lot of discussion and debate. So I told the players I would post it and we could get everyones take on this hand.

This is the hand: https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/524vlatZv

So, player in the LJ calls an UTG raise...then CU 3 bets smallish. UTG folds and LJ calls. Was this too loose of a call with J9s? I think in most cases the answer is yes...but...here you have a pretty tight player opening from the button and a suited one gapper that can flop well with lots of straights and flushes. I would be worried about flopping top pair though because you can easily be dominated here.

There was a preflop raise to 125 that was called by LJ and then a raise to 400. If I am the CU then I would have made a pot-sized raise especially against an UTG raiser who should have a very strong range and then look to fold a lot when 4 bet. Here though, the UTG raiser folded. That means there was 600 in the pot and only 375 to call meaning he has to win about 38.5% of the time for this to be a profitable call. The CU has a tight image in this spot and is most likely on 3 betting with 88+, KQs and maybe AT+...against that range I think you can easily average out to 38.5%. Against the hand he was facing (AKs) he was close to 37%.

BUT...when looking at the GTO solution, you fold J9s when you are in the LJ facing a 3 bet from the CU and call when you are in the HJ v the CU with the same hand.

However, GTO is just a basic strategy and you can and should deviate from it whenever you feel like you can exploit another player. I feel like in this spot LJ felt like he could exploit the tight image of the CU whenever the LJ hits a hand or when they both miss.

The flop comes: 7s 2h Js

I like the LJ's check on the flop and I like the CU's continuation bet. At this point, even with top pair, the LJ has a marginal made hand but may easily be dominated by the tight CU's range. The sizing is a little awkward for the cbet. It was just over a half pot meaning that LJ only has to win 25% of the time to make this call and if I am him, I think I will. If the bet is bigger

Turn: Jh

The turn comes another Jh putting two possible flush draws on the board. LJ checks and the CU wisely checks behind recognizing that LJ called with some sort of marginal made hand on the flop. This being said. A lot of CU's range would be betting here: AA, KK, QQ, JJ and AJ and any two suited that he would have: that is 6 combos of AA, 6 KK, 6 QQ, 2 AK (only the suited hearts and spades would continue), 2 AQ and 1 JJ (since CU doesn't know it's impossible for him to have JJ) for 23 combos. When CU checks behind, now LJ knows that he has the best hand.

River: Ac

I think this is a misstep by the LJ. He has trips and the ace is certainly better for CU's 3 betting range. With the turn check, I would put him on a big ace like AK or AJ because I believe AA, KK or QQ would continue on the turn and if called then, fold to a river bet or maybe called a small river bet. The only hand you are concerned with is AA and I think it is safe to remove it from CU's range. So, in this case, I would have gone with a larger bet hoping to get called by AK or AQ.

I don't mind the CU calling this bet...it was about a third of the pot so he only has to win 20% of the time to be profitable in this spot if he thinks that LJ is going to make this move with anything other than a jack. Here, we have 2 draws that have missed and a player who is apt to bet a missed draw or 2nd pair. So I think it was a good call because when HJ checks the turn and then bets the river, he is more likely to have a missed draw or a seven than a jack.

In all, I think this hand was played pretty well by both players. Maybe the call was a little loose but if the flop come K72 or 672 I think either LJ gets away from it or goes for a bluff against CU. If he is able to, he did risk 13% of his stack on this hand but would have still been left with a little more than 50 BBs.

What does everyone else think?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So this hand came up during league on Friday and it generated a lot of discussion and debate. So I told the players I would post it and we could get everyones take on this hand.

This is the hand: https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/524vlatZv

So, player in the LJ calls an UTG raise...then CU 3 bets smallish. UTG folds and LJ calls. Was this too loose of a call with J9s? I think in most cases the answer is yes...but...here you have a pretty tight player opening from the button and a suited one gapper that can flop well with lots of straights and flushes. I would be worried about flopping top pair though because you can easily be dominated here.

There was a preflop raise to 125 that was called by LJ and then a raise to 400. If I am the CU then I would have made a pot-sized raise especially against an UTG raiser who should have a very strong range and then look to fold a lot when 4 bet. Here though, the UTG raiser folded. That means there was 600 in the pot and only 375 to call meaning he has to win about 38.5% of the time for this to be a profitable call. The CU has a tight image in this spot and is most likely on 3 betting with 88+, KQs and maybe AT+...against that range I think you can easily average out to 38.5%. Against the hand he was facing (AKs) he was close to 37%.

BUT...when looking at the GTO solution, you fold J9s when you are in the LJ facing a 3 bet from the CU and call when you are in the HJ v the CU with the same hand.

However, GTO is just a basic strategy and you can and should deviate from it whenever you feel like you can exploit another player. I feel like in this spot LJ felt like he could exploit the tight image of the CU whenever the LJ hits a hand or when they both miss.

The flop comes: 7s 2h Js

I like the LJ's check on the flop and I like the CU's continuation bet. At this point, even with top pair, the LJ has a marginal made hand but may easily be dominated by the tight CU's range. The sizing is a little awkward for the cbet. It was just over a half pot meaning that LJ only has to win 25% of the time to make this call and if I am him, I think I will. If the bet is bigger

Turn: Jh

The turn comes another Jh putting two possible flush draws on the board. LJ checks and the CU wisely checks behind recognizing that LJ called with some sort of marginal made hand on the flop. This being said. A lot of CU's range would be betting here: AA, KK, QQ, JJ and AJ and any two suited that he would have: that is 6 combos of AA, 6 KK, 6 QQ, 2 AK (only the suited hearts and spades would continue), 2 AQ and 1 JJ (since CU doesn't know it's impossible for him to have JJ) for 23 combos. When CU checks behind, now LJ knows that he has the best hand.

River: Ac

I think this is a misstep by the LJ. He has trips and the ace is certainly better for CU's 3 betting range. With the turn check, I would put him on a big ace like AK or AJ because I believe AA, KK or QQ would continue on the turn and if called then, fold to a river bet or maybe called a small river bet. The only hand you are concerned with is AA and I think it is safe to remove it from CU's range. So, in this case, I would have gone with a larger bet hoping to get called by AK or AQ.

I don't mind the CU calling this bet...it was about a third of the pot so he only has to win 20% of the time to be profitable in this spot if he thinks that LJ is going to make this move with anything other than a jack. Here, we have 2 draws that have missed and a player who is apt to bet a missed draw or 2nd pair. So I think it was a good call because when HJ checks the turn and then bets the river, he is more likely to have a missed draw or a seven than a jack.

In all, I think this hand was played pretty well by both players. Maybe the call was a little loose but if the flop come K72 or 672 I think either LJ gets away from it or goes for a bluff against CU. If he is able to, he did risk 13% of his stack on this hand but would have still been left with a little more than 50 BBs.

What does everyone else think?

Thank U 4 Posting.

Flop raise size is a mistake.

If we look at just these hands vs each other Raiser is giving too good of odds vs the Caller and we had 2 players not just one who could have called.

3x 125 = 375 + 125 + 50 + 25= 575 as the projected raise size. If we adjust down from there it should be to no less than 500.
We should have some 3 bet bluffs here, so larger sizing is better to be balanced.

Our stack is 2.6k ish so everyone folding gives us a 13% pop.

Flop

R has to think about what our C called 2 raises with and is now OOP on the second raise call?

No AA NO KK- NO QQ -JJ maybe 10-22 possible.
AK maybe AQs maybe AJs maybe
KJ-J9s obviously. 109s-108s 98s 97s 87s all of these have 38% equity.

For the purpose of this discussion we will stop there.

So C can have all 3 sets. Can have 5 different Jx hands and all the combos minus the raiser's ADKD -all the flush draws.
Several combo draws 10 spade 9 spade for instance.

Yet R dominates only one set of hands the AQ hands maybe some A10s if the caller is really a poor player.

Plus if the villain has AJ it is really ugly for R.

R bets 550 making the pot 1550 with 1795 in stack.

What good hands do you think C calls OOP vs 3 bets vs a tight player then folds?

Would not the caller fold all their junk for 400 leaving R 1950 which R could shove turn when called? Pot would be 1800

If C has draws here why call 550 making the pot 2100 when R has 1795 left. Most if not all players going with the draw check raise shove that flop no Ace no King on flop and if C gets called by AA they could hit their draw.

If the answer is C is really bad and will chase, then why are we betting 550?
There are 2 better bet sizes vs a weak C, small and big in that spot.

Turn fine

River

7s2hJsJhAc

R hits the Ace and C leads as a bluff for 350

2450 to win if we call 350 and C suddenly becomes so good at poker C knows R could fold for that? C knows R would not have checked AA KK QQ on a board where R expects C to have a lot of J's.
How many AK AQ combos does R have yet C thinks a 350 bluff bet gets it done.
That C thinks that 350 folds KK QQ as well.
C has 109 off suit called 3 bets with it pre OOP called a gut shot for 550 and now has the courage to bluff it for 350

C knows some how R will bluff the ace if C does not blocker bet but R will not shove raise as a bluff vs a blocker bet. So C is betting 88 for 350 into an Ace river to stop bluffs.

R calls thinking C would bet for value with worse than an AK but only bets 350.

Just some thoughts.

Hope this helps
:):)

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank U 4 Posting.

Flop raise size is a mistake.

If we look at just these hands vs each other Raiser is giving too good of odds vs the Caller and we had 2 players not just one who could have called.

3x 125 = 375 + 125 + 50 + 25= 575 as the projected raise size. If we adjust down from there it should be to no less than 500.
We should have some 3 bet bluffs here, so larger sizing is better to be balanced.

Our stack is 2.6k ish so everyone folding gives us a 13% pop.

Flop

R has to think about what our C called 2 raises with and is now OOP on the second raise call?

No AA NO KK- NO QQ -JJ maybe 10-22 possible.
AK maybe AQs maybe AJs maybe
KJ-J9s obviously. 109s-108s 98s 97s 87s all of these have 38% equity.

For the purpose of this discussion we will stop there.

So C can have all 3 sets. Can have 5 different Jx hands and all the combos minus the raiser's ADKD -all the flush draws.
Several combo draws 10 spade 9 spade for instance.

Yet R dominates only one set of hands the AQ hands maybe some A10s if the caller is really a poor player.

Plus if the villain has AJ it is really ugly for R.

R bets 550 making the pot 1550 with 1795 in stack.

What good hands do you think C calls OOP vs 3 bets vs a tight player then folds?

Would not the caller fold all their junk for 400 leaving R 1950 which R could shove turn when called? Pot would be 1800

If C has draws here why call 550 making the pot 2100 when R has 1795 left. Most if not all players going with the draw check raise shove that flop no Ace no King on flop and if C gets called by AA they could hit their draw.

If the answer is C is really bad and will chase, then why are we betting 550?
There are 2 better bet sizes vs a weak C, small and big in that spot.

Turn fine

River

7s2hJsJhAc

R hits the Ace and C leads as a bluff for 350

2450 to win if we call 350 and C suddenly becomes so good at poker C knows R could fold for that? C knows R would not have checked AA KK QQ on a board where R expects C to have a lot of J's.
How many AK AQ combos does R have yet C thinks a 350 bluff bet gets it done.
That C thinks that 350 folds KK QQ as well.
C has 109 off suit called 3 bets with it pre OOP called a gut shot for 550 and now has the courage to bluff it for 350

C knows some how R will bluff the ace if C does not blocker bet but R will not shove raise as a bluff vs a blocker bet. So C is betting 88 for 350 into an Ace river to stop bluffs.

R calls thinking C would bet for value with worse than an AK but only bets 350.

Just some thoughts.

Hope this helps

Great breakdown...knowing these players, I guess I have a slightly different perspective.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great breakdown...knowing these players, I guess I have a slightly different perspective.

Thank U 4 Responding

Knowing these players suggests you have some data points that enable you to be more accurate with regard to the final river bet. That could very well be true.

The caller or C may suspect that R would call with KK QQ 1010 if C led but check them behind. However your analysis on the turn was that R would bet all those hands on the turn.
Therefore C should not be targeting KK QQ 1010 but in fact be targeting AK AQ.
Thus C's lead should be larger so that it would correspond with more bluffs that C could have if C did not know that R was always betting turn with the above range.

Also C could check, as R with AK AQ should value bet at least 350 themselves and then C can check raise shove. While the check raise shove does not get paid very often C would already have gotten = value from R's bet and it makes R think could this be a bluff sometimes.
Unless you know that R is never value betting that river. Why you would suspect that I do not know.
C could also lead shove the Ace river targeting R's most likely hands the AK AQ turn check back. This also looks like it may be some bluffs or poorly played AX but you may know R is never calling that bet from C so C should know not to make that bet very often.

Regardless of what hand C thought R was holding the 350 is too small. R has 179x left so 500 -700 could also be called by a range very close to what C should be expecting R to call the 350 bet with. C is the looser V and R must think C would bluff the Ace sometimes so a 500 call leaves R 1290ish 25 BB's to play with. 700 is only 4 BB more so 21 BB left for R to play. Even a tight player with a range of mostly AK AQ is going to crying call a lead that size.

Just some more thoughts

Hope this helps

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands