How to get max value with the nuts?

L

LaughingHyena

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand is from a NLHE single table tournament. I flopped the nut straight and rivered the nut straight flush. However, I only made one small bet on the turn during the course of the hand, probably missing out on a lot of value. My primary question is how would you have played this hand differently? Also, I think hand reading is important for bet sizing considerations. What range do you think villain has after checking the flop and calling on the turn? Thank you for any advice.

http://www.boomplayer.com/poker-hands/Boom/20173185_A49D83D5E7

A note on table image/dynamics: My main concern was turning my hand face up, so to speak. I had been consistently betting with and getting to showdown with strong hands. My opponents had started to adjust, folding more often to my bets. So, I wanted to give other players a chance to take a stab at the pot instead of scaring them away.

T

TheImperator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet flop.

Bet river.

Obviously, checking the flop was fine, but I don't see any reason why you don't bet the river for value here. You're hoping he has the Ace of Spades and then you get paid through the nose for your straight flush.

The exact reason you play these types of hands is to stack them off when you hit. You were playing from the blind, but the same principles still apply...

Saying "my opponents had started to adjust and were folding to my bets" is a good thing. You would be able to be stealing more and the like, but you're not going to extract value with the nuts by checking two of three streets postflop. Especially with a checked flop and just a small call on the turn, you can't really expect him to bet into you on that board, so the check raise you were likely going for was ill-advised.

bushy_lufc

bushy_lufc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You must build the pot on earlier streets... especially if you are going to check trap as there must be a bigger pot worth bluffing for.

leshausa03

leshausa03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad luck that just dropped three cards of the same suit. Everyone was afraid to get flush. Therefore, they do not play.
I, too, in such situations, try do not make big bets. Waiting until my opponents makes the first move