Hero fold with QQ

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This hand happened after I had already made the money, there was about 185 players and the next pay jump was at 152. The Jump is for about 1 buy in which isn't significant but I play micros and I'm trying to build my BR so the ladder is worth about 1% of my BR. I'm never really sure what to do in these situations and I never know if being narrowly ahead or far behind is worth my tournament life. I think I could have made my open maybe a 2.5X but I really don't know if this is a situation I should be looking to get 15 more big blinds in at that point of a tournament.

I feel like it's probably really nitty but I ended up going pretty deep in the tournament so I'm not sure if that's positive reinforcement or being results oriented in a 1 game sample size.

Your thoughts are much appreciated and I look forward to hearing them!

PokerStars - 600/1200 Ante 150 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 25.36 BB
BB: 12.62 BB
UTG: 7.09 BB
Hero (UTG+1): 26.11 BB
MP: 10.75 BB
MP+1: 17.38 BB
MP+2: 22.52 BB
CO: 11.1 BB
BTN: 30.63 BB

9 players post ante of 0 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.62 BB) Hero has Q Q

fold, Hero raises to 2 BB, fold, MP+1 raises to 17.26 BB and is all-in, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold

MP+1 wins 6.62 BB

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never fold a preflop all-in with QQ.

All-in preflop = scared

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless you know the player to be very tight, this should be a snap call. With 17 BBs, Villain is shoving pocket pairs, suited aces, and suited broadways. Against this range, you are only really concerned with AA, KK, and AK(which you are still ahead of). Villain has so many more hands that he will shove here that you are way ahead of. This is a call.

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With no hud i just call and shrug when he has AA or KK but he has heaps more in his 3 bet shove range. AJs+ 99+ i think against this range your happy to get it in.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes,,to win tournaments,you need to maximize your premium hands,,, Snap call. :cool:

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at 26BB QQ is all in for sure....at 35+ it is used as over pair trap...do not reraise to induce an all-in. At 62BB+ it used as set trap and a pair of queens. Yes any king or/ace has atleast 30 making every all in a gamble except AA and even those lose 20%.

What do we know about villian? I am likely not folding at approx 25 BB you are there to gamble JAM IT. Now if it is begining of MTT I'd snap fold a pair of queens so quick id break my wrist.

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If they're tight, that's a good fold I think, you have to beat 2 guys, you have still 24BB and don't need to go vs 2 all-ins

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If they're tight, that's a good fold I think, you have to beat 2 guys, you have still 24BB and don't need to go vs 2 all-ins

This is a heads up pot. We opened with a minraise, and mp+1 jammed his 17bb over the top of us. This is pretty much the easiest call ever as we are totally crushing even a tight reshoving range like someone else said I like the range of AJs+,99+ and throw in a few others at least a small percentage of the time.

No way am I folding here, even if it went multi-way I don't think I'm ever folding with a great hand that could easily give us a huge stack.

B

blackchip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Questionable

I might fold, its only queens. Depends on VP & PFR and how many in the hand, but ya can't fall in love with them.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's hard to throw here, but you did it. I probably could not. Too many hands we dominate (88+).

qRock

qRock

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s very bad to think about prize money in the ITM area. Most of the money is focused on the final table and it is important to be aimed at it, because then the game in MTT loses its meaning.

In this hand, we need to know buy in, your style and pusher style. Your fold would be + EV only if the range of his hands is AA AK KK. Yes, he should have a strong hand, but perhaps AQ JJ TT will be in his spectrum, and then the fold looks terrible.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TT+ it is call for me with this stack.
You can fold AA here, but it will be very stupid. This hand (QQ) very strong vs his range.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
having reached the 3rd place in the freeroll and earning $ 10, I thought that I grabbed God by the beard. And then a month sat at the table, sadly watching others play. Sometimes it seemed to me that in my deck there are no cards higher than 10 and most of them are 2. Then I began to lose with pocket pairs from explosives and above and a pair of AKs were generally weaker than 72. You are trying to make rational calculations and maybe they really would correct if the appearance of the cards on the board had a random character. Not participating in the game, I carefully watched what was going on at the table and I can say with confidence: on PorerStars, this is not all right.:confused:

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Upon hearing your responses and running the situation in my head a few more times I think this was probably a bad fold given the conditions. I don't then the ladder created enough value to make the fold justifiable. Maybe if it was a situation where it was on the stone bubble or a final table buble of other significant jump but I think it probably cost me money as doubling up which would be likely puts me into a situation to move up numerous ladders. Is this a situation I could look up for ICM implications? I don't completely understand that concept

H

haystack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is a snap call his range is to big not to you are ahead of all but 2 hands here and if he has those oh well on to the next game.

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm

I actually think if you had called that would be a really cool move to min raise with QQ and induce a short stack shove. I've had that happen to me where I had AQs and they min raise in early position with JJ+. Most of the time that is a win for the min raiser. It definitely depends on how tight the opponent is. If you know they are only shoving QQ+ then your call is dangerous, other wise, you are ahead of most of their range with 40% of you stack behind just in case. Sounds like a call in my opinion.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand happened after I had already made the money, there was about 185 players and the next pay jump was at 152. The Jump is for about 1 buy in which isn't significant but I play micros and I'm trying to build my BR so the ladder is worth about 1% of my BR. I'm never really sure what to do in these situations and I never know if being narrowly ahead or far behind is worth my tournament life. I think I could have made my open maybe a 2.5X but I really don't know if this is a situation I should be looking to get 15 more big blinds in at that point of a tournament.

I feel like it's probably really nitty but I ended up going pretty deep in the tournament so I'm not sure if that's positive reinforcement or being results oriented in a 1 game sample size.

fold, Hero raises to 2 BB, fold, MP+1 raises to 17.26 BB and is all-in, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold

MP+1 wins 6.62 BB

I think folding here is too tight. Unless your read on villain is that he is a total nit then you should always consider making this call. You will be ahead the vast majority of the time against the re-shove stack. He would be shoving lots of pocket pairs , Ax hand and Suited Broadways .The only hands your behind is AA and KK. If you are folding queens to a re-shove you are folding way to many hands and will become very vunerable and exploitable to re-shoves.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad folding, you're folding too much when you do this with QQ. It's wasting equity.

Yeah I would agree. I think it was far too tight looking back at it now. Leaves way too much money on the table and makes me very easily exploitable too

maezma

maezma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never fold a preflop all-in with QQ.

All-in preflop = scared
It is a very strong hand but we must also bear in mind that on the flop, turn and river almost always comes out some A or K. Depending on what is at stake I would think a lot. However, with the stack difference between one and another if I had paid in this case.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Surely that was a call for me
As even with AK shove it’s not guaranteed that hand will win.
But QQ is a sure winner
So yes a call was good.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

MP+1 wins 6.62 BB

That is insane. How did you fold that? Even if that guy was tight, that would be a snap call to me.

Folding in Poker