Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve got a hand from a recent MTT.

Stack sizes:
HJ - 25bb effective
Me - 30bb effective
Button - 12ish bb effective

I was on the button with QJ of hearts. Folds round to the HJ who bets 2.5x blind. I call. Bb calls and we see a flop. The board comes out Q 8 3 rainbow with 1 heart. So I’ve got a backdoor flush and top pair.

Bb checks, HJ continuation bets pot. I call. Bb folds.

The turn is the 9h. Giving me the gut shot straight & flush draw with top pair.

HJ checks, I check. River comes out a 2 and I miss both my draws.

HJ leads out going all in. With about a 1/2 sized bet.

Do I call? From my read, he was playing LAG up to this point. So, the only hands I lose to right now is AA or KK? Which are at the top of his range?

Anyways, I call and he shows Kings. Did I make the right call? Is that +EV?

Cheers

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He , HiJack missed a street of value on turn for no good apparent reason...if he shows up with KK O well if he shows up with rivered 2 pair or better kicker it is on you. I knowing its a LAG player and it would cost my MTT life would fold...though your call is understandable. I can think sometimes they wont call the turn but will call the river because their hand cant withstand 3 street of bets. If you had like 50BB+ you did not much wrong. Dont tell us the results next time.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree I dont know why the KK checks the turn. I would have not put him on that hand after the check. If i have KK there im worried about the str8 and flush draws so i probably go all in on the turn. So would i have called on the river? probably but it would depend on where we were in the tournament. I dont want to go broke with just one pair.

J

jwaffles33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
call

i fold preflop
hands like that i feel get me in trouble:eek:

S

Streetwylde

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wouldn't you also lose to QQ or AQ or KQ if you both hit top pair? Also he could've hit a set? Seems you only had top pair and didn't have much in the pot. This is one of those depend hands. Depends on lots of things. If you are in good shape in the tourney and by calling his all in if it will take more then 30% of your stack away or maybe take you out of the tourney it's an easy fold.

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Stack sizes:
HJ - 25bb effective
Me - 30bb effective

I was on the button with QJ of hearts. Folds round to the HJ who bets 2.5x blind. I call. Bb calls and we see a flop. The board comes out Q 8 3 rainbow with 1 heart. So I’ve got a backdoor flush and top pair.

Do I call? From my read, he was playing LAG up to this point. So, the only hands I lose to right now is AA or KK? Which are at the top of his range?

Cheers
It's hard to make an unbiased decision knowing the outcome already. But i would have to say as played its an entirely read dependent situation. I know you describe him as a LAG player but sometimes you just have to lay it down. A lot of hands beat you at this point including better Queens and since hes LAG there are quite a few two pairs he could decide to jam with here. Maybe I'm being to nitty and results oriented but i think you could have found the fold button on this one.

A

ankitgupta45

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A new thing that u could have used in this hand or u can use in future, how about firing very small on turn just to see where u r at in the hand , if he shoves u can decide if u want to call or not ,u getting FD on turn makes things harder for u to fold . but i believe u can make probe bets next time where villain shows weakness just to make sure he is really weak and not just trapping . I would suggest this only for stack above 30 BB and u have some chippies when u make this play on turn.

PS : You should focus on his open rase size...2,5x . players alter open raise size based on their hand strength and u can definitely look out for tells based on how much players are opening for.

T

TDTODDY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're losing to so many hands. I would have a hard time calling a shove with QJ top pair. That's just me.

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QJ it's kinda hard to make a decision onless you are following how he plays like a 2.5 bet what it means an so forth.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think it's -EV given how the hand was played. Sounds like the villain's Cbet was pretty strong on the flop? Your first hint. Pair of queens is not very strong with QJ. Not a big fan of the kicker and definitely not worth putting your stack behind a pair of queens.

M

Mr_Nuisance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is easy to understand a call in this situation, but even has a lag the fact that he led out preflop and postflop both give the feeling of a pocket pair or top pair at least. The check on the turn by him does not make sense almost ever, but if there was a flush draw on the board, a fishy player might check there just to protect himself from losing too much money by the river. Once he saw the river blanked, that's when he decided to ship it. It is a very unusual play, but the fact he could be playing hands like KQ, AQ, QQ, 88, JTs, just makes me feel uncomfortable to call of the rest of my stack with top pair and busted draws.

E

EL1t1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jamming over his preflop open is super profitable for 25bb effective, i would jam pre most of the time in this spot, but as played im calling most of the time his river all in.

T

TylerJobsonCW

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Cheers all for the help on this! I understand where your coming from.

S

Sprockett

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can not understand why so many of you will fold this on the river. The shove is half the pot, and we have top pair. If we are calling pre this is the kind of board we could hope for. You could argue this is a fold pre flop, as his raise is suspicious/ fishy with 12BB, but now we have to go with it, imo. I would also like to add that villain didnt show to mutch strength the way he played it, and this is not a huge pot.

Just my 2 cents

Sprockett

FerC182

FerC182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Stack sizes:
HJ - 25bb effective
Me - 30bb effective

Cheers

I think you're right, after the turn has shown a 9, HJ was a little unsure of betting because in his range could easily have a QT, KT, 99 but of course if you had gone allinn he would have paid but depending on He even dropped the pair of K, you played well.

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me this really comes down to the opponent. If I am the villain in this case, I may play a broad range of hands in this exact same fashion, except for the flop bet ... no reason to CB pot-sized here.

Winning hands I play like this would be the AQ, KQ hands. AA, KK I likely go for 3 streets of value. QQ I may get less value from, as I've crippled the deck flopping top set on a dry board. As far as bluff/semi-bluff hands, I may try the same line with AK, JJ, TT, AJ, depending on read on opponent.

As played, I lean more toward fold from your perspective, but if I have history with opponent having reasonable bluff ranges in their arsenal, may make the call if I were you.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands