rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hi guys, yesterday i was deep in a 3,30$ bounty mtt on pokerstars. i'm sitting on a confortable stack 189K. 170 players left and we are already ITM.
So the blinds are 2500/5000 ante 800
The action folded to me on the HJ i was dealt pocket 7s. i raise it just under 2 and half the BB to 12K
The CO (312K) 3Bet to 35K
The action folded around to me. Villain is an aggressive russian player, capable of 3betting with a large range. Here i'm not 4betting cause i don't want to play a very big pot OOP. and folding is out of question. so i decided to just call.

FLOP (84700): 4 6 8 rainbow
This is a great flop for my hand thus i have to figure out the range of villain. i decided to just check.
Villain bet 28.798
with a bet lesser than his 3bet raise, i was taught that he missed the flop. i don't want to discourage him from spewing more chips so i just call.
Turn (142.296): Kh
Ouch what an ugly turn, this king may hit his range (AK, KQs, KJs) so i just checked again. he bet 54K giving me 3,6 to 1 pot odds to call. i have 6 outs i shouldn't call but i called.
River (250K): Qs
Another ugly card that may hit his range. i missed my draws so i checked again.
Villain pushed All-in. I have 71,5k left behind.
Here my taught is he has the K or nothing i went into the tank (63 second left in the clock)
He could have AT, AJ, Axs, JTs, i don't think he has a pocket pair 9 or better, cause he didn't bet big on the flop.
So doing some math
AK 16 combination
AQ 16 combination
KQ 16 combination
KJ 16 combination
QJ 16 combination
for a total of 80 combination that beat me.
AJ 16 combination
AT 16 combinaiton
JT 16 combination
Ax there's a lot... i think that it's 50/50
But after 2 second only left into the clock i decided to play it safe and just fold.
Villain showed
Ad2d and won the pot
Now that i replayed the hand, i missplayed it. i had to shove it on the flop cause i had a better equity against Villain 10% range.

If it was you, what's your play here in this situation ??

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
once we raise 2.5x off of a 30bb stack we can just easily make the fold with 77s preflop. Basically with our relative stack sizes here - we are not getting proper odds to set mine and that's what we are doing - more often than not we are going to see flops with at least 1 overcard if not two - we are going to check/fold a ton of flops our villan will be cbetting and thus we are just wasting chips calling the 3b OOP here.

That being said, you have 2 options preflop once you have been 3bet - fold - or 4b shove. With 30ish BB I can't imagine 77s being a massively profitable shove - but its gotta be close. I am certain 99s+ (probably 88s too) are easily profitable for the rejam here even vs the 3bet.

Anyhow - in summary - when we flat the 3bet here we are simply committing too much of our stack (18-20%) just to be put into a situation where we will be check-folding alot. It is for this reason that I hate this option most - for me, this is a fold or jam spot - and if the player is known to be agro and wide, im snap jamming 77+ down his throat in this spot - thinking very hard about the same with 66s - and snap folding 55s or less.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think that being 38 BBs deep before the hand really merits playing the hand the way you did.

You're right. That was a good flop for you, and you should have made the decision right there as to whether you were going to go with the hand. If you were going to go with it, check/shove would have been your line.

J

Julez97

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't like how you played this hand. The first problem is that you aren't very deep. So when you do call his 3-bet, you are going to be committed to the pot a lot earlier than if you had 100b stack. I'd lean towards folding, but jamming all-in can be really good if this player is 3-betting light.

As played, the SPR is around 2.5:1, and once villain bets it falls under 2:1. So its a really awkward spot. Calling only to fold turn is disastrous. I think on this particular flop you should mainly be shoving. This is one of the best flops you could hope for, and if you are behind do have a straight re-draw. This is where you need to make your decision, everything after is just a mistake.

F

Frank7Chipman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Post flop response

I would bet post flop. You are probably ahead and you block any chance that he will hit the turn. You also learn where you are at. If he comes over the top you have to fold.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know, its annoying to get 3-bet by "an aggressive russian player" AKA a regular. But even so folding 77 to his 3-bet is the best option, as others have already suggested. Yes his range is probably wide, but he have us covered, he have position, and our hand play very poorly, unless we flop a set. So if we get involved, a lot of the time the result will be something like this, where he end up bluffing us out of the pot anyway. So why not let him bluff us out of a small pot rather than a big one?

If I did end up calling his 3-bet, because I was on tilt or something, then I would check-jam the flop. He is likely playing pretty perfect against that line, but it takes away his positional advantage and protect us from being bluffed out of the pot later. And even though he play perfect, he is giving up around 25% equity, when he fold his C-bets with random overcards. Which he should have very often, especially if he is C-betting a lot as most "aggressive russian players" are.

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I probably would have folded to his 3bet preflop. To avoid the exact kind of situations you got into.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think 77 against him is a fine hand to call his 3bet. You seem to have a good idea of his play and range.

That said, I would have check/shoved the favorable flop. Nothing on the board is in his range, and even if he has an over pair, you have 6 outs.

Calling is the worst thing you can do with an aggressive bully, unless you have the nuts. Either raise or fold.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys, yesterday i was deep in a 3,30$ bounty mtt on pokerstars. i'm sitting on a confortable stack 189K. 170 players left and we are already ITM.
So the blinds are 2500/5000 ante 800
The action folded to me on the HJ i was dealt pocket 7s. i raise it just under 2 and half the BB to 12K
The CO (312K) 3Bet to 35K
The action folded around to me. Villain is an aggressive russian player, capable of 3betting with a large range. Here i'm not 4betting cause i don't want to play a very big pot OOP. and folding is out of question. so i decided to just call.

FLOP (84700): 4 6 8 rainbow
This is a great flop for my hand thus i have to figure out the range of villain. i decided to just check.
Villain bet 28.798
with a bet lesser than his 3bet raise, i was taught that he missed the flop. i don't want to discourage him from spewing more chips so i just call.
Turn (142.296): Kh
Ouch what an ugly turn, this king may hit his range (AK, KQs, KJs) so i just checked again. he bet 54K giving me 3,6 to 1 pot odds to call. i have 6 outs i shouldn't call but i called.
River (250K): Qs
Another ugly card that may hit his range. i missed my draws so i checked again.
Villain pushed All-in. I have 71,5k left behind.
Here my taught is he has the K or nothing i went into the tank (63 second left in the clock)
He could have AT, AJ, Axs, JTs, i don't think he has a pocket pair 9 or better, cause he didn't bet big on the flop.
So doing some math
AK 16 combination
AQ 16 combination
KQ 16 combination
KJ 16 combination
QJ 16 combination
for a total of 80 combination that beat me.
AJ 16 combination
AT 16 combinaiton
JT 16 combination
Ax there's a lot... i think that it's 50/50
But after 2 second only left into the clock i decided to play it safe and just fold.
Villain showed
Ad2d and won the pot
Now that i replayed the hand, i missplayed it. i had to shove it on the flop cause i had a better equity against Villain 10% range.

If it was you, what's your play here in this situation ??

Thank U 4 posting

You said you do not want to play a big pot OOP but calling makes the pot size over half your stack size, that is the very definition of a big pot. Have you studied Stack to Pot Ratio Strategy? It helps you think about spots like this in a more concise way.

Hope this helps

:)

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Thank U 4 posting

You said you do not want to play a big pot OOP but calling makes the pot size over half your stack size, that is the very definition of a big pot. Have you studied Stack to Pot Ratio Strategy? It helps you think about spots like this in a more concise way.

Hope this helps

:)
Hello,
I didn't notice it, you're right it's almost half my stack. Thanks for your help.
Actually I'm studying the SPR concept but I have to familiarize with it in my play. When it's low you have to be more aggressive. If I did relise it in this hand it would be a shove on the flop or a fold preflop.

T

TeeShark

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket Pairs - Sudden death or Genius Play

I absolutely hate getting pocket rags (2-9) because they can get you into so much trouble. Generally I bet the pot with pocket Pairs (T - A). Very and I mean very rarely do I try to slow play rockets or any other T-K pairs because I always get my arse handed to me. If you had the kind of luck I have in life in general you probably wouldnt even play poker but I R stupid.

Anyways, I usually just call the blind for pairs of 2-7 and fold to most bets over the blind unless I have watched the players making the bets. Most the time it's just the nuts acting retarded so you can safely call but when I'm in it to win it I tighten up play 2 fold so if I cannot limp to the flop with pockets 2-7, I just told em. If I don't flop trips and someone bets I usually fold unless the flop has 9 or less as highest card. My thinking is they have AK, AQ or some other good hand and with only 2 cards left to go I may win the hand. If a T-A flops and someone bets I fold em. The grey area for me is 8's and 9's but more often than not I play them like I do 2-7. I hate getting JJ worse than just about any hand however and I prefer something like 89 suited, TJ suited as opposed to low pocket Pairs. I would rather play 36 suited then pocket 2's lol. But after stating all this you guys now know why I'm no pro... But I have a lot of fun and actually do quite well for myself in MTT's and SnG's. If I could just stay off the cash tables waiting for tournaments to start, I might even make a little money playing. I get my ass handed to me on the cash tables going all in with trips thinking I got it in the bag only to lose to some dumbass who played 25 suited all the way to the river calling pot bets the whole way and then they river the flush or straight. While they seem to be a dumbass to me, we must always remember some people are just more fortunate than others and so the amount of money being wagered may be pennies to them when it's a lot to us. So of course they are gonna call every bet to the river. This playing at a lower stakes table may be the correct thing to do then if you find yourself having an aneurysm over losing a $20 hand. Please note that I am not giving advice, just sharing with you how I play so please do not hold me responsible for your losses and I do hope that you win every hand you play. God bless

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands