Freeroll tournament hand: Should you call of fold?

imnoobpoker

imnoobpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi! I just finished my freeroll tournament and I had this situation. Was it a right fold or not?

Table '1843106775 1308' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
Seat 1: mandea88 (3650 in chips)
Seat 2: Ramrin (2908 in chips)
Seat 3: Matroskin90 (1389 in chips)
Seat 4: felipe_fierr (2380 in chips)
Seat 5: Me (2845 in chips)
Seat 6: nonrev78 (740 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 7: TTFC19 (2455 in chips)
Seat 8: ke1987 (730 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 9: o pau que (850 in chips)
mandea88: posts small blind 75
Ramrin: posts big blind 150
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Me Q♠ J♠
Matroskin90: folds
felipe_fierr: folds
Me: raises 150 to 300
nonrev78: folds
TTFC19: folds
ke1987: folds
o pau que: folds
mandea88: calls 225
Ramrin: folds
*** FLOP *** <font color='red'>J<font face="arial">♦</font></font> <font color='red'>9<font face="arial">♦</font></font> <font color='black'>2♣</font>
mandea88: checks
Me: bets 375
mandea88: calls 375
*** TURN *** <font color='red'>J<font face="arial">♦</font></font> <font color='red'>9<font face="arial">♦</font></font> <font color='black'>2♣</font> <font color='red'>3♥</font>
mandea88: checks
Me: bets 400
mandea88: raises 650 to 1050
Me: calls 650
*** RIVER *** <font color='red'>J<font face="arial">♦</font></font> <font color='red'>9<font face="arial">♦</font></font> <font color='black'>2♣</font> <font color='red'>3♥</font> <font color='black'>8♣</font>
mandea88: bets 1925 and is all-in
Me: folds
Uncalled bet (1925) returned to mandea88
mandea88 collected 3600 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***

I had a high pair, but I was afraid of calling. What should you have done?

16clumsyandshy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The flop turn and river cars are not showing for me here.

Nazar Fedyk

Nazar Fedyk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I see 2 ways: he got set on flop (9-9 or 2-2 or even J-J) or he had open-ended flush draw and bluffed you on the turn and river

Nazar Fedyk

Nazar Fedyk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
but he could also have a bigger pocket pair, but in that case he would probably re-raise you on preflop

Nazar Fedyk

Nazar Fedyk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As for me, I would also fold in this situation because he probably got something and with bigger chip stack it's too risky to bluff and lose this leadership

D

Dwarf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO small blind is bluffing here.

He flats a min raise

Attempts to check raise bluff you off of what he thinks is a flush draw bet.

Then ships it all in when your perceived flush draw misses.

AJ would probably raise your minbet preflop.

KJ might play this way like small blind did.

Q10 is only doing this as Q10 diamonds.

I would shove vs the check raise in this FREEROLL spot. (not in a Cards Chat Freeroll though)

PokerNuts01

PokerNuts01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Turn bet 400 is too small! He took the opportunity.. I would instant shove m8

imnoobpoker

imnoobpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The flop turn and river cars are not showing for me here.

Still not showing?

As for me, I would also fold in this situation because he probably got something and with bigger chip stack it's too risky to bluff and lose this leadership

I had the same idea.

IMO small blind is bluffing here.

He flats a min raise

Attempts to check raise bluff you off of what he thinks is a flush draw bet.

Then ships it all in when your perceived flush draw misses.

AJ would probably raise your minbet preflop.

KJ might play this way like small blind did.

Q10 is only doing this as Q10 diamonds.

I would shove vs the check raise in this FREEROLL spot. (not in a Cards Chat Freeroll though)

So you had made the call?

Turn bet 400 is too small! He took the opportunity.. I would instant shove m8

How can I improve this? 3B?

16clumsyandshy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see the flop now. In my experience, check/call, check/raise is almost always a strong hand, mostly a set. I think QTd check raises and gets it in on the flop. I don't see too much semi bluffing in freerolls with flush draws. It's too fancy. As player, if you call turn then you might have to call River, or shove on turn if you think villain is bluffing. Based on the pot, he should not be folding for 2000 more. So either he has it or he has a bluff. Don't give him the opportunity to bluff you off your hand on the river.

16clumsyandshy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a very tough spot though. It takes a lot of discipline to fold. I know because I had the same spot yesterday blind vs blind.

Villain opens SB I call with KQ.

Flop K52dd

Villain check calls a large bet.

Turn 3

Villain check raises a large bet from me.

River blank I called and he showed A4 for the turned straight. But in this case I knew he had to have A4 or total air. He would not do it with any other hand.

D

Dwarf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So you had made the call?

Yes, I would have. (I'm by no means an all star though) The main reason is because of your 400 turn bet. I'm guessing the pot on the turn was 1500. Your 400 bet looks like you missed the flush on the turn.

SB check raise to 1050 is weak as well. You have to call 650 to win a 2950 pot. Which a flush draw would still call. If you choose to call here, folding on a low non diamond river card is questionable. (Yes he could have 89 J9 but really if you were ahead on the turn you're most likely ahead with an 8clubs river) Given the betting lines I think its a lot more likely he puts you on a missed flush draw. I'd guess small blind has A9.

Last edited:
Claude Chiasson

Claude Chiasson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that you've better raise to 700 not 375.

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm. The question is what you was about to reach with that min-raise from MP1 with QJ? Obviously nothing good, when blind is calling much wider range of hands, cause it's great pot odds you give and we are standing there with not so strong hand without idea, where we are. But at least we know it shouldn't be very strong hand against us, cause AK & JJ+ would probably 3bet preflop. Then we see the flop, where we have a top pair, 3rd kicker and possible flush draw for our opponent. Hardly can imagine a str8 draw tho, cause it should be some weird hand like 8T. Well it could be TQ too, but less likely as we are blocking Q in our hand. Anyways against draw hands we need to defend our top pair and i like your half pot bet on a flop. and he just calls, so it gives us idea, that he probably has a draw hand. Maybe even some hand with a J, but less likely. AJ, KJ, 99 or 22 would re-raise there, cause he would think you might try to semibluff with a draw hand. Also it's possible that he is just floating, trying to overplay you later using his position.
Now it comes totally blank card on a turn and your suddenly shows a weakness by betting just 400 at 1425 pot. Which is less than 1/3 of pot and of course your opponent uses this opportunity and takes the initiative away from you with a re-raise to 1050. You call. Now the pot is 3525 and you are both totally committed to the pot actually. As it's more chips in pot than you had at the beginning of that hand and slightly less, than your opponent had. So considering already this, you must call there with a top pair. But another reason that should tell you to call is that there is no diamond on river. It's 8, and which hands could have helped this 8, who would be improved better than yours? I can imagine only TQ here and you are blocking one queen. T7? oh i please you, who would play T7 that way? So basically we have to fear only lower jack who made a second pair something like J8s or J3s (which is already too loosygoosy for me), but in most cases it's a bluff from unfinished flush draw.
I can't see fold there.

Last edited:
D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in this situation you fold you dont have strong kicker,and there is over raise....

U

UrsinusMaximus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems consistent with a set or KJ to me.
Obviously, it would be useful to know about villains preflop 3bet tendencies to indicate whether he might have been trapping with an overpair, but most normal players would have raised preflop with those hands ruling that out.

mcgregor_415

mcgregor_415

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold preflop from such earlier position or just limp. You are 20 BB. If you limp. then you must follow your may raise 2/3 pot bet. After the call, you may do the same on the turn, but after the reraise you must reconsider. Yes, this is freeroll, it depends on your observation on the player.

M

Mike D_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In order to make a call, I'll put myself on a question "Does he have pocket 3's?"

imnoobpoker

imnoobpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So conclusion, it was a good fold. But I have to raise more chips next time in order to scare my opponent off.

I

Ian McCudden

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this situation I would of probably got it all in on the re-raise to 1050 as your 400 bet was way too small his stack size will be crippled if he calls and is way behind and if he is ahead it is a freeroll so you have lost nothing

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are probable facing a bluff from the Small but you never know...
I would be folding but I 'm a very conservative player.

C

C3H6S

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
check raise ?? mmmm i knw this a freroll but is a turney maybe its a loose!!! slowplay everything?

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker