Should I re-raise after the flop or just call

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - 1,500/3,000 (300 ante) - 2 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

dzob_killer (SB): 173,112 (58 bb)
$ylt@n12 (BB): 138,888 (46 bb)

Pre-Flop: (5,100) Hero (dzob_killer) is SB with K 7
dzob_killer (SB) calls 1,500, $ylt@n12 (BB) checks

Flop: (6,600) 8 7 K (2 players)
$ylt@n12 (BB) checks, dzob_killer (SB) bets 3,300, $ylt@n12 (BB) raises to 13,728, dzob_killer (SB) raises to 47,784, $ylt@n12 (BB) raises to 135,588 (all-in), dzob_killer (SB) calls 87,804

Turn: (277,776) 6 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (277,776) 3 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: 277,776

Showdown:
$ylt@n12 (BB) shows K 8 (two pair, Kings and Eights)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 64%, Flop: 90%, Turn: 95%, River: 100%)

dzob_killer (SB) shows K 7 (two pair, Kings and Sevens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 36%, Flop: 10%, Turn: 5%, River: 0%)

$ylt@n12 (BB) wins 277,776

frost234

frost234

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You did everything right. When the flop is dealt two pair, you need to aggressively attack. It is not always true luck ...:(

Manjerica1

Manjerica1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As you should have think, this is a wet board, and your hand needs protection.
He could re-raise you with flushdraws and possible hands that make straights.

Just a unlucky cooler :D

M

mengarda

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't trust my guess because I'm an amateur. But I would give it all in.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, its fine to stack this off on the flop. Most people would raise 77, 88 and KK preflop, so when he knock his option, I only think, you lose to K8. I would however not limp into the pot. In heads up poker SB has position postflop, so I never use a limping strategy, unless stacks are very short. You can raise a wide range of hands heads up and force him to either give up his equity or invest more money, when he is out of position.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cant help but wonder - would you be posting this hand if you had won the pot?

I think lots of players doubt themselves or think maybe somehow they could have avoided this situation when in reality this is just a gross cooler. When our opponent raises us on the flop he could be doing so with a single pair K, a flush draw, straight draws
S, etc. - so the 3bet on the flop I like as well since both you are super deep. He is going to fold weaker pairs and some weaker draws, everything else he is going with and we are ahead of everything except for sets and a better 2pr which is pretty slim...he just happens to show up with it here. Unavoidable spot bud. Nothing we can do. If you are looking for a way to get away from K7 on that board, then you are pretty much looking to fold eeeeeverything

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's a BB/SB limper special. You flopped bottom two pair with a suited weak King hand, which doesn't coordinate with the suit of the flop. Bottom two pair. This should be a red flag for you. Play through these situations enough and you will see how often you get coolered in exactly this same kind of scenario.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
It's a BB/SB limper special. You flopped bottom two pair with a suited weak King hand, which doesn't coordinate with the suit of the flop. Bottom two pair. This should be a red flag for you. Play through these situations enough and you will see how often you get coolered in exactly this same kind of scenario.

His hand is not bottom two pairs, bottom two pairs would be 87. Impossible to fold K7 here, because it is blind vs blind and villain is supposed to raise a lot of top pairs on the flop. After that hero is just committed.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
His hand is not bottom two pairs, bottom two pairs would be 87. Impossible to fold K7 here, because it is blind vs blind and villain is supposed to raise a lot of top pairs on the flop. After that hero is just committed.
Obviously you can have a lower two pair with non-King hands. Thanks for the correction! [emoji57] I am talking about the bottom two pair that includes the king. So there is a top two pair with K8 or a bottom two pair with K7. The point is that it's a weak hand and it's not opened for the purpose of catching two pairs on an oppositely-coordinated flop.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you raise her, probably no one will fold in this scenario. Suited K8 is always a call from BB. So there is no way you could escape from this awful outcome. Just a bad bad cooler

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would also go all in on the flop. While it is clear, that after his re-raise there will be made hands that have you beat but there are also quite some draws out that you beat. Just unlucky.
Also if you would have called, there are a ton of turn cards killing your action or making you second guess your hand!

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would also go all in on the flop. While it is clear, that after his re-raise there will be made hands that have you beat but there are also quite some draws out that you beat. Just unlucky.
Also if you would have called, there are a ton of turn cards killing your action or making you second guess your hand!

For me we are just so deep stacked that we dont need to be 3b jamming in this spot. The properly sized 3b does everything a jam would do for us when it comes to getting folds - make no mistake we are going with our hand if/when he ships it so we could end up all in anyway, but no sense in just piling in soooooo many BBs in what is still a relatively small pot via our stack sizes. Sure there are alot of turns that will be action killers, but at least then maybe we dont go broke and find a way to minimize our losses vs just stacking off to a cooler. We dont know it in this instance but action killing cards would slow our opponent down too which again should save us some chips. We can never assume our opponent will just 3 barrel it off - but if they do, we need a gameplan for those later streets. My advice is dont ever make a bet without knowing what you may be doing next - that line of thinking is invaluable.

For me on that flop when I 3bet, I am looking to continue value betting on practically all turns that dont kill the action, and when he does jam I am snap calling. Knowing those lines before I ever put in the 3bet makes navigating later streets that much easier.

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me we are just so deep stacked that we dont need to be 3b jamming in this spot. The properly sized 3b does everything a jam would do for us when it comes to getting folds - make no mistake we are going with our hand if/when he ships it so we could end up all in anyway, but no sense in just piling in soooooo many BBs in what is still a relatively small pot via our stack sizes. Sure there are alot of turns that will be action killers, but at least then maybe we dont go broke and find a way to minimize our losses vs just stacking off to a cooler. We dont know it in this instance but action killing cards would slow our opponent down too which again should save us some chips. We can never assume our opponent will just 3 barrel it off - but if they do, we need a gameplan for those later streets. My advice is dont ever make a bet without knowing what you may be doing next - that line of thinking is invaluable.

For me on that flop when I 3bet, I am looking to continue value betting on practically all turns that dont kill the action, and when he does jam I am snap calling. Knowing those lines before I ever put in the 3bet makes navigating later streets that much easier.

Hey, sorry for not being precise. I agree with all you said. Also with first 3b. I meant to say going allein if he goes with it. I didn’t mean to say shove over his first raise.

And also agree that you should not take an action if you are afterwards puzzled by any possible action putting it back on you!!!

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, sorry for not being precise. I agree with all you said. Also with first 3b. I meant to say going allein if he goes with it. I didn’t mean to say shove over his first raise.

And also agree that you should not take an action if you are afterwards puzzled by any possible action putting it back on you!!!

No need for apologies, everything is all good! Just a little communication error and it's good to air it out in the form of a civil discussion. It benefits the post as a whole so thank you and well for the time and the viewpoint

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a good game. But after your 3 bet on the flop and get the push your range is very weak. I think you must bet-call in here or 3bet-fold. But in freeroll i think i will always play like you ;P