$Freeroll NLHE MTT Turbo Rebuy: Thoughts on this hand?

N

Nico9

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a hand I played in a live freeroll a few days ago. Late registration, rebuy, and add-on period was just over. The average stack was 3.200 chips before the add-ons, but most players bought it (10.000 chips - USD 38), and I didn't, so I went from being chipleader (~7.500) to one of the short stacks.

Blinds are 150/300, ante (BTN) is 300

Hero is dealt :ah4::jh4:

fold
UTG +1 (~13.000) raises 900
fold
Hero (~7.500) calls 900
fold, fold, fold, fold
BB (~14.000) calls 600

Flop is: :as4::qs4::js4:

BB checks
UTG +1 checks
Hero checks

Turn is: :5d4:

BB bets 1.000
UTG +1 calls 1.000
Hero calls 1.000

River is: :2h4:

BB bets 6.000
UTG +1 folds
Hero ? (all in to call)

I don't know if I should've played this hand more aggresive preflop, flop or turn, but I'm sure I would have had to fold if reraised on any street. Thoughts?

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a hand I played in a live freeroll a few days ago. Late registration, rebuy, and add-on period was just over. The average stack was 3.200 chips before the add-ons, but most players bought it (10.000 chips - USD 38), and I didn't, so I went from being chipleader (~7.500) to one of the short stacks.

Blinds are 150/300, ante (BTN) is 300

Hero is dealt :ah4::jh4:

fold
UTG +1 (~13.000) raises 900
fold
Hero (~7.500) calls 900
fold, fold, fold, fold
BB (~14.000) calls 600

Flop is: :as4::qs4::js4:

BB checks
UTG +1 checks
Hero checks

Turn is: :5d4:

BB bets 1.000
UTG +1 calls 1.000
Hero calls 1.000

River is: :2h4:

BB bets 6.000
UTG +1 folds
Hero ? (all in to call)

I don't know if I should've played this hand more aggresive preflop, flop or turn, but I'm sure I would have had to fold if reraised on any street. Thoughts?

I would have played it the same. and folded river. when they blast the river like that it's either nuts or nothing and it's not worth your tournament life to find out... players don't bluff as much as you think. Only other play you could have made is raising turn after the 1k and jamming which would have been a good play as well. you still have equity against a flopped flush and you are beating single spade redraws.

Did you end up calling or folding?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
preflop: you can flat or 3bet this hand. it's very close. I'll let my recent history decide. If I've been very active I'll flat. if it's the first hand i've played in a while I'll 3bet.

flop: we flop 2 pair. this is incredibly good and we should be looking to get it in if we can. at only 25bb effective villains do NOT have to have a flush to stack off. we need to deny equity to flush draws while simultaneously gaining value from flush draws and other Ax.

I would bet in the neighborhood of 1,500 -2,000.

we CANNOT let a spade come off for free and let the random :9s4::8d4: in the BB win this pot!!! also, if a spade comes it kills our action completely because any hand that doesn't beat us will simply fold. BET! please for the love of god....BET! :)

Turn: ok....so....we didn't bey the flop; darn but.....THat's cool cuz it's a safe turn card! we are happy! we still have the best hand most of the time! BB leads 1,000 into 2,850. seems like a stab. a spade trying to name it's price, or a 1 pair hand trying to deny equity to spades. once the action comes to us on the turn the pot has 4,850 and we have 6,600 back. Guess what that is? just a little more than a pot sized jam!!! (you add your call to the size of the pot when calculating a pot size for a jam). JUST TAKE IT DOWN! jam it in. if they flopped a flush oh well...that's a cooler and you're not even drawing dead. if they have a spade you're giving them a bad price. most importantly....let's consider what happens to our life when we do anythin else besides jam

our options with 2 pair on this safe turn card:
fold: gross. lose my number if you fold here. lol. jk. but really....don't fold

call: ok so the pot has 4,850 and we have 6,600 back and we call making the pot 5,850 going into river and we will have 5,600 back. so we will have less than pot on river. so we will essentially have the best bluff catcher on river and if a spade doesn't come we will be forced to put it all in anyways. if we are going to have to stack off vs a flopped flush either way....may as well deny equity NOW vs the flush draws and also just gain the tourney life equity of taking down this sizeable pot now.

raise some other size besides all in: I guess you could if you're committed to just never folding no matter what comes on river. but that seems silly. sometimes in tourneys a single spot is meant to define the rest of the tourney for us. Do we really want to keep something like 2,000 back so we can fold to shoves and have 7bb back? nah. not me.

in conclusion: yes. be more aggressive on flop. be more aggressive on turn. river? call. the spades brick. if he flopped a flush good for him. I have 2 pair. show me your flush.

Last edited:
Flight777sem

Flight777sem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely agree with them about you should play more aggressively preflop-flop-turn. On the other hand after playing it like that it is not easy call on that river I’d fold it if we are talking about river action. If you 3 bet preflop mostly you’ll be heads up and it’ll be easier to make an inference about your opponents then you must play that dangerous flop definitly agro a lot of bad cards in the deck and you probably have the best hand

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would 3-bet pre and call a jam.

On the flop I'm trying to get it in as quick as possible and fade the spade.

As played just call the river although I would have been more aggressive with this hand preflop and definitely on that wet flop.

C

cgcook38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like missjackie's breakdown here. I would definitely be more aggressive with this hand post flop. I think you're getting low enough in chips that I would probably be hoping to just take down the pot with a flop bet. A call by any of the players most likely means I'm up against a drawing hand, but I'm more than happy to go broke against a made flush during the hand.

If I check this flop, I'm wondering what exactly I was hoping for when I called preflop.

odo333

odo333

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opiniom If you call after turn you have to big bet after river or all-in.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands