$Freeroll NLHE MTT Turbo: Pushing AA very near bubble

G

gochillgo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The tournament was nearing the bubble probably 50 players to the money estimate when I got a shiny "AA". Given the big stack has initially raised, should I have still pushed this "AA" ?

888Poker, Hold'em No Limit - 800/1,600 (160 ante) - 9 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

phzeppelin (UTG): 24,217 (15 bb)
excusemoi (UTG+1): 48,696 (30 bb)
Tzipi (MP): 18,744 (12 bb)
drfisio31 (MP+1): 21,144 (13 bb)
BaronMakc (LP): 4,021 (3 bb)
Deposit_Pro (CO): 12,684 (8 bb)
Minispace (BU): 11,447 (7 bb)
Galusik34 (SB): 2,540 (2 bb)
gazoo19611 (BB): 10,965 (7 bb)

Pre-Flop: (3,840) Hero (Deposit_Pro) is CO with A A
3 players fold, drfisio31 (MP+1) raises to 3,200, 1 fold, Deposit_Pro (CO) 3-bets to 12,524 (all-in), 3 players fold, drfisio31 (MP+1) calls 9,324

Flop: (28,888) 8 4 5 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (28,888) T (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (28,888) K (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: 28,888

Showdown:
Deposit_Pro (CO) shows A A (a pair of Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 85%, Flop: 98%, Turn: 89%, River: 0%)

drfisio31 (MP+1) shows T K (two pair, Kings and Tens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 15%, Flop: 2%, Turn: 11%, River: 100%)

drfisio31 (MP+1) wins 28,888

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm snap shoving this hand every time. You win this hand the large majority of the time, and you have a healthier stack in this tournament. You shouldn't let this one outcome cloud the fact that you put your chips in good. That's all you can ask, that you make correct decisions.

The bottom line is, you WANT people to do this, because in the long run, they are giving you their money. Okay, so now that hand is done, the more important thing is, how did you handle the 5 big blind stack? Were you able to run it back up? Or did you bust shortly after?

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You don't have to fold these hands never. The steak was quite small. The opponent made a cautious raise and in some cases this action means that they are ready to fold if there is a raise. The problem was that the opponent's stack allowed him to stay in the tournament. So he took advantage of his luck.

A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Standard play. Don't overthink it because of the result.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is an easy jam. Not only do you have the best starting hand but you also only have 8 BBs. I get pretty tight around the bubble but this would have to be a satellite for me to consider folding. Never fold AA pre flop except for those rare satellite spots. This is a great spot to double up and get back into contention. Just sucks that villain got runner runner but its an easy jam.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't even watch this hand because I do not need to to give correct advice here. It is very simple...

If you are not willing to get it all in preflop and risk going broke with AA - the nuts (preflop) - then you are making the biggest mistake possible preflop and if that's the case poker may not be for you.

There are virtually all kinds of scenarios where we can sew up small mistakes and play better around the bubble, etc. - folding AA is simply not one of them...

25bb or less facing raise - shove over the top

30ish bb facing raise - 3bet with intent to call off/jam flops.

40bb+ facing raise - 3bet and play accordingly.

On no planet do we fold AA!! If you went broke with AA near or on the bubble you did nothing wrong - run it through any solver, look at any chart you want, hell- email your favorite pro player and ask them - the end solution will be the same.

Sorry if I come across a little abrasive but in reality this is the most basic of basic decisions...the game is full of never ending tough spots and this simply is not one of them....EVER.

I hope you find some good in this.

R

royalflush122096

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would obviously go all in if I were you! You did the right thing though! Sucks that your aces got cracked like that!

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
freeroll AA near the bubble. Im not even thinking about this its an AUTO SHOVE

G

gochillgo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm snap shoving this hand every time. You win this hand the large majority of the time, and you have a healthier stack in this tournament. You shouldn't let this one outcome cloud the fact that you put your chips in good. That's all you can ask, that you make correct decisions.

The bottom line is, you WANT people to do this, because in the long run, they are giving you their money. Okay, so now that hand is done, the more important thing is, how did you handle the 5 big blind stack? Were you able to run it back up? Or did you bust shortly after?

Thanks for "You put your chips in good" comment, I'll remember next time.
Unfortunately for the 5BB, it did not make it :(.

Have a nice day and keep safe.

G

gochillgo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is an easy jam. Not only do you have the best starting hand but you also only have 8 BBs. I get pretty tight around the bubble but this would have to be a satellite for me to consider folding. Never fold AA pre flop except for those rare satellite spots. This is a great spot to double up and get back into contention. Just sucks that villain got runner runner but its an easy jam.

Oh ok, different approach if it was a satellite...
Why is it that when I got KK or AA and run against the big stack, I always get runnered?! Seems like a trend haha, guess I just have to put that off my mind.

Thanks and keep safe...

G

gochillgo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't even watch this hand because I do not need to to give correct advice here. It is very simple...

If you are not willing to get it all in preflop and risk going broke with AA - the nuts (preflop) - then you are making the biggest mistake possible preflop and if that's the case poker may not be for you.

There are virtually all kinds of scenarios where we can sew up small mistakes and play better around the bubble, etc. - folding AA is simply not one of them...

On no planet do we fold AA!! If you went broke with AA near or on the bubble you did nothing wrong - run it through any solver, look at any chart you want, hell- email your favorite pro player and ask them - the end solution will be the same.

Sorry if I come across a little abrasive but in reality this is the most basic of basic decisions...the game is full of never ending tough spots and this simply is not one of them....EVER.

I thought you were gonna say :
If you are not willing to get it all in preflop and risk going broke with AA - the nuts (preflop) - then you are making the biggest mistake of your life. Haha. I think "biggest mistake of your poker life" would be proper too :)

25, 30, 40BB scenarios a new idea to me, thanks.

I don't find your statements abrasive at all since I can totally agree with all of them. I liked them!

Thanks and have a nice safe day,

A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh ok, different approach if it was a satellite...
Why is it that when I got KK or AA and run against the big stack, I always get runnered?! Seems like a trend haha, guess I just have to put that off my mind.

Thanks and keep safe...

It's called the confirmation bias. I highly recommend reading up on it and the recency bias, as they are two mindset related "traps" that can cause people to play less than optimally.

G

gochillgo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's called the confirmation bias. I highly recommend reading up on it and the recency bias, as they are two mindset related "traps" that can cause people to play less than optimally.

Aahh, selective mind tricks. Thanks.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never fold AA pre flop except for those rare satellite spots. This is a great spot to double up and get back into contention. Just sucks that villain got runner runner but its an easy jam.

If you're on the bubble of a satellite, then considering folding is not unreasonable. For example, there's 20 satellite seats for a bigger tournament all with the same value, and you are, say, 15th in chips, and there's 21-22 people left and some of those short stacks will be all-in next hand, then the correct play is to fold.

I like this response, because it takes into consideration different stack sizes. If you're VERY short, of course put all your chips in. But, if you are deeper, while you want to build a big pot, you're not going to get all the chips put in right away. You want to lure your opponent in, and like Jon said, play accordingly.

There's plenty of great responses in here that should help you, not just with the strategy part of the game, but with the mindset part of the game. It's only natural that we usually remember the negative that happens to us, but how about the time(s) where you busted somebody on the bubble who had Aces themselves?

G

gochillgo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're on the bubble of a satellite, then considering folding is not unreasonable. For example, there's 20 satellite seats for a bigger tournament all with the same value, and you are, say, 15th in chips, and there's 21-22 people left and some of those short stacks will be all-in next hand, then the correct play is to fold.
I think I get the logic. Ty.

It's only natural that we usually remember the negative that happens to us, but how about the time(s) where you busted somebody on the bubble who had Aces themselves?
Yeah, negative ones you still remember before going to sleep. But when you bust someones Aces, well, I usually laugh so loud first, then say to myself, sorry guy, this is poker, it happens! LOL :D

P

Powell

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you say for this freeroll tournament so where everything happening.Lot of fish and crazy players because they says:Just freeroll.
Good Luck next time!