$Freeroll NLHE MTT Turbo: is this just bad strategy on my part?

C

CashTaker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing in a turbo NL Hold'em Freeroll today. The tournament was about 30 minutes in, so we were at level 5 or so. Top 70 place and I was at 130 or so at the time.

I had 10 bb remaining and had A8s in mid position. Everyone folds to me and I raise to 3 bb. Action folds to small blind who raises me all in and has me covered. I call and see my opponent has AQs. The AQs holds and I bust out.

What is the optimal strategy with a middling hand like A8s in this tournament situation? Is raising preflop ok, but definitely fold to a 3bet because the pot odds aren't good enough to beat a better ace or a mid pair? Or do you just fold middling hands preflop and pray to get a premium hand? Or do you call preflop and hope to see a favorable flop?

Thanks for the insights.

K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fold it from early - mid & shove from BTN i think

waiting for better hands is a good option too

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Turbo MTTs are a special kind of crazy just because of the short blind periods so you gotta be a lot more aggressive or risk getting knocked out by blinds. I'd say that because of this it's better to shove a hand like A8 preflop and get the rest to fold if you have established yourself as a tight player. Yeah it's not a stellar hand but turbo plays a lot more on luck then other mtts so I can usually live with busting out with any ace. In any other tourney though I'm folding that unless I get it with an unopened pot in late position.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Open jam A8s in MP with 10 BBs.

B

BipolarDonky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
SHOVE

Unless your perceived image is that of a complete LAGtard, this is an auto-shove pre w/ 10BB. Or, as stated above, wait for better hands:p.