$Freeroll NLHE MTT Turbo: Hand Review

B

brandonkremb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 76/12/41

Dealt :kh4::qh4: in the cutoff, first hand of the tournament. UTG flat calls and it folds around to me and I open shoved. Was this a profitable shove considering the players to my left were all loose (all time statistics)? It was a freeroll and was looking for constructive feedback on whether I should play tighter or not. UTG who called had :kc4::jd4: and caught his Jack on theriver which was very unfortunate.

hachile1

hachile1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 76/12/41

Dealt :kh4::qh4: in the cutoff, first hand of the tournament. UTG flat calls and it folds around to me and I open shoved. Was this a profitable shove considering the players to my left were all loose (all time statistics)? It was a freeroll and was looking for constructive feedback on whether I should play tighter or not. UTG who called had :kc4::jd4: and caught his Jack on theriver which was very unfortunate.

everything depends on the player in question against whom you played, if he is aggressive and he bluff a lot so you're right to follow him by having KQ and more color. on my part even with a good player I tend to follow everything with KQ unless I'm in the last period of the tournament and I'm against a player with chips much higher than mine

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand is definitely playable, but I'm concerned about open shoving with that many BB. Probably best to avoid open shoving first hand in a tourney unless it is AA, KK, or AK. I've often called jams with these hands early on and doubled up nicely. J vs. Q is nearly 50-50 on drawing. It is a coin toss as to who will win and double up. Your hand is definitely better than his, but it is better to risk less of your stack on a drawing hand. You really need to see the flop with this hand before shoving. If you see a straight or flush draw, or a top pair, it is safer. As it stands this hand is bluff or a possible bluff catcher. With KQs I would open maybe 3 bb or 4 since there is one limper, and see if I can see the flop for that price. I might re-raise 1 time if the villain raises or call his raise. FOLD if he jams, unless you have him down as a frequent bluffer, then use the hand to bluff-catch. If you do use it for catching the bluff, be aware you are back to the 50-50 odds, unless you saw the flop and it works for your hand. Then your odds are better. This hand makes a nice drawing hand, but a made pair often kills it. The villain might also have had a TT which would kill this hand. Most often all-ins on the first hand are 2 broadways or a made pair. Another way to look at this situation is how much equity you have vs the UTG. With KQo, you have 34.5% equity against a typical UTG range, while he has 65.5%. That means on a coin flip between your hand and his range he wins 2/3 of the time - not good. You don't want to go all-in at those odds. Even if we allow that the UTG is playing looser closer to a LJ range (2.2 x's the number of hands), he still wins 54% of the time. The only hands that give you 50% odds or better on a preflop coin toss against a UTG are AA, AK, KK, QQ, JJ. That is all, his range is stronger than all else.

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on how deep stacked you are, if your a much better player you should have a bigger advantage post-flop. So no need to get it all in for a possible flip, you also fold out alot of hands you have dominated. Looks like you got it in against the bottom of his range and had him dominated but i think in the long run you want to just raise to isolate and let him make mistakes post flop.

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why shove? I see a lot of first hands in a tournament go 3 or even more all ins. Why not raise 4BB and go from there? A coordinated flop that connects to an opponents range and completely misses yours, can make a beautiful starting hand not look so good any more. First hand of a tournament is probably best place to get knocked out from but a double up sets up bad decision making for later in a tournament. Confidence is a great thing but over confidence in the luck of the turn can come with a heavy price.
But thats just the thoughts of a broke beginner.

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm down with the shove if your freeroll strategy is to build a big stack early or bust out and reg the next one. I do this quite a bit myself and it seems to work ok. Mathwise I doubt it's a "profitable" shove, as when you do get called you aren't beating much and just scooping the blinds and limp doesn't really make up for any of what you lose chipwise vs a calling range.

Shoves are more "profitable" to the point of being unexploitable when the blinds/antes/limps/open raises get bigger and scooping the blinds offsets the equity lost when they call you.

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Open shoving makes no sense in my opinion. Their stats indicate a high VPIP, which can be enticing, but you are taking a big risk for very little expected reward. For most, KJo is below the absolute bottom of calling. There are just too many hands they could call with that have you beat. If they limp/call with 30% of hands they still are only down 49/51 on odds to win. If we take it down to 25% of hands, putting KJo at the bottom, they are up 52/48. I get that it is a freeroll. So i guess you have to ask, am I playing the freeroll to gamble or to get better, and possibly win? The answer informs your play better. Gamble: worth it. Getting better: bad play.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls tend to play differently with lots of shoving and 3 or 4 all ins every hand. I probably wouldn't shove with that hand I would have went 3-4 bb then see what develops. It depends on stacks too with some freerolls only starting with 5-10 bb so maybe it's correct there but your always flipping at best even undercards still have decent equity against you

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands