$Freeroll NLHE MTT Turbo: Flush draw fold or call?

C

Chewfulitsch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys,

I am sometimes faced with this type of hand near the money bubble and don't know what course of action is best. Here is the hand. I'll put the outcome in a spoiler tag at the end. Thanks for your analysis.

SB/BB 500/1000 Ante 100

BB Hero (14591 in chips)
UTG (25682 in chips)
UTG + 1 (23530 in chips)
UTG +2 (4060 in chips)
LJ (31580 in chips)
HJ (62501 in chips)
Cutoff (23440 in chips)
Button (11443 in chips)
SB (8538 in chips)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero :7s4::8s4:
UTG: folds
UTG +1 : folds
UTG +2 : folds
LJ : calls 1000
HJ : folds
Cutoff : folds
Button : folds
SB: calls 500
Hero : checks

Pot is 4,900
*** FLOP *** :as4: :3s4: :6s4:
SB : checks
Hero: bets 1000
LJ : calls 1000
SB : raises 6438 to 7438 and is all-in

Hero: folds
LJ : calls 6438

Pot is 19,776
*** TURN *** :as4: :3s4: :6s4: :10h4:
*** RIVER *** :as4: :3s4: :6s4: :10h4: :4d4:
*** SHOW DOWN ***
SB: shows [6d Ks] (a pair of Sixes)
LJ : shows [Ad Ah] (three of a kind, Aces)
LJ collected 19776 from pot
SB finished the tournament in 299th place

Last edited:
K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
betting 1k here have same consequences as pot betting/even an overbet shove, because better flushes/draw will call/raise to try to GII

if you wanted to reach ITM just check & fold (there are still K-9 of spades out there)

for me, this is a good chance to double up, im shoving flop & hoping villain dont have better flush (flush flop is kinda reasonable too to makes it look like a bluff/semi)

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just curious, what is your action if the OR had bet and not limped!!!

this hand im calling the allin all day everyday

FWIW you should be folding with 14bb here to a bet

C

cchmpoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Go for Final Table

You are in a bad position w/ 14bb in the bubble, and don't have much room for stealing bb, or 3bet-fold. Any future situation of you 3betting, you'd probably shove (lefting to low behind if you don't).

The pot (turn street) was with 12,300. A good chance for you to double, since you already have the flush.
The villan was with 7bb, he'd shove anything. Hardly a better hand than yours.

Probably you wanted to get ITM, so you folded for protection, but I guess it's over protection scneario. Doubling would give you real chance to get back to the game, and reach Final Table.

C

Chewfulitsch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just curious, what is your action if the OR had bet and not limped!!!

this hand im calling the allin all day everyday

FWIW you should be folding with 14bb here to a bet

Probably fold to an opening raise/3 bet. Took a chance since everyone limped in. In hindsight should have shoved on the flop or bet 30% of the pot, it was unlikely that the HJ would fold his Aces. Was scared of another spade on the turn and river, has happened to me before, but I won that time...
If I find myself with a chance this good to double up I will try and play less scared.

C

Chewfulitsch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are in a bad position w/ 14bb in the bubble, and don't have much room for stealing bb, or 3bet-fold. Any future situation of you 3betting, you'd probably shove (lefting to low behind if you don't).

The pot (turn street) was with 12,300. A good chance for you to double, since you already have the flush.
The villan was with 7bb, he'd shove anything. Hardly a better hand than yours.

Probably you wanted to get ITM, so you folded for protection, but I guess it's over protection scneario. Doubling would give you real chance to get back to the game, and reach Final Table.

Thanks, that was my initial reaction after I played the hand. Just didn't have enough time to think properly. I thought my low cards were bad in case another spade comes on the turn or river. You are right, it was a good opportunity to double up and grab a chance to make it to the later stages. I always choke up when I get here, but at least now it's more frequent so will learn from my mistakes.

apeedgovi

apeedgovi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy call for me at least. If you get unlucky, at least you gave it your best shot. :) GL in future games.

C

cchmpoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, that was my initial reaction after I played the hand. Just didn't have enough time to think properly. I thought my low cards were bad in case another spade comes on the turn or river. You are right, it was a good opportunity to double up and grab a chance to make it to the later stages. I always choke up when I get here, but at least now it's more frequent so will learn from my mistakes.

Glad I helped!
I had the same problem.. getting too low close to the bubble and make my final result depends on a shove that not always goes well (usually by the river - lol). :shot:

Look for ICMs (push/fold) strategies when it comes to the same situation. There's a lot of videos in Youtube.

Next time, let's play better, so we get comfortable in the bubble. Just watching the shoves arround! :)
And I put myself here! Keep improving!

Cheers

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It just depends how badly you want itm, as far as I know icm tries to put this in numbers.
Your position didn't matter, it was push or fold on the flop (being smallstack with 14BB), although you could have made 1000 more with the minraise as you did; I would see the minrise as a 'valuebet'.
Your fear is the 5 spades 9-K, worse in combination with another spade, or another spade turning up on turn or river.
I would not be surprised that icm would tell you to shove, i.e. the risk of being kicked out is very small, as a flush is too strong a hand. But I don't know....

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You checked and flopped a flush - you will flop a flush less than 1 percent of the time.

Sure, your hand is not invulnerable, but there is no way you should be folding to an all-in on the flop especially given you have only 15 big blinds.

Bet bigger on the flop to protect against another spade and then don't fold and shove most turns (if they call and another spade turns then you might have a decision).

Good luck to you! :D

T

tgeezee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
telling a story about a hand .. even with your details .. knowing how the other players have been playing situations would help a lot here .. is the guy shoving super nit tight player .. it looks like he's the short stack if you have him covered 14k vs 8k you just need to try to eliminate this player you have the hand its your job make yourself to the money you don't have to wait for others to do all the plays that will bleed your stack just as bad as taking this shot with a solid 5 card hand ..
I say call alwayse this is a 5 big blind all in unless you have a live read the guy only shoves the nuts ..then maybe consider but you probably reshove to isolate here 99% protect your hand.
so what was 1000chip bet about if your willing to bet you should have bet more than a min bet and that would already cover that guys re raise ..before you make a bet you should know what stack sizes your betting against you kinda opened the door to this play especialy if this player views you as some one who might fold do you do this Min button click move often .. next game watch how many people min click bet stuff then fold or then re raise all in when challenged you will see the best players only do this unadvised bet to give a false read that they are bet blocking to get the villain to make a bad shove its a sick bet with the nuts

if it was AA pre you would be raising / shove even on the bubble so a flush grab your pair squeeze tight and put it in next time the guy probably raises because hes scarde of flush or hes got one good spade and you have blockers in that case that's why flush draws with the off suit pair is so strong no matter what your up against you have reasons to believe your ahead or going to be ahead soon

W

wilywiles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Strictly because it says freeroll I'd be calling. That looks like a two-pair or maybe ace shove protection. Especially in freeroll touraments you see a lot of wild moves like that. I would say 9/10 times hes got a two pair or top ace, or some kinda really strange buff. Really, there's no shame here losing when you flop a flush like that. More times than not you get paid off so making the call is the right move here

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is a call every day of the week.

In the game, I thought you would have been up against the K of spades bluff or a good Top pair ace at best who is protecting/overvaluing their hand.

You should be happy to get it against these two types of hands - don't worry about the bubble. If you get outdrawn or are even behind a higher made flush, so be it - fire up a new freeroll.

You should always go for the win in any tournament - trying to not bubble is a long-term losing strategy.

BTW you do have a backdoor straight flush draw if you are behind on the flop! :)

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The probability that someone flush in the percentage of small and see the flop for free.My opinion all in...

Full Flush Poker Folding in Poker