$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Straight on River. Would you raise anytime?

M

morthiman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A guy bet all the way until hitting it on the river I thought I was facing a 2 pair o the flop but he was just blindly betting, what would you do? :eek:

6-max Lugar #6 is button

S 2 Morthiman (3771 em fichas)
S 3 J.LeandroP (2688 em fichas)

insano809 ante 10
Morthiman ante 10
J.LeandroP ante 10
Michell164 ante 10
Iago99519 ante 10
MenezesMauri ante 10
insano809 psmall blind 20
Morthiman big blind 40

Morthiman [Ad Qs]
J.LeandroP Raise 120 (3bbs)
Michell164 120
Morthiman 80 (calls)
FLOP [Qh 4h Jc]
Morthiman pass
J.LeandroP 360
Michell164 Folds
Morthiman CALLS 360
TURN [Qh 4h Jc] [Ks]
Morthiman pass
J.LeandroP 640
Morthiman CALLS 640
RIVER [Qh 4h Jc Ks] [Ah]
Morthiman pass
J.LeandroP aposta 1558 all-in
Morthiman call 1558
SHOW DOWN
J.LeandroP [5d Td] (Straight, Ten to Ace)
Morthiman [Ad Qs] (2 pairs, Áce and queen)
J.LeandroP gains 5556

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A guy bet all the way until hitting it on the river I thought I was facing a 2 pair o the flop but he was just blindly betting, what would you do? :eek:

6-max Lugar #6 is button

S 2 Morthiman (3771 em fichas)
S 3 J.LeandroP (2688 em fichas)

insano809 ante 10
Morthiman ante 10
J.LeandroP ante 10
Michell164 ante 10
Iago99519 ante 10
MenezesMauri ante 10
insano809 psmall blind 20
Morthiman big blind 40

Morthiman [Ad Qs]
J.LeandroP Raise 120 (3bbs)
Michell164 120
Morthiman 80 (calls)
FLOP [Qh 4h Jc]
Morthiman pass
J.LeandroP 360
Michell164 Folds
Morthiman CALLS 360
TURN [Qh 4h Jc] K♠
Morthiman pass
J.LeandroP 640
Morthiman CALLS 640
RIVER [Qh 4h Jc Ks] A♥
Morthiman pass
J.LeandroP aposta 1558 all-in
Morthiman call 1558
SHOW DOWN
J.LeandroP [5d Td] (Straight, Ten to Ace)
Morthiman [Ad Qs] (2 pairs, Áce and queen)
J.LeandroP gains 5556
why are you calling post flop bets if you think you're up against 2 pair? granted you turn a gutshot, calling doesn't make sense if you think you're that far behind.

as played, 3bet pre, raise flop, call turn, check/fold river.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would lean to 3 bet this pre flop and get it to one opponent instead of two. I don't think calling as bad but raising is better. If you raise in this spot it should be 4.5X or higher as you dont want to give easy implied odds so others will call.

As played I think it is a fine line to take. You can raise the flop but I am not sure I would as villain bets pot and I would feel ahead at this point so I would let them stack off with their smaller Qx. I am not sure what you are saying as you felt that you were up against two pair as two pair would be crushing you and there would be no point in calling the flop.

With just calling the flop I would also call the turn as there is no reason now to raise. The river is a call even though Q10 and J10 are possibilities from villain I just dont think you can be laying down top 2 pair in this spot that beats so much of his range. Blows that he had a nothing burger hand that got there on the end.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Short and sweet version of my perspective::

I am ALWAYS 3betting AQo unless there are specific circumstances in the moment which I don't feel the need to detail - 95% of the time I am 3betting AQo.

If we go to the flop and my opponent leads into me - I am raising the flop - yes I am going to get called by QJ, KK, AA, Etc - but I'm not fearing the monsters under the bed - if villan has 2% of hands that beat me so be it - I am raising the flop for value and because there are a ton of turn cards i do not want to see. Any heart, any Ten, any King, hell - even an A really isn't that great for us...so to protect against all those bad cards - I am surely raising flop.

When called on the turn, if it checks to me, I am probably double barreling turn - villan should not check the straight on the turn or a very good 2 pair hand, they should be looking to get it all in so I would bet again for value - you can check back if you want to pot control i just feel like that's second best.

On the river if our opponent leads into us - I am calling smaller bets (less than half pot) and folding to any larger bets - we essentially have a bluff catcher and are going to be beat a lot on this river. Villans in small stakes games just do not have many river bluffs in their game. I would say 98% of river bets in small stakes games are not bluffs.

Anyhow, I hope this helps

M

morthiman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Short and sweet version of my perspective::

I am ALWAYS 3betting AQo unless there are specific circumstances in the moment which I don't feel the need to detail - 95% of the time I am 3betting AQo.

If we go to the flop and my opponent leads into me - I am raising the flop - yes I am going to get called by QJ, KK, AA, Etc - but I'm not fearing the monsters under the bed - if villan has 2% of hands that beat me so be it - I am raising the flop for value and because there are a ton of turn cards i do not want to see. Any heart, any Ten, any King, hell - even an A really isn't that great for us...so to protect against all those bad cards - I am surely raising flop.

When called on the turn, if it checks to me, I am probably double barreling turn - villan should not check the straight on the turn or a very good 2 pair hand, they should be looking to get it all in so I would bet again for value - you can check back if you want to pot control i just feel like that's second best.

On the river if our opponent leads into us - I am calling smaller bets (less than half pot) and folding to any larger bets - we essentially have a bluff catcher and are going to be beat a lot on this river. Villans in small stakes games just do not have many river bluffs in their game. I would say 98% of river bets in small stakes games are not bluffs.

Anyhow, I hope this helps

This Actually helped a lot! thx

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The villain bluffed all the way and got the best combination. He had caught his luck by the tail. But such players win in cases of 1 in 100. The problem is that you were blinded by an ACE on the river. You got the second pair, but the finished straight was formed on the Board. Most likely, you called quickly without even paying attention.
I would break my brain if I could determine the range of hands of such opponents during the hand:albertein

carmenzu

carmenzu

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would never have played the cards that J.LeandroP [5d Td] played, only the big blind checking, of course on the flop, on the first bet I would have folded.

I don't understand why they play those cards even if they are suited.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
3 betting from the BB with AQ is almost automatic. You will be out of position after the flop. With the flop, I would bet outright. No reason to check with a flush draw and straight draw on the board. Probably 60+% of pot should do. If anyone calls at that point, probably slow down and play check/call or check fold, depending on how your read is.