$Freeroll NLHE MTT: The Situation2 - Flopped Flush - Multi-way

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some of you may recognize this hand last night from the CC Freeroll on the Sports Betting client. I found it interesting and thought it might make for a good discussion on a hand review.

Early stage of mid-tourney

Our stack size is about 35bb
EP stack size is about 45bb
Other stack sizes are between 15-30bb.

I'd characterize the table overall as a little tight. Nobody getting out of line, a lot of min-raising, limping, and folding on the flop.
Most action, already at this stage, is taking place in LP/blinds.
Most EP action has been getting complete pre-flop respect.
No huge bets unless preflop shoves and - that has been reduced with the elimination of those loose players.

Level is 60/120

EP min-raises to 240
One MP caller
We are on the bttn with 4/5 suited, clubs, we call.
BB checks his option.

Flop is Q, A, T all clubs.

Checks all the way around to us on the button - how do we proceed?

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I thought about checking for just an instant - but thought better of it because I had such a weak flush.
I bet out 300, betting small hoping I could entice Aces, Qs and Ts and any flush draws to come along, hoping another player didn't already have me crushed with - ANY other clubs.

Results - Insta-folds all around - I guess I was the only one dealt clubs. Unfortunate.
Checking in that spot to lure others along I think would not have been a good play in that situation with such a weak flush, and two cards still to come.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought about checking for just an instant - but thought better of it because I had such a weak flush.
I bet out 300, betting small hoping I could entice Aces, Qs and Ts and any flush draws to come along, hoping another player didn't already have me crushed with - ANY other clubs.

Results - Insta-folds all around - I guess I was the only one dealt clubs. Unfortunate.
Checking in that spot to lure others along I think would not have been a good play in that situation with such a weak flush, and two cards still to come.

I think betting here is fine multiway because you don't want someone with Kc Jc to get a free Card. any Set/two pair/K high/J high fd would have called anyways.
and with a 4th club coming on the turn you are in an uncomfortable spot.

what would you do if someone check raises you? fold call or shove?

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Respond to a Check Raise

what would you do if someone check raises you? fold call or shove?

Thanks for the input Veritas.
My response to a check raise would have been to call all the way to the river unless another club came on board.
Obviously another club completes any single club hand, and pretty much affirms I am beat.

That's a great semi-bluff spot though for someone holding the nut flush draw or top two, simply because my flush is so weak.

It isn't unreasonable to assume another player decided to check back a made better flush - to allow others to catch up, but I also see semi-bluff flush draws check raise here, as well as top/top, straight draws and sets.

If another player would have check raised all-in -- I might have folded, although one of my glaringly bad leaks is dis-belief in others holdings. :embarasse

Mysterious the 3 other players didn't continue with any Ace, any strong Q, any flush or straight draw. As I said - the table was quite tight.

I had a similar hand to this one last week - but only two handed, sb/bb. I was sb with Q/J diamonds.
bb calls my pre-flop raise.
Flop comes K/8/T - all diamonds.
I check - bb shoves - he has me covered.
I make the easy call and know before the cards are even revealed,,,
He turns A/4 diamonds.

Poker gods didn't deliver the 9 of diamonds. :(
But that is just a crap spot - can't get away their. It's just poker. Something I chuckle at and move on.

Full Flush Poker