$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Should I be check folding river here w/KK on suited & paired board?

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Should I be check folding river here w/KK on suited & paired board?

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 36/13/0.9

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $30/$60 - 9 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker - https://upswingpoker.com/replayer/5q1ymdlt

UTG: $3,744.00 (62 bb)
UTG+1 (Hero): $2,275.00 (38 bb)
MP: $2,247.00 (37 bb)
MP+1: $2,270.00 (38 bb)
LP: $2,613.00 (44 bb)
CO: $4,601.00 (77 bb)
BU: $2,535.00 (42 bb)
SB: $1,831.00 (31 bb)
BB: $2,485.00 (41 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($90) Hero is UTG+1 with K♥ K♦
1 fold, Hero raises to $180, 3 players fold, CO calls $180, 3 players fold

Flop: ($450) T♣ 7♣ Q♣ (2 players)
Hero bets $301, CO calls $301

Turn: ($1,052) 6♥ (2 players)
Hero bets $720, CO calls $720

River: ($2,492) Q♦ (2 players)
Hero bets $1,074 (all-in), CO calls $1,074

Total pot: $4,640 (Rake: $0)

Showdown:
UTG+1 (Hero) mucks K♥ K♦ (two pair, Kings and Queens)
(equity - Pre-Flop: 92%, Flop: 56%, Turn: 75%, River: 0%)

CO mucks K♣ Q♥ (three of a kind, Queens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 8%, Flop: 44%, Turn: 25%, River: 100%)

CO wins $4,640

I keep finding myself in situations like this where I think I am overplaying big pairs and getting myself knocked out of tourneys. I know it's just a freeroll, but should I have slowed down on the the river and just check folded?

G

Grearix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your mistake starts with your bet on the flop. If the board hits three clubs and you have none you don't want to see the turn and the river. You are probably leading now but the chances Villain has at least one club are almost 50%. I would make at least a 1.5 pot bet here...

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You could pot control the whole think here and go check call ,check call all the way down as well and quit the river because you are losing from everything here. The river shove wasn't necessary , you burnt your stack for no reason.

On the other hand the way you played it it was fine for me , big cbet , big turn cbet but the opponent is still in, if he did not have the Q he would quit his flush draw[ I guess he is not a calling station] . but again with your line of play here check river and make the decision if he bets it!

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My view here is to 5 bet or shove you just 3 betted which is an easy call from any hand and the blinds are not to big enough.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your mistake starts with your bet on the flop. If the board hits three clubs and you have none you don't want to see the turn and the river. You are probably leading now but the chances Villain has at least one club are almost 50%. I would make at least a 1.5 pot bet here...

I guess maybe I need to work overbets into my strategy.. I would think that they would just fold with worse and call with better if I did 1.5x pot, but maybe I am wrong in thinking that way. Thanks for the input.

You could pot control the whole think here and go check call ,check call all the way down as well and quit the river because you are losing from everything here. The river shove wasn't necessary , you burnt your stack for no reason.

On the other hand the way you played it it was fine for me , big cbet , big turn cbet but the opponent is still in, if he did not have the Q he would quit his flush draw[ I guess he is not a calling station] . but again with your line of play here check river and make the decision if he bets it!

Yeah maybe after the flop I should have just check/called and check folded river. Thanks for the advice.

My view here is to 5 bet or shove you just 3 betted which is an easy call from any hand and the blinds are not to big enough.
I opened with a preflop raise and got called, not raised. Villain didn't make a 3bet, so there was not an opportunity to 4bet(or 5bet).. I definitely would have 4 bet if given the opportunity.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played it fine. Just dumb luck. He made the mistake of calling your bets and caught a lucky card on the river. He overplayed top pair on the broad. There was a flush and straight draws out there. You can't predict loose bad play and the algorithms always favor a larger stack. Keep playing the way you are.

Folding in Poker