$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Set on a very wet flop

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello mates, as you think I played this hand, it was a CC homegames league game.
I was against 3 players, so I decided to check, but I don't know if it was the best move, I have notes from some of the players, and their range is very wide.:D
I didn't want to enlarge the pot, and then find myself on a bad turn.

gl all :)
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/724CkITK2

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't blame you for keeping the pot small. You still picked up 25BB, so it worked out pretty good.

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am still going to bet your hand on the flop. Why, for information on a wet board ,I want to know who has an interest in this pot. A flush draw will pay to see another card. So will an open end draw. But if I gave a free card and a gut shot beat me for no
bet, I would feel worse.
When I have that strong a hand I want value for my big hands.

L

levidoff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A very dangerous board came out for you. You should have put. And put a lot. And It was necessary to play check-cal on the turn.

A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Overall I think you played this hand pretty well. The check on the flop makes a lot of sense as the early position raiser. Most of the time we have broadway hands or overpairs here that also want to be pot controlling.
Usually with a set you should be trying to get some value on the river. Sure sometimes we are beat, but he has plenty of one and two pair hands that can call a bet on the river. You said you had notes on some of the players though so I don't know if that played into your decision at all.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good pre flop sizing as there is no need to raise huge with these types of hands and too many people limp with these hands and make their cards face up. I prefer betting on the flop because there are many hands our opponents would have that would be calling us and we would be extracting value. 2 clubs will call, any pair from the board will generally call depending on the game, overpairs, and sometime just overcards will call. That is a large calling range where we have a premium hand so betting here to get value from those inferior hands would be the path I would go for. There are also a lot of turn cards, as in this case exactly, that will kill our action against an overpair preventing us from getting value.

As played it sounds weird but I like the call to villains bet. I would not want to get to get into a raising war just yet with this board plus it keeps all of his worse hands in. I would check the turn as played just as you did and with villain checking behind I would discount their flush holdings. Not to say they would not have it but it would seem to me they would not hold on to it. I would probably lean towards betting the river but it sucks if we get jammed on. Safer route is to be in check call mode on the river but I am thinking if villain checked turn then they are one pair heavy and we can get a crying call on the river if we bet.

Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say the hand was played well overall. I do think however, you can definitely afford to be quite a bit more aggressive with sets.

Preflop I would be fine with

Checking on the flop gives your villains the opportunity to hit their draws which they do have quite a lot within their ranges. If you raise you get change to be called by 1 pair type hands and draws, either way they aren’t in the greatest of shape. Also it give you the opportunity to take the pot outright.

Turn, I would then proceed with another bet, if your opponent comes over the top you can be clear they are quite strong but you still have a good amount of equity in the hand. Plus with the stacks the implied odds you would be getting are really really good a lot of the time so if you do boat up then you’re going to get paid by many hands and it’s going to put you into a good position.

Sometimes you will be running into flushes but if their flush isn’t that good then with you leading on the turn then it incentivises your opponents to check back their weaker flush’s so you aren’t having to call a big barrel and if they do barrel a lot of the time it wouldn’t be massive so you could be pretty comfortable making a call with good decent showdown value as your opponents didn’t show much aggression

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello mates, thank you very much for your advice, I will take them into account for the next time I find myself in a similar situation.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
With stacks this deep and in a freeroll I prefer a larger open to 3BB. 2.2BB is for later in the tournament, when stacks get shallow, and people will actually fold even to such a small raise.

Flop
I prefer to keep the initiative with strong hands and that certainly include sets even on a wet board like this. Sure someone might have flopped a straight, but thats very unlikely, and there are a bunch of other hands as well, that will pay a normal C-bet. I dont want to let this get checked through and give everyone a free card to potentially make a straight or flush. If someone raise, your hand is strong enough to call.

Turn
Since you check-called flop, which I dont really like, you obviously need to check now. Donk betting on a card, that completed a draw, would be pretty strange.

River
When he check behind turn, you pretty much have the best hand 100% of the time, and you should bet for value. You dont need to blast it, but something like half pot can certainly get called by worse.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello mates, as you think I played this hand, it was a CC homegames league game.
I was against 3 players, so I decided to check, but I don't know if it was the best move, I have notes from some of the players, and their range is very wide.:D
I didn't want to enlarge the pot, and then find myself on a bad turn.

gl all :)
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/724CkITK2

Hello,

On a connected board like this with a set I am betting more aggressively not just for value but also to protect my hand from numerous straight & flush draws.