$Freeroll NLHE MTT Rebuy: $ticket NLHE MTT Rebuy: $ : flush runs into full houses. bad play or bb?

nicesuit

nicesuit

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
$Freeroll NLHE MTT Rebuy: $ticket NLHE MTT Rebuy: $ : flush runs into full houses. bad play or bb?

school pass tournament on pokerstars. bust out 40 from field of 1170.

had a nice stack going, ranking 14th with 9 places paid.

speculated on 87s.

i limped on the flop for a flush draw and hit; was beaten when he showed with full house.

i think i should have lead out hard on the flop.

Thoughts?

https://www.pokerschoolonline.com/r...id=2&language=en&gameEntity=1&hash=834EF0804D

Last edited:
F

Foldemz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind the call pre as you were getting 4:1 on a decent drawing hand and it wasn't gonna break the bank.

But then you opt to donk-lead 1,000 into a pot of 9,000 giving everyone 10:1 on a call. No one is ever folding anything there. Might as well have just check/called any reasonable bet.

Then the turn comes and you hit your flush so you hammer out a pot sized bet of 16k... You pretty much turned your cards face up at that point.

The river was the worst part of it all. Assuming you pay any attention to your opponents you would've realized that he just called your very strong turn bet after raising your flop bet. He's never going to have a weak hand here. And now the board is paired. So not only should you be concerned with a higher flush but now boats just got there.

But you ignored all of that and just went all in anyways.

Better route:
Should've check/called flop
If you're gonna lead out when you hit your flush on turn then lead out smaller and less obvious (1/2 - 2/3 pot)
River pairs board, check/call

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
easy fold preflop, 87s is a very marginal hand for play with less 50bb if you oop...

Speedbruce

Speedbruce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should start to think in what are you wanting with your bets. None of them makes sense for me. Why bet this small after the flop and why bet this big in the turn?

T

tomatientje

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not easy, maybe play it cheap and fold on a pot raise. Once lost a ticket like this just out of curiosity I played KK on the bubble and lost against JJ.

F

Foldemz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
easy fold preflop, 87s is a very marginal hand for play with less 50bb if you oop...

I disagree here.

While 78s is a marginal hand, it can flop pretty nice against villains open. And yeah, typically this isn't a call, but given the pot odds and stack sizes, I don't hate it.
I punched some ranges into an equity calculator:
SB- 78s
BB - Big blind will come along with any 2 cards
UTG+1 - Fairly tight range consisting of any pair and A10+
MP - 22-99, A10+, any suited ace, KQ/KJ/QJ and combos

We're getting 4:1 on a call here and we have a bit over 20% equity according to the above ranges.

I think this is okay to call.

Hero is sitting 3rd in chips with over 40 bigs.. he can afford to make a 1.5bb call with these odds.

The best argument I can see for folding is the fact that BB's stack is short and can 3bet shove over us. This is unlikely because he'd actually have to wake up with AQs+ because he knows he's getting callers.

So like I said, I don't mind the call, but other than that the hand was butchered.

Last edited:
Full Flush Poker