$Freeroll NLHE MTT Rebuy: Did I have any other realistic choice?

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Guys

This post comes with a Hand replayer link.

It was the second hand of the tourney for me having late registered so I had nothing on anyone. It was a freebuy.

I was third to play and had one limper from UTG and was totally pot committed with any play.

Was folding a realistic option in this situation?

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/324sd857g

Thanks

BB

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You had a little over 3BB, so within 1-2 orbits you are blinded away. Picking up a hand as good as JJ in that situation is literally a gift, but of course it is not going to hold every single time.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By the way I dont like these freebuys. They give you presumably 1.000 chips for free, but to have any real chance to winning a ticket, you need to purchase rebuys, which might then be 5.000 chips and even more important add-ons, which might be 100.000 chips.

So they are just there to get people playing, because it look to be "free", but if you actually want to win a ticket, its not free. If you really want to play them, the only reasonable strategy is to register in the very last minute, purchase a rebuy if needed, fold 1-2 hands, and then purchase the add-on chips. Only then does the real game begin.

And then its still a satellite, which in my opinion is also a waste of time. Sure satellites can make sense, if you want to play the target tournament, but you can not afford it. Like Cris Moneymaker, who could not afford to pay 25.000$ to enter the wsop main event.

But online why not just play the tournaments, you are bankrolled for? If you are bankrolled and skilled enough to play 16$ tournaments, you can surely have a higher hourly winrate by playing more of them rather than spending time on 1$ satellites.

And if on the other hand you are only bankrolled for 1$ tournaments, this does not mean, you can also play 1$ satellites. In reality you are then taking a shot, which can be fine. But then why not just pay those 16$ out of pocket? Or play the 16$ tournament, when you made a deep run in a 1$ tournament and have something extra in the bank.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with that stack and in that type of tournaments there was nothing to think about you had to do that, you had bad luck but on those satellites since if I am not mistaken it was one of the half price on Sunday in PS you must play that way they are only 2 ticket is the prize and also is hyperturbo with 1000 chip to start

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
with that amount of chips it was the most logical thing to do remember that a tournament very fast and with very few chips so looking to double is a good idea but that's the way poker is

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With that stack size and a hand as strong as JJ there really is no doubt what you should have done here. I think people only tend to second guess themselves in these spots when they lose the hand. Sure it went multi way to a flop but you were in great shape vs the hands all the other players had - it just didnt work out.

It was a freeroll/freebuy - you had nothing invested and you made the right move. Nothing else you can do. Poker has alot to do with making correct choices - this is the correct choice.

W

wallyworld127

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NO NO NO . just from experience free rolls have more variance than money buy-ins. for the obvious reason shown here people get there money in, it is a gamble. now one think i would liike to point out is that pretty much everyone acting after your should be calling iwth the exception of the small blind you making yourself that shot is they realyl big bad part., the pockt 4s were priced in with implyed odds from teh other players. NO you should never people folding here. it is what it is. what freerolls really teach you is how once you have generated a stack how to take that to the win. dont think about anything but wining in a free roll, now putting your money in horribly with not pot odds or implied odds to back it up now that is bad. but in order to beat a big feild you are oging to get your money in back onece in a while its what you do with the big chip stack that maters in those.

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice observations Fundiver. I totally agree with you!

BB

By the way I dont like these freebuys. They give you presumably 1.000 chips for free, but to have any real chance to winning a ticket, you need to purchase rebuys, which might then be 5.000 chips and even more important add-ons, which might be 100.000 chips.

So they are just there to get people playing, because it look to be "free", but if you actually want to win a ticket, its not free. If you really want to play them, the only reasonable strategy is to register in the very last minute, purchase a rebuy if needed, fold 1-2 hands, and then purchase the add-on chips. Only then does the real game begin.

And then its still a satellite, which in my opinion is also a waste of time. Sure satellites can make sense, if you want to play the target tournament, but you can not afford it. Like Cris Moneymaker, who could not afford to pay 25.000$ to enter the WSOP main event.

But online why not just play the tournaments, you are bankrolled for? If you are bankrolled and skilled enough to play 16$ tournaments, you can surely have a higher hourly winrate by playing more of them rather than spending time on 1$ satellites.

And if on the other hand you are only bankrolled for 1$ tournaments, this does not mean, you can also play 1$ satellites. In reality you are then taking a shot, which can be fine. But then why not just pay those 16$ out of pocket? Or play the 16$ tournament, when you made a deep run in a 1$ tournament and have something extra in the bank.