$Freeroll NLHE MTT: QQ Folded Pre - Would you have folded??

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Faced against a limper and 1 caller I raised with my QQs, then a 100bb shove AI came from the BB, who I don't have enough hands on. He doesn't often 3B so I was assuming he had a hand like KK or AA, the guy who called the limp now calls AI for his tornamentI folded.
I was priced in, so was I correct to fold. I don't care about the result!!

S

ssbn743

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Faced against a limper and 1 caller I raised with my QQs, then a 100bb shove AI came from the BB, who I don't have enough hands on. He doesn't often 3B so I was assuming he had a hand like KK or AA, the guy who called the limp now calls AI for his tornamentI folded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeVlt2OnyW4

Well...I think math is the answer, as always. But this stupid bullshit, that happens at these stakes, does warrant some special consideration. I suspect this is a fold, as much as you'd probably like to call...

But, the math.... let's see what it says...

Assume a villain range of:
(JJ+,88,AQs+,A5s,72s,AQo+,A5o,72o)
I included some merit badge worthy hands like 72o.

Your QQ has 64% equity against that range.

I'll attach my EV spreadsheet - but, we have an open limp, call, and a raise (you didn't specify your sizing, so I'm going to guess 4BB), the SB folds and a 100BB jam correct? Those are the numbers I'm using - and I'm reasonably confident the result will be unaffected by some of the minor details.

The results are 31BB +EV agsint our assumed range. However, our breakeven point is 50% equity. So if we play with villains range a bit, let's say (JJ+,AQs+,AQo+) our equity goes down to 51%

So, we're positive EV somewhere between 31BB and 1BB.

You have 100BB's yourself I'm assuming, so as suspected, the risk far outweighs the reward (even though it is probably +EV) and I think folding is correct.

Attachments

• F_C_EV.jpg
    F_C_EV.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 25
azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a call for a freeroll, & a call for microstakes imo but a fold in a medium stakes mostly Tag population tournament

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a freeroll or very low stakes normal tournament like 1$ or less I think, the average goofball has enough smaller pairs and random nonsense to justify calling off 100BB with QQ. From 2$ and up I fold without a strong read.

Edit: Saw the results now and not surpriced to see hands like 99 and 44. This is why, I would have called in a freeroll.

vajavava

vajavava

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you make good move..i also folded this hand with 2 players in the pot..

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Effectively, the shove is 57 BBs.

In freefolls, dont be afraid to get it in with big pairs. Giving a shove range of pairs, broadways, and A2s+ for both players, you're still at 54% equity pre vs 23% equity for both.

You might run into KK+, flip with AK for your MTT life sometimes and its unfortunate if you bust out, but you absolutely crush so many other hands pre.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This early in a freeroll, I would probably have played the QQ. You find villains going in with A2o or even random cards. The chance of AA or KK is there, but so is the chance they go in with 74s.

My advice for the first 20 minutes of any freeroll is play only good cards, but play them aggressively (no matter what the villains do).

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thanks for the answers guys.

Yea I agree I should of called with it being a freeroll.

It is great to get peoples opinions on what they would do.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If hypothetically the limper wouldn't be come along: 60bb deep against a simple 3B oop jam, QQ is NEVER a fold imo. Especially given our 6x preflop sizing due to the limpers.

I wouldn't be too worried about the limper tbh. Yes there's a very very occasional trap, but mostly it's a lot of garbage which we have great equity against. small pockets, AX mongs etc.

100% call at any stakes probably.

N

natelearnspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

In any non-free roll tournament, a fold makes sense. Even the tightest players will shove with low pairs at these stakes. This is all in hindsight thought and folding is probably better EV long run.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If hypothetically the limper wouldn't be come along: 60bb deep against a simple 3B oop jam, QQ is NEVER a fold IMO. Especially given our 6x preflop sizing due to the limpers.

I wouldn't be too worried about the limper tbh. Yes there's a very very occasional trap, but mostly it's a lot of garbage which we have great equity against. small pockets, AX mongs etc.

100% call at any stakes probably.

I wasn't worried the limper per se, if it just the limper shoving I would have called in a heartbeat. It was the BB shove that I thought would have had better than 99, I had him down tightish, but he's not as tight as I thought lol

I now have a note what he 3bets with

Folding in Poker