$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Pocket 7s for 10BB?

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hands like this I really struggle with, I think they are high up enough in my calling range given how few BBs are but then I always feel like an idiot when I end up losing to a higher poker pair.

Is 77 high enough in my range for this to be a regular call? I didn't have any information on villain, I late reg'd for the tourney and only played a hand or two before this came up.

888 Poker - 125/250 Ante 30 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP+1: 53.18 BB
MP+2: 14.27 BB
CO: 84.8 BB
Hero (BTN): 6.08 BB
SB: 0.5 BB
BB: 1.54 BB
UTG: 7.27 BB
UTG+1: 1.32 BB
MP: 3.34 BB

9 players post ante of 0.12 BB, SB posts SB 0.38 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.46 BB) Hero has 7 7

UTG raises to 7.15 BB and is all-in, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 5.96 BB and is all-in, fold

Flop: (14.38 BB, 3 players) 9 6 T

Turn: (14.38 BB, 3 players) Q

River: (14.38 BB, 3 players) 5

Hero shows 7 7 (One Pair, Sevens)

Main Pot [2.6 BB]: (Pre 42%, Flop 56%, Turn 14%)
Side Pot#1 [11.78 BB]: (Pre 50%, Flop 68%, Turn 14%)

SB shows 2 6 (One Pair, Sixes)

Main Pot [2.6 BB]: (Pre 16%, Flop 16%, Turn 12%)

UTG shows A Q (One Pair, Queens)

Main Pot [2.6 BB]: (Pre 43%, Flop 28%, Turn 74%)
Side Pot#1 [11.78 BB]: (Pre 50%, Flop 32%, Turn 86%)

UTG wins 2.6 BB
UTG wins 11.78 BB

Thanks again for your thoughts!! :bandit:

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Calling is often bad

Hands like this I really struggle with, I think they are high up enough in my calling range given how few BBs are but then I always feel like an idiot when I end up losing to a higher poker pair.

Is 77 high enough in my range for this to be a regular call? I didn't have any information on villain, I late reg'd for the tourney and only played a hand or two before this came up.

888 Poker - 125/250 Ante 30 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP+1: 53.18 BB
MP+2: 14.27 BB
CO: 84.8 BB
Hero (BTN): 6.08 BB
SB: 0.5 BB
BB: 1.54 BB
UTG: 7.27 BB
UTG+1: 1.32 BB
MP: 3.34 BB

9 players post ante of 0.12 BB, SB posts SB 0.38 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.46 BB) Hero has 7 7

UTG raises to 7.15 BB and is all-in, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 5.96 BB and is all-in, fold

Flop: (14.38 BB, 3 players) 9 6 T

Turn: (14.38 BB, 3 players) Q

River: (14.38 BB, 3 players) 5

Hero shows 7 7 (One Pair, Sevens)

Main Pot [2.6 BB]: (Pre 42%, Flop 56%, Turn 14%)
Side Pot#1 [11.78 BB]: (Pre 50%, Flop 68%, Turn 14%)

SB shows 2 6 (One Pair, Sixes)

Main Pot [2.6 BB]: (Pre 16%, Flop 16%, Turn 12%)

UTG shows A Q (One Pair, Queens)

Main Pot [2.6 BB]: (Pre 43%, Flop 28%, Turn 74%)
Side Pot#1 [11.78 BB]: (Pre 50%, Flop 32%, Turn 86%)

UTG wins 2.6 BB
UTG wins 11.78 BB

Thanks again for your thoughts!! :bandit:

When short we do not want to call other players with less than premium hands. Your equity is not great vs most shoves and you are on the button. You may get a chance to be first in and steal the blinds. Our options are very limited with sub 10bb it is often better to take a stand in the 10-20bb range than to get that short.

Hope this helps
:):)

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When short we do not want to call other players with less than premium hands. Your equity is not great vs most shoves and you are on the button. You may get a chance to be first in and steal the blinds. Our options are very limited with sub 10bb it is often better to take a stand in the 10-20bb range than to get that short.

Hope this helps

Thank's Eetenor, I think I have a tendency to call too weak when I'm a short stack. I know hands like this are easy all ins when there's no action before me but I think I have been calling with them much more than I should.

Thank's for your advice, and I've already made a few folds in situations like this based off of your advice! :)

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think calling here is fine. we are ahead of his 6bb shoving range.
waiting for premiums with 7bb left will just blind you out....
i would call here anytime with 77 on the button

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to be even you need to win 40%. if villain pushes wider than 9% range your call will be positive

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Vilain range

to be even you need to win 40%. if villain pushes wider than 9% range your call will be positive

Thank you for posting

Your point is excellent.
We have to know why the villain is shoving at such a low BB. Has the villain waited for a top 5% hand? Often in lower buy in tournaments that is exactly the case. If however they are shoving much wider than you are correct.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In principle its better to push than call, because it gives us a chance to pick up chips without having to show down the best hand. However with 6 players having less than 10 BB, there is realistically going to be no chances for non-showdown winnings, as at least one player is going to be all in every single hand from now on, until people have either busted or chipped up.

So with this in mind I think, its an ok call. It sucks, that he opened from UTG, because typically than mean a stronger range. But when he only start with 7BB, he is facing the prospect of losing 25% of his stack to the blinds and antes, unless he play one of the next three hands. So he have his back against the wall, and that should mean a much wider range, than if he started with for instance 12 BB.

This is obviously a turbo, and if you are going to play these, dont register this late, so that you only get a few hands of "bingo" for your money. Be there, when the tournament start, or very shortly thereafter.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are we ahead of shoving range?

i think calling here is fine. we are ahead of his 6bb shoving range.
waiting for premiums with 7bb left will just blind you out....
i would call here anytime with 77 on the button

Thanks for posting.

We must always try to know our villains. We should know why this villain is at 6 bb. Are they blinding down waiting for a premium hand to shove? Did they shove between 10-20 bb in an obvious shove spot or fold? IE tight blinds first to open?

Another poster mentioned the villain must be shoving 9% of hands for our equity to be correct. Is this villain doing that?
Are we just assuming our villains are doing that?

We are not waiting for premiums to play with 7bb. Our stack size is not the point the opportunities on the table are. If no better spot will be available then we call with the 77 when the villain is wide enough to warrant a call. If we fold the 77 we should shove when opening with a wide range. On some tables we can steal the blinds twice in an orbit even with just 7 bb.

Villain composition on the table matters.

If we are not using villain tendencies to narrow ranges and understand villain folding mistakes then we might as well call.