$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Playing QJs on a Freeroll, what do you think about this move ?

F

FailX21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Playing QJs on a Freeroll, what do you think about this move ?

Here is a hand from a freeroll on ACR earlier this evening. What do you think about this play ?

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - 125/250 NL - Holdem - 9 players

Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP (MP): 27.72 BB
MP+1 (MP+1): 20.36 BB
MP+2 (MP+2): 21.3 BB
CO (CO): 11.96 BB
Hero (BTN): 34.8 BB
SB (SB): 9.83 BB
BB (BB): 37.37 BB
UTG (UTG): 11.24 BB
UTG+1 (UTG+1): 43.19 BB

9 players post ante of 0.1 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Dealt to Hero:
Q
club.gif
J
club.gif

fold, UTG+1 calls 1 BB, MP calls 1 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 3.25 BB, fold, fold, UTG+1 calls 2.25 BB, MP calls 2.25 BB

Flop (12.16 BB, 3 players):
heart.gif
diamond.gif
club.gif

UTG+1 checks, MP checks, Hero checks

Turn (12.16 BB, 3 players):
J
spade.gif

UTG+1 checks, MP bets 6.08 BB, Hero raises to 31.45 BB and is all-in, fold, MP calls 18.29 BB and is all-in

River (60.89 BB, 2 players):
club.gif

MP wins 60.89 BB

MP shows:
K
diamond.gif
J
diamond.gif

(Two Pair, Jacks and Eights)
(Pre 71%, Flop 83%, Turn 93%)

Hero shows:
Q
club.gif
J
club.gif

(Two Pair, Jacks and Eights)
(Pre 29%, Flop 17%, Turn 7%)

To tell you a bit about what came across my mind while playing this :
-Preflop : QJs is a good hand, I raise hoping to make fold one or more player.
-Postflop : I don't have anything, they both checked so I checked back to see the turn.
-Turn : Now I have top pair (JJ) with a queen kicker. I think about raising x2.5 or x3, but instead I shove, hoping to make him fold. I don't want him to see the river, cause I think I'm ahead at this point and I may not be after, cause my hand is not that strong.

Afterwards, I feel like I should just have called, as they didn't seem like good players, and when this kind of player check the flop and bet on the turn, it often means they got something.

What do you think ?

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet flop and be glad he showed up with that hand otherwise youre only being called by better with that jam. You have TP so what hands you think are coming along if they call that turn jam on such a dry flop. Im calling turn. calling river or betting river if checked too. BUt hell with the river pairing I might check back river. what is he leading on the turn. That flop is so dry.

Ugg I cant stand that guys limp/call pre. WTF!!!

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is the danger of playing QJ you hit top pair and an awful lot of the time you are behind to KJ KQ AJ and AQ or worse still the bunch of two pair or set combinations I would try to use pot control and check call instead of jamming good luck in future

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I were in your place I would punish the limpers, bet 5bb preflop, on the flop I would make a continuation bet.

So maybe the villain folded on the flop, if he took the float on the turn maybe I just call the bet.

1dkp0k3r

1dkp0k3r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Queen high is at the bottom of your range here and has no show down value, you need to c bet the flop. The only hands that you are worried about on the flop are pocket pairs that flopped sets as that is what makes up a large portion of the two limp callers ranges. C bet the flop, if you get called it will be by a set, one pair hand like T8, 98, 87 or a small suited connector like 65, 54, A5, A4. If you get called, you would have turned top pair against a range that you crush, only sets beating you here realistically. Small chance that a caller could have J8, but I doubt that AJ or KJ are calling this flop with no draws for those types of hands

F

FailX21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys, this helps a lot !