acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Pair of JJ at the 3rd level of blinds 25/50, board connected and the villain goes all-in again on the flop for the second time against me. Suggestions?

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - 25/50 - 9 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 2,955 (59 bb)
UTG+1: 9,183 (184 bb)
MP: 3,533 (71 bb)
MP+1: 2,795 (56 bb)
LP (Hero): 2,970 (59 bb)
CO: 6,903 (138 bb)
BU: 3,085 (62 bb)
SB: 2,252 (45 bb)
BB: 2,144 (43 bb)

Pre-Flop: (75) Hero is LP with J J
4 players fold, Hero raises to 100, CO calls 100, BTN calls 100, 1 fold, BB calls 50

Flop: (425) 7 9 8 (4 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 170, CO raises to 6,803 (all-in), 2 players fold, LP (Hero) folds

Total pot: 765
CO wins 765

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raising pre flop was certainly an option there, but maybe you had an unstated reason you didn't. If all your going on is he raised twice in a row, then it's not necessarily a bad fold, since it was a limped pot, so he could have many hands that hit that flop, including the nuts at that moment with 10J. But i
fyrhgnbj
f you felt he was overly loose and aggressive consistently before then, it would probably be worth calling. And let's not forget that it's a freeroll.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First, I believe you need to raise to more than a min raise on this flop, especially with stack sizes what they were and your holding of JJ. You really do not want to play this multi way so a larger raise of 3x or even 4x is better. I am not saying they would not call behind you anyway but at least when they do you get a little more value and get stacks in easier if the board run out is conducive to getting in stacks. Min raising is fine when the blinds get bigger but when it is low like they are with this hand you should be raising larger.

As far as the action is concerned I think you made the correct move. Yes there are times where this guy is just a maniac and is doing this with complete air or a one pair hand but I think that is way less often than people think it is. His actions to me scream two pair here because he is trying to protect his equity with moves like this. Maybe I am giving him too much credit for being a thinking player but if he has a straight and is trying to get max value is never jamming. These bets you will see on coordinated boards where the villain has a strong hand but not the nuts. Given your hand and if villain has two pair you have 40% equity which is not enough to call off your stack. Crappy spot to be put in but I think you made the right move folding.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Raising pre flop was certainly an option there, but maybe you had an unstated reason you didn't. If all your going on is he raised twice in a row, then it's not necessarily a bad fold, since it was a limped pot, so he could have many hands that hit that flop, including the nuts at that moment with 10J. But i
fyrhgnbj
f you felt he was overly loose and aggressive consistently before then, it would probably be worth calling. And let's not forget that it's a freeroll.

As it is a freeroll tournament and still a very connected board, sometimes it seems that it is just a recreational player.

First, I believe you need to raise to more than a min raise on this flop, especially with stack sizes what they were and your holding of JJ. You really do not want to play this multi way so a larger raise of 3x or even 4x is better. I am not saying they would not call behind you anyway but at least when they do you get a little more value and get stacks in easier if the board run out is conducive to getting in stacks. Min raising is fine when the blinds get bigger but when it is low like they are with this hand you should be raising larger.

As far as the action is concerned I think you made the correct move. Yes there are times where this guy is just a maniac and is doing this with complete air or a one pair hand but I think that is way less often than people think it is. His actions to me scream two pair here because he is trying to protect his equity with moves like this. Maybe I am giving him too much credit for being a thinking player but if he has a straight and is trying to get max value is never jamming. These bets you will see on coordinated boards where the villain has a strong hand but not the nuts. Given your hand and if villain has two pair you have 40% equity which is not enough to call off your stack. Crappy spot to be put in but I think you made the right move folding.

I'm making some adjustments. Thank you for your support!

C

candide78

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hi,

I agree with 300HPGod about the size of the preflop, at that stack size i'd make it 3x.

On the flop you should be very wary of c-betting as its multiway and very co-ordinated. The worst thing you want is to be check raised.

When he jams 55bb effective you have to fold an overpair in my opinion.

John,

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As my partner above says well, the open raise would have been done by X3, and when I have notes that there are two fish in the big blinds, I can open stronger, because I know they will pay me.

On the flop, you block some stairs with your JJs, some players who do not know how to play make that move with sets, flopped straight, for fear of the two heart cards on the flop.

But if you say that this villain made that move a second time, then I would have called, maybe he makes that move with projects.

gl

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As many have said, your preflop raise is way to small. You are playing a freeroll with deep stacks, and if anything this is a situation, where you want to size up with your best hands including JJ. You can raise to 4-5BB here and still get someone to call, which will print a ton more value and lead to easier postflop decisions than just mini-raising and getting a cascade of callers.

I also think, your flop C-bet is to small, and as for his jam, folding is certainly not bad, but since its a freeroll, and you had seen him do this before, I might actually have called this off. You are only in really bad shape, if he has exactly JT, and you block that hand down to only half its normal combos. So why not just get it in and gamble against him? If you lose, at least you are done with the thing and can spend your time on something more important than a freeroll.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a freeroll I am NEVER folding the over pair in the spot especially when I hold relative blockers to the nut straight holdings - preflop is way too small. I'd elect to open 125-150 here - cbet flop is too small, I would go 60% pot or maybe even larger and just never folding to the shove.

Are you folding QQ to the shove? I know you are certainly never folding AA or KK here and if you are then you are making a huge mistake at these levels where ppl constantly over value top pair and people constantly shove all their good draws - it is highly likely you have the best hand and folding to the jam here is just a big mistake. That is my opinion.