Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes.

Beaten by quad 3s? :p

Wow, on the first try you guessed how I lost that tournament.

My tight aggressive game is what I was focusing on and I guess it went too far. I used to be more focused on trapping and quietly pushing an opponent into pot commitment. Quick action and big raises as an addition were starting to get me further.

Thinking about the flush made me forget the possibility of quads.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough way to go out. But you're ahead with the full house so often (especially in a freeroll), I don't think you need to be too critical of going out here.

Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats what I say when I keep loosing out in tourneys on bovada just like that. $5 for a shot at the $3k GTD over and over. At the top placed 1-5 for almost three hours only to get killed like that.

Shouldn't be scared?

True.

I just need more money. I should play more poker!

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did you limp in preflop?

What are the effective stacks?

I think you are just posting this probably to feel better about the bad beat - but there is actually some stuff to analyze in here. First off, I don't think you should be limping in. It's going to be far more effective to raise preflop or fold.

Depending on the effective stacks you might size your raises differently as well, so that's something to consider.

Postflop is what it is. I am fine with the line you took as played preflop, but it's important not to gloss over preflop and the other factors in the hand.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Given that it is a freeroll I was thinking there is absolutely no way that you would have bumped the villain off of his cards regardless of what you did after he hit the flop. If you bet higher preflop, he would have stuck to his set even more. Maybe jamming in the turn could have repped a flush but I doubt players in freerolls are capable of folding to such a move.

Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did you limp in preflop?

What are the effective stacks?

I think you are just posting this probably to feel better about the bad beat - but there is actually some stuff to analyze in here. First off, I don't think you should be limping in. It's going to be far more effective to raise preflop or fold.

Depending on the effective stacks you might size your raises differently as well, so that's something to consider.

Postflop is what it is. I am fine with the line you took as played preflop, but it's important not to gloss over preflop and the other factors in the hand.

Effective stacks were even. It was very early in the tourney. I have always thought 77 was a standard bb call in middle position, so I wasn't concerned about a limp. I had to see the trips first.

I don't know what your record is like, but if I raise in middle with a hand like that a lot looking back my stack seems to take a series of small hits crippling my power.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Effective stacks were even. It was very early in the tourney. I have always thought 77 was a standard bb call in middle position, so I wasn't concerned about a limp. I had to see the trips first.

I don't know what your record is like, but if I raise in middle with a hand like that a lot looking back my stack seems to take a series of small hits crippling my power.

What do you mean you don't what my "record" is like? Is that the polite way of saying you have no idea if I'm any good lol?

Likewise I have no idea how much poker study you have done, that's why I point things out like you shouldn't really be limping in preflop.

("Limp" means just calling the big blind first in as opposed to raising.)

It's just not going to be as effective as raising. Generally speaking we shouldn't be playing pocket pairs purely for set value, but especially not mid and higher pairs.

Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you mean you don't what my "record" is like? Is that the polite way of saying you have no idea if I'm any good lol?

Likewise I have no idea how much poker study you have done, that's why I point things out like you shouldn't really be limping in preflop.

("Limp" means just calling the big blind first in as opposed to raising.)

It's just not going to be as effective as raising. Generally speaking we shouldn't be playing pocket pairs purely for set value, but especially not mid and higher pairs.

What I meant was raising with everything in middle position kills my stack and has an effect on my record. If I had played that more aggressive as I normally would, I would have just lost my chips faster that hand. 2bb was a weak bet to feel out the flush post turn. His slight reraise let me take another chance.

The point of playing all hands as if they should have the effect of a raise is good. I really don't think the result had much to do with the weak call. You really have a more passive style that way as77 wont always hold well.

I would consider tight play raising utg+1or2 with pairs 88 and up.

Always good to hear insight.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow, on the first try you guessed how I lost that tournament.

My tight aggressive game is what I was focusing on and I guess it went too far. I used to be more focused on trapping and quietly pushing an opponent into pot commitment. Quick action and big raises as an addition were starting to get me further.

Thinking about the flush made me forget the possibility of quads.
Or Kings full.

Still, you had the 3rd best hand and very, very rarely should you ever consider folding a boat. You ran into a monster cooler, oh well, but you beat a lot of other hands.

Full Flush Poker