$Freeroll NLHE MTT: KK on AK8A8

16clumsyandshy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand takes place at a college poker club that meets once a week, very recreational. I'm one of the few solid players there, usually showing up with the goods. Anyways I just had a funny hand there that I thought I would post. (also my first time posting a hand)

Blinds 10/20
UTG (me): KK, raise to 40.
MP (villain): raises to 80
folds around back to me, just call, thinking shoving 30bb would be terribly obvious to him based on our history, and he would only call with AA, maybe QQ, but even though he knows I wouldn't do it with worse than QQ.

This player is actually a decent player that doesn't spew. We've played a lot together so I don't expect him to be raising with anything less than 99-AA, and AK, maybe AQ.

Flop: AhKh8c

Check, check

Turn: Ad

I lead for 40 here and he just calls.

River: 8d

Check, check.

My hands were kinda tied on the turn, thinking that he'd given up on the hand after the flop. Not sure if I could have gotten any more value from this lower full house, besides the fact that I realize I should be raising more preflop.

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should reraised him in prelop and when he call you shoud bet 6bb on the flop then bet less on the turn and check on the river

16clumsyandshy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should reraised him in prelop and when he call you shoud bet 6bb on the flop then bet less on the turn and check on the river

Turns out he had pocket tens, and I asked what would he do if i did re raise preflop and he said he would probably call a small raise. It would have been interesting to see the action post flop if I did, But I think on AK8 flop he is not going any further with the tens.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm certainly jamming KK pre here with just 30bb facing a 3bet.

If you're saying villain is 3betting 99+ AQ+ here and only stacking off KK+, then you should be 4bet jamming all your Ax hands and 22-JJ as he will fold 44-48/57 combos and you have ~20% equity when called. This also implies you should be flatting KK+ and possibly QQ.

16clumsyandshy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah that's a good point about widening my shoving range against this player, granted I'm correct about his calling range. I mainly flatted to keep him in the hand, the runout just really complicated things for his hand (TT).

I

iFishForFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it's at least a re-raise preflop.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Raise more preflop, sometimes jamming there is best play. I would bet flop too although in this case he probably was folding. Your turn bet was way too small I don't understand the sizing.
With how the hand played out I am value betting river there in position. A good thinking player is never checking an Ace twice and may hero there.

16clumsyandshy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your turn bet was way too small I don't understand the sizing.

You're right. I realize that if he calls this bet he would probably call a bet of 100. I realized that when I'm in the middle of a hand, my mind tells me to bet but not why and how much. Thanks for your feedback.