$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Did I play it any wrong? Would you fold anytime?

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Awful flat pre. Off 20bb facing a 3x raise here, reshove if he's on the looser side however the standard play would be to fold here readless. 77 isn't going to play well postflop and we are not getting correct implied odds to call to flop a set.

As played, I'm playing the hand the same way you are postflop. How your opponent played the hand is irrelevant as you cannot control his actions.

Skatoosh

Skatoosh

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You were very short and a hand like 77 has value if you can get it heads up to the flop.

A lot of this is table and opponent dependent, but in a situation like that a preflop re-raise would have been better. I would have 2bet his raise just to help push off any other limpers and see if he re-raises or just calls.

With K-6 he may have folded or called but no re-raised.

After you got your set on the flop, there is enough in the pot for you to shove and end the hand. At this point he may have called his weak king or folded.

I think you lost mainly because you let him see more cards and never gave him a chance to fold his weak hand.

N

NKGB13

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You were very short and a hand like 77 has value if you can get it heads up to the flop.

A lot of this is table and opponent dependent, but in a situation like that a preflop re-raise would have been better. I would have 2bet his raise just to help push off any other limpers and see if he re-raises or just calls.

With K-6 he may have folded or called but no re-raised.

After you got your set on the flop, there is enough in the pot for you to shove and end the hand. At this point he may have called his weak king or folded.

I think you lost mainly because you let him see more cards and never gave him a chance to fold his weak hand.

I really thought of ending the hand before but I was really confident that he had AK, KJ etc.. So I didn't want him to fold.. Was trying to extract more value, but yes, I do agree the pot was already good to get it

Skatoosh

Skatoosh

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really thought of ending the hand before but I was really confident that he had AK, KJ etc.. So I didn't want him to fold.. Was trying to extract more value, but yes, I do agree the pot was already good to get it

Be cautious with giving your opponent too much credit on their hand. That's something I have noted about the pros. They seldom give credit to their opponents hands unless the story that the opponent tells is coherent.

Either way it was very unlucky for you.

Folding in Poker