BB (Hero): 82,870 (28 bb)

Pre-Flop: (5,100) Hero is BB with Q T
SB raises to 6,000, Hero calls 3,000

Flop: (12,600) Q 8 Q (2 players)
Hero checks, SB checks

Turn: (12,600) 8 (2 players)
Hero bets 4,500, SB calls 4,500

River: (21,600) 9 (2 players)
Hero bets 39,000, SB raises to 239,330 (all-in), Hero calls 33,070 (all-in)

This is a HU hand.
Villain is quite active and aggressive (AF>3), 8max VPIP/PFR ~36/25.
How would you play this hand?

C

cgcook38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's a really interesting result. I like the way you played it. I don't usually go for a massive overbet on the river, but it seemed the have the result you were looking for. I would imagine you split this hand? Or did you accidentally run into Q9? Usually I would bet around 14k on the river hoping that an 8 or a flush would call me.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends what we're targeting here - what range do you think is best to call you? I would expect villain's range to be pretty weak overall and would look to get called by ace high and sometimes even K high or maybe like 99, TT, and JJ, and occasionally some flushes.

So I'd be betting small. Like half pot probably. When you overbet to this size, in general you are only getting called by boats. So 99, Q9, Qx, and 8x. And I think as played there's just not much 8x in villain's range, so I prefer the smaller sizing.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends what we're targeting here - what range do you think is best to call you? I would expect villain's range to be pretty weak overall and would look to get called by ace high and sometimes even K high or maybe like 99, TT, and JJ, and occasionally some flushes.

So I'd be betting small. Like half pot probably. When you overbet to this size, in general you are only getting called by boats. So 99, Q9, Qx, and 8x. And I think as played there's just not much 8x in villain's range, so I prefer the smaller sizing.

I am hoping to get called by 8x, any flush or even Ace high for non believer as I have a polarised range here.

I don't like half pot bet, imagine I have 30bb behind after river bet and I would have a very tough spot if villain reraised me to all in.

Overbetting here I may find a fold if I had a deeper stack.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't really overbet huge expecting to get called by tons of worse combos but ALSO be afraid of getting raise by better when you bet small. That's inconsistent reasoning about what villain's range is and where we are in our own distribution... You still have one of the best hands you can possibly hold if you bet small.

So go ahead and call a raise, I don't really see the problem.

You got raised in this spot and called off anyway, but you literally just said "overbetting I here I may find a fold if I had a deeper stack" - but you DON'T have a deeper stack. So how is that relevant?