EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There was a discussion at the poker table tonight in the CC freeoll.

The guy holding 77 was told he played his hand incorrectly, he said put the hand in the forum and see what people think, so I am doing just that.

Did he play this correctly??:

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There was a discussion at the poker table tonight in the CC freeoll.

The guy holding 77 was told he played his hand incorrectly, he said put the hand in the forum and see what people think, so I am doing just that.

Did he play this correctly??:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feZvR7PGgNw

Thank U 4 posting

Vs the 2 hands he was up against it is correct but 77 should have considered the very tight range that the blinds should have not just the hands shown down. In fact the 2 hands may have been at the bottom of the range that the blinds would raise call a shove. 77 may have found themselves in the spot of being up against 88+ and AQ+

If that is true than the 77 is a call at best not a shove and is probably more profitable as a fold in a tournament.

Hope this helps
:):)

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
20ish BB in middle position with 77 shouldn't be a shove at that stage of the game. However, that just looks like loose play all around the table.

A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand was played very poorly all the way around. 77 should probably just be flatting here or folding, but shouldn't really even be having to make much of a decision here. The SB should be all in. The BB should be all in. 77 should then be folding behind 2 all ins.

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After two all-in, there is an easy fold with sevens.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the raise is fine and standard - when the sb clicks us back this is alarming and screams strength. Not sure why they aren't rejamming preflop here with less than 20BBs - AK and AQ should be shoving here all day long - the click back is surely strange from the guy who is OOP vs 2 opponents this entire hand - the the BB cold calls the 3b click back and that sets off alarm bells too....the price is too good for us to fold BUT if I can't find the fold here I think I just call, set mine, or look to check/jam on a safe flop (which there will not be many of).

The problem here is at BEST we are flipping with strong Ax and crushed by everything else that would click us back from the SB. So I would air on the side of caution here and look to preserve my stack.

All of that being said, I bet if we plug this hand into a program like icmizer I feel like its OK for us to go broke with a pair and 20BB. Would have to run it to be sure. Anyhow, that's my line of thought. Hope it helps.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From EP 77 is one of the worst hands, Hero should open, especially with this stack size. And just as a pure default, when we have one of the worst hands in our range, we should fold to 3-bets. This situation is a little special, because its an undersized 3-bet. So maybe we can call, but the spot still kind of suck, because the SPR will be just around one, and what are we really going to do, unless we flop a set?

I guess, this is why, Hero jammed. But Hero has almost no fold equity given, that both opponents have already put in nearly a third of their stack. And if there is no fold equity, then Hero is not getting a good price committing his entire stack to defend an initial investment of less than 10% of his stack. So on balance I would just pretend, someone had already shoved, and fold this hand.

Of course knowing their hands this was a profitable jam, but if either opponent has a bigger pair, hero is getting it in with less than 20% equity in a 3-way pot. And bigger pairs will be a big part of either opponents range. So this was an absolute best case scenario, which will only happen one in five times or something of that magnitude.

S

Sechanski

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course this is not good position with 77 ,may be just call, but after the turn with no 7 on the table is very stupid to expect anything except fold.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some people seem to think that any pair is the nuts. This guy is clearly one of them. His play was bad.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The guy with the 7s was capping the blinds with just holding Ajo+, he wasn't putting the blinds on any pocket pairs. That was his reply to the one that said his play was bad.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank U 4 posting

Vs the 2 hands he was up against it is correct but 77 should have considered the very tight range that the blinds should have not just the hands shown down. In fact the 2 hands may have been at the bottom of the range that the blinds would raise call a shove. 77 may have found themselves in the spot of being up against 88+ and AQ+

If that is true than the 77 is a call at best not a shove and is probably more profitable as a fold in a tournament.

Hope this helps
:):)

We really do not want to be setmining on these stack imo. Push to fully realise equity or fold.

I'd say a jam is totally fine for a couple of reasons (this is assuming icm isn't much of a factor in this stage, which isn't given):
  • (Major reason): it's a freeroll, there's heaps of button clicking going on
  • I don't think general population is capable of flatting AA type hands as big blind. Probably a bunch of broadway hands, SC and 'low' (< 99) pp that he flats, which is a mistake imo to cold call 5bb (25% of stack) OOP here, but I believe general population will. If we jam, we pick up a bunch of free money here (I think we have both more FE and raw equity than we should vs BB).
  • I don't see SB folding too much here, but with all the dead money in the pot we're getting a profitable spot imo.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We really do not want to be setmining on these stack imo. Push to fully realise equity or fold.

I'd say a jam is totally fine for a couple of reasons (this is assuming icm isn't much of a factor in this stage, which isn't given):
  • (Major reason): it's a freeroll, there's heaps of button clicking going on
  • I don't think general population is capable of flatting AA type hands as big blind. Probably a bunch of broadway hands, SC and 'low' (< 99) pp that he flats, which is a mistake imo to cold call 5bb (25% of stack) OOP here, but I believe general population will. If we jam, we pick up a bunch of free money here (I think we have both more FE and raw equity than we should vs BB).
  • I don't see SB folding too much here, but with all the dead money in the pot we're getting a profitable spot imo.

Thank you for posting

All great points you are making.
We should be careful not to assign qualities to our V that apply to broadly

In the tournament in question my assessment of range for the blinds is based on this tournament not all tournaments
In this tournament QQ JJ TT 99 88 all are flat called in the BB and then call shoves
The SB 3 bet range for this sizing in this tournament starts at AK

Not everyone but many will make that play in this tournament

Thanks for sharing your thoughts