$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Funny moments in CardsChat tournaments

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are things that can't be explained or analyzed, so I called them funny moments. You could also post your funny moments in this topic so that players on the forum get more information in tournaments. Perhaps someone will even be able to explain what is happening.

I would like to share a situation that happened yesterday. I watched the wsop 2020 stream hosted by Daniel Negreanu and participated in CardsChat $100 Daily. Aggressive players were at my table for half an hour. 5 bet, 10 bet, all-in is not a problem. The monster hand came to me at last. I noticed the main aggressor at the table, who participated in almost all the hands. He was in the tilt after losing part of his all-in stack. We haven't come face-to-face with it before, although I always play for 2-3 hours and often reach the prize zone. There was no point in raising the preflop stakes, so I decided to hide my hand and make sure there was no ace on the flop.
The flop came out fine Js 8c 6d. My QQ hand checks and waits for the villain to pull some trick. Pot 350 chips and the villain goes all in 5118 chips. Oh, my God. Does he have two pairs or a set? No, no, no. You might think so if you haven't been following him all this time. He wanted everyone to fold and I read it. Even 80 % on winning didn't help me. pokerstars sometimes encourages such players unfortunately. I think the opponent's hand will surprise you at the end of this post.

PokerStars $100 Daily Freerolls
Freeroll hold'em Unlimited (25/50)

UTG: _xrolex_90 (2096 chips)
UTG+1: dobragodina (2080 chips)
MP: mtl mile end (4285 chips)
LO: scvijic (6471 chips)
HJ: tiogerson (3912 chips)
CO: PedroVitor87 (5218 chips)
BTN: SupImPeace (2862 chips)
SB: Hero (2835 chips)
BB: Landaith (2835 chips)

Pre-Flop:
_xrolex_90: makes a fold
dobragodina: makes a fold
mtl mile end: makes a fold
scvijic: raises 100
tiogerson: makes a fold
PedroVitor87: makes a call of 100
SupImPeace: makes a fold
Hero: makes a call of 75
Landaith: makes a fold.

Flop: (350) [Js 8c 6d] (3 players)
Hero: makes a check
scvijic: makes a check
PedroVitor87: makes bet 5118 and all-in
Hero: makes a 2735 call and all-in
scvijic: makes a fold [6h Ah].

Turn: [Js 8c 6d] 2♥

River: [Js 8c 6d 2h] 3♥

Total pot: 5820

Showdown:
Hero:opens[Qd Qs],
PedroVitor87:opens [5h 4d] (straight [deuce-six])

By the way, the villain lost his entire stack in ten minutes.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love, that you call it “funny moments”, because that is exactly, what it is. So many people take freerolls and micro stakes games way to serious and go on massive tilt, when they lose a hand like this. So big cadeau to you for not falling into that trap :star:

That being said I think, you should have put in a good solid 3-bet preflop. You have the third best starting hand in NLH, so why not raise it up and get some value? And also protect your hand. Its almost a miracle, that BB did not come along for the ride, and 4-ways or even 3-ways the equity of a hand like QQ goes down a lot.

Sure it kind of worked this time, since you got someone to pile in his entire stack with just a gutshot. But other times you get a bad flop with an A or K or maybe trips, and his semibluff will actually work. Or he outflopped you, and now you are paying him off. If you make a solid 3-bet, most likely 54o goes away, and you win a small pot. Or you get it heads up against the other guy and win against him. And while less funny, this is going to be more profitable in the long run :)

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love, that you call it “funny moments”, because that is exactly, what it is. So many people take freerolls and micro stakes games way to serious and go on massive tilt, when they lose a hand like this. So big cadeau to you for not falling into that trap :star:

That being said I think, you should have put in a good solid 3-bet preflop. You have the third best starting hand in NLH, so why not raise it up and get some value? And also protect your hand. Its almost a miracle, that BB did not come along for the ride, and 4-ways or even 3-ways the equity of a hand like QQ goes down a lot.

Sure it kind of worked this time, since you got someone to pile in his entire stack with just a gutshot. But other times you get a bad flop with an A or K or maybe trips, and his semibluff will actually work. Or he outflopped you, and now you are paying him off. If you make a solid 3-bet, most likely 54o goes away, and you win a small pot. Or you get it heads up against the other guy and win against him. And while less funny, this is going to be more profitable in the long run :)

Totally agree. Raising pre flop is the best option here. If this villain is a maniac then he/she will not necessarily wait for the flop to get crazy and probably will raise your pre flop raise. This will not allow others in the hand and will allow you to play heads up against the nut job. With QQ, you will happily get in pre here and let the cards fall as they may.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Yes, I was definitely thinking about raising on the small blind at the time. But not 3-bet, because their stack exceeded mine by 2 times and players of this type can call with at least one ace in their pocket. So I was thinking 5-bet and all-in, or just a risk-free call. Perhaps he would have discarded the cards if I had put all in on the preflop. The big blind didn't bother me. Because this player does not get into fights and will not give up a single extra chip without having a good hand. It would be nice if the opponents would go into this topic and explain why they played like that.:saint:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I was definitely thinking about raising on the small blind at the time. But not 3-bet, because their stack exceeded mine by 2 times and players of this type can call with at least one ace in their pocket.

With an effective stack size of 55BB, I think, we must be willing to 3-bet without going all in, even when we are out of position. We are just missing way to much value, if we only call or shove in that situation. And its fine, if they call with AX, when you have QQ. You get value, and postflop is pretty easy to play even out of position. You can get away on a A or K high flop, and on J high or lower you just bet for value, and they either fold or pay you off, because they hit a worse pair with their kicker.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
CC freerolls have definite phases. The 1st phase (usually the first 30 minutes) have players doing all kinds of crazy, nonsensical things. Very aggro, with not much rhyme nor reason.

However, once the field is thinned and the tourney is getting close to the money, everything and everyone is playing as tight as a drum. I've seen the bubble last 20 mins in a CC freeroll. All the short stacks desperately holding on for a min cash.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
However, once the field is thinned and the tourney is getting close to the money, everything and everyone is playing as tight as a drum. I've seen the bubble last 20 mins in a CC freeroll. All the short stacks desperately holding on for a min cash.

This is also my experience. I have even seen people stalling on the bubble, which ok, I also do that sometimes, but for a 75c min-cash it does seem a little bit over the top :)

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is also my experience. I have even seen people stalling on the bubble, which ok, I also do that sometimes, but for a 75c min-cash it does seem a little bit over the top :)

I think all of the stalling for a min cash is really bad, but it seems as if I'm in a minority here, so I no longer say anything.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here is such a funny situation happened yesterday. I had to put all in with a small stack. But the player on the big blind played carefully. I knew I could only get his blind. My stack needed to be doubled. It was important for me that the opponent got some chances on the flop. However, the dealer not only rewarded the opponent with a pair, but also made a monster out of my hand.
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/224Gp0k72

Viparida

Viparida

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, it happens in poker not always the one that win is a good player. He probably was tilted too. It`s part of the game.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, it happens in poker not always the one that win is a good player. He probably was tilted too. It`s part of the game.
Yes, I'm just trying to be careful. Fate can play a cruel trick.

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm pedroVitor87, and yes, that's the reason to be agressive in some pots, when i have you can be caught... like you are in that hand... (i'm dont remember if i lost in 10 minutes my stack, but if you sayng... hahaha Sry for that moment =) by the way, if up the pre-flop i'm certaly dont go to that hand, and definily dont shove.... (only after river)

There are things that can't be explained or analyzed, so I called them funny moments. You could also post your funny moments in this topic so that players on the forum get more information in tournaments. Perhaps someone will even be able to explain what is happening.

I would like to share a situation that happened yesterday. I watched the WSOP 2020 stream hosted by Daniel Negreanu and participated in CardsChat $100 Daily. Aggressive players were at my table for half an hour. 5 bet, 10 bet, all-in is not a problem. The monster hand came to me at last. I noticed the main aggressor at the table, who participated in almost all the hands. He was in the tilt after losing part of his all-in stack. We haven't come face-to-face with it before, although I always play for 2-3 hours and often reach the prize zone. There was no point in raising the preflop stakes, so I decided to hide my hand and make sure there was no ace on the flop.
The flop came out fine Js 8c 6d. My QQ hand checks and waits for the villain to pull some trick. Pot 350 chips and the villain goes all in 5118 chips. Oh, my God. Does he have two pairs or a set? No, no, no. You might think so if you haven't been following him all this time. He wanted everyone to fold and I read it. Even 80 % on winning didn't help me. PokerStars sometimes encourages such players unfortunately. I think the opponent's hand will surprise you at the end of this post.

PokerStars $100 Daily Freerolls
Freeroll hold'em Unlimited (25/50)

UTG: _xrolex_90 (2096 chips)
UTG+1: dobragodina (2080 chips)
MP: mtl mile end (4285 chips)
LO: scvijic (6471 chips)
HJ: tiogerson (3912 chips)
CO: PedroVitor87 (5218 chips)
BTN: SupImPeace (2862 chips)
SB: Hero (2835 chips)
BB: Landaith (2835 chips)

Pre-Flop:
_xrolex_90: makes a fold
dobragodina: makes a fold
mtl mile end: makes a fold
scvijic: raises 100
tiogerson: makes a fold
PedroVitor87: makes a call of 100
SupImPeace: makes a fold
Hero: makes a call of 75
Landaith: makes a fold.

Flop: (350) [Js 8c 6d] (3 players)
Hero: makes a check
scvijic: makes a check
PedroVitor87: makes bet 5118 and all-in
Hero: makes a 2735 call and all-in
scvijic: makes a fold [6h Ah].

Turn: [Js 8c 6d] 2♥

River: [Js 8c 6d 2h] 3♥

Total pot: 5820

Showdown:
Hero:opens[Qd Qs],
PedroVitor87:opens [5h 4d] (straight [deuce-six])

By the way, the villain lost his entire stack in ten minutes.

Last edited:
7CardKillR

7CardKillR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I 5.5x squeeze pre w/ QQ in this spot

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm pedroVitor87, and yes, that's the reason to be agressive in some pots, when i have you can be caught... like you are in that hand... (i'm dont remember if i lost in 10 minutes my stack, but if you sayng... hahaha Sry for that moment =) by the way, if up the pre-flop i'm certaly dont go to that hand, and definily dont shove.... (only after river)
I always stay for 5-10 minutes after the elimination. This is a useful time to view and analyze important hands played in the tournament in the replay. And if at that time I noticed that you were out in a couple of minutes, then so it was. The strange point was something else. Why was this aggression necessary?

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
isnt necessary but you can do nice pots in begin of tournaments, when the blinds are small and you dont lose so much... the play we see here, i lose only 2k if i dont get the pot, i cant say this was a good play (i'm realy dont remember that play), but the QQ too dont play well too.... (i'm always try switch betwen agresive and chill game in same tournament)

I always stay for 5-10 minutes after the elimination. This is a useful time to view and analyze important hands played in the tournament in the replay. And if at that time I noticed that you were out in a couple of minutes, then so it was. The strange point was something else. Why was this aggression necessary?

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
isnt necessary but you can do nice pots in begin of tournaments, when the blinds are small and you dont lose so much... the play we see here, i lose only 2k if i dont get the pot, i cant say this was a good play (i'm realy dont remember that play), but the QQ too dont play well too.... (i'm always try switch betwen agresive and chill game in same tournament)
My goal is to have the best chances before the river opens. In this case, I could get more than half of your stack with more than 80% chance. I did everything for this. We have a different view of the game. Then I will see you at the poker tables.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I was definitely thinking about raising on the small blind at the time. But not 3-bet, because their stack exceeded mine by 2 times and players of this type can call with at least one ace in their pocket. So I was thinking 5-bet and all-in, or just a risk-free call. Perhaps he would have discarded the cards if I had put all in on the preflop. The big blind didn't bother me. Because this player does not get into fights and will not give up a single extra chip without having a good hand. It would be nice if the opponents would go into this topic and explain why they played like that.:saint:

Thank U 4 Posting

You stated this "just a risk-free call"

We want to think more deeply about that thought process.

So if you have QQ versus AJ you have 71% equity.
Add in another player with 54 because you did not 3bet preflop.
Your equity with QQ drops to 58%- you increased your chances of losing the pot by 46%

Full equity realization is also much harder with QQ when limped because now boards with small cards can make straights -sets and 2 pairs, all of which are much harder to read in a game where villains will stack off with top pair as well.

It is a difficult concept for new players to understand but raising lowers risk.

It is why solid players like "fundiver" are almost always raising when they enter pots.

Hope this helps
:):)

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
raising lowers risk.

This should be a mantra for anyone playing low/microstakes and the OP's situation is a good example of how a lot of microstakes players play. There's a chapter on this in the 'learn to play poker in 30 days' ebook under the poker strategy tab.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This should be a mantra for anyone playing low/microstakes and the OP's situation is a good example of how a lot of microstakes players play. There's a chapter on this in the 'learn to play poker in 30 days' ebook under the Poker strategy tab.
I read this book as soon as it appeared. And I read others so I don't forget about poker. Because I started playing poker 13 years ago. Great advice.:congrats:

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank U 4 Posting

You stated this "just a risk-free call"

We want to think more deeply about that thought process.

So if you have QQ versus AJ you have 71% equity.
Add in another player with 54 because you did not 3bet preflop.
Your equity with QQ drops to 58%- you increased your chances of losing the pot by 46%

Full equity realization is also much harder with QQ when limped because now boards with small cards can make straights -sets and 2 pairs, all of which are much harder to read in a game where villains will stack off with top pair as well.

It is a difficult concept for new players to understand but raising lowers risk.

It is why solid players like "fundiver" are almost always raising when they enter pots.

Hope this helps
:):)
Do you really think that the participants in this hand would not have called 3bet on the preflop ? You're looking at the cards, okay. But I look at the players. The participant of this hand, pedrovitorcosta, explained his point of view. He calls often, because for him the beginning of the tournament is a chance to increase the stack.
Raising against aggressive players leads to an all-in with multiple players on the preflop. Scvijic was in the middle position and made the minimum raise in this hand. Now I'll give you an example. A couple of days ago, I ended up on the same table as him. Scvijic raised from UTG position with A9. I was in the blinds with AK and made a 4-bet raise. He pushed everything on the preflop and I was forced to call. I provoked him and was crushed at the beginning of the tournament.
I may not be as successful as you, but I've been playing poker for a long time. My first poker room was Full Tilt. You're talking about equity pre-flop, when many players just go all in with any cards. I don't calculate equity during the hand, but I always keep an eye on the odds. If I wasn't confident in my hand here, I wouldn't have done this. But this is a difficult concept for beginners, isn't it? How many years have you been playing? Or should I call you rookie like you called me ?:icon_stud