$Freeroll NLHE MTT: $Freeroll NLHE MTT: 88 Should we call on the river?

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 54/20/2

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 54/20/2

This hand I played today on Cardschat's freeroll). Villian was pretty passive guy and on a previous hand I saw him checking back twice with nut FD. Betting into 3 people seemed strong, but size was small and the turn bet too. River is completely break and all the draws missed, but I ended up folding. This situation might be pretty obvious for you, but I'd like to know what's the optimal play here and on the same similar situations.

Poker Stars, $0.01 Buy-in (25/50 blinds) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 8 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: 630 (12.6 bb)
BB: 1,351 (27 bb)
UTG+2: 5,095 (101.9 bb)
MP1: 2,080 (41.6 bb)
MP2: 197 (3.9 bb)
MP3: 2,420 (48.4 bb)
Hero (CO): 3,645 (72.9 bb)
BTN: 4,053 (81.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8
club4.gif
spade4.gif

UTG+2 raises to 150, 3 folds, Hero calls 150, BTN calls 150, SB calls 125, BB folds

Flop: (650) 3
club4.gif
Q
club4.gif
Q
diamond4.gif
(4 players)
SB checks, UTG+2 bets 150, Hero calls 150, 2 folds

Turn: (950) 5
diamond4.gif
(2 players)
UTG+2 bets 300, Hero calls 300

River: (1,550) 2
spade4.gif
(2 players)
UTG+2 bets 600, Hero folds

Results: 1,550 pot
Final Board: 3
club4.gif
Q
club4.gif
Q
diamond4.gif
diamond4.gif
spade4.gif

UTG+2 mucked and won 1,550 (950 net)
Hero mucked 8
club4.gif
spade4.gif
and lost (-600 net)

omnom8

omnom8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
without any meta game there is hard to say but if you call turn you must call this river.

it multi pot there is a lot of chance that somebody catched Qx or set so i will look for set and fold or if i decided to see turn i will call this river. also he bets too small fo Qx or set ( fullhouse ) all streets so it can be call call call and the cards are really good for our 88.

the optimal play is to see flop and fold without set.
or 3bet big pre and play vs 1-2 players.
or call call call and see any two.

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
without any meta game there is hard to say but if you call turn you must call this river.

it multi pot there is a lot of chance that somebody catched Qx or set so i will look for set and fold or if i decided to see turn i will call this river. also he bets too small fo Qx or set ( fullhouse ) all streets so it can be call call call and the cards are really good for our 88.

the optimal play is to see flop and fold without set.
or 3bet big pre and play vs 1-2 players.
or call call call and see any two.
3bet pots are my weak spot, so I'll pass.Usually people bet small with their nutted hands. Folding on flop seems too weak for me and also we can beat some value bets, overcards and draws. Have to agree, with this runout folding on river seems bad. Thanks for review!

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We describe the villain as mostly passive, saying we've seen him check back with the nut FD twice in another hand...

What exactly are we hoping to beat here when the villan
1. opens preflop (and gets THREE calls)
2. cbets the flop (INTO THREE PEOPLE)
3. continues barreling on total bricks

I don't even like the situation on the flop, let alone on the river. I'd be peeling one bet begrudgingly on the flop and almost certainly folding turn or river.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I probably would have folded on the turn. The bet size under 50% of the pot on all 3 streets to me says, that he wants you to call. Maybe either AQ, or even KK or AA. Risky bets if you had KK or AA, but since you didnt re-raise after the flop or turn, he probably thought he was safe and continuing his smaller bet, hoping for a call.
We describe the villain as mostly passive, saying we've seen him check back with the nut FD twice in another hand...

What exactly are we hoping to beat here when the villan
1. opens preflop (and gets THREE calls)
2. cbets the flop (INTO THREE PEOPLE)
3. continues barreling on total bricks

I don't even like the situation on the flop, let alone on the river. I'd be peeling one bet begrudgingly on the flop and almost certainly folding turn or river.

^ This.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The question is, why did Hero call preflop? Hoping to flop a set seems to be the only reason. If that's the case, Hero should be folding to the CB. Villain CBs into three players from EP. Is that a bluff? Een in a free roll, I doubt it Hero only has 2 outs to a bigger pair. Fold.

As played, I fold the turn and the river.

Flight777sem

Flight777sem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are calling the turn you should call the river as well. What you are expecting to see on river if you are paying the turn already. If i am going to call that turn I’d say myself that; I’ll shut it down on river if there is A or K except than that I’ll call river.