$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Freeroll KQs OOP on QA4 board

S

sarniack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played this hand on pokerstars TV freeroll. I saw villain few times being aggressive with rags that made middle pairs.

No Limit Hold'em Tournament T100/T200
Buy-in: Freeroll Hold'em No Limit
PokerStars
9 players
Formatted by pokercopilot.com: Poker HUD for Mac and Windows

Stacks:
UTG - UTG (T865)
UTG+1 - UTG+1 (T5*807)
UTG+2 - UTG+2 (T23*249)
MP - MP (T855)
MP2 - MP2 (T1*040)
CO - CO (T2*500)
BTN - BTN (T2*395)
SB - SB (T775)
BB - Hero (T9*330)

Preflop: (T300, 9 players) Hero is BB with K<font color='black'>♠</font> Q<font color='black'>♠</font>
1 fold, UTG+1 raises to T500, UTG+2 calls T500, 5 folds, Hero calls T300

Flop: Q<font color='black'>♣</font> A<font color='red'>♥</font> 4<font color='red'>♥</font> (T1*600, 3 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks

Turn: T<font color='red'>♥</font> (T1*600, 3 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 bets T1*600, Hero calls T1*600, 1 fold

River: T<font color='black'>♠</font> (T4*800, 2 players)
Hero checks, UTG+2 bets T3*200, Hero raises to T7*230 (all-in), UTG+2 calls T4*030

Total Pot: T19*260

Hero shows K<font color='black'>♠</font> Q<font color='black'>♠</font> (two pair, Queens and Tens)
UTG+2 shows 9<font color='black'>♣</font> T<font color='red'>♦</font> (three of a kind, Tens)

UTG+2 wins T19*260

Was villains holding that obvious? When he bet the turn I thought that he felt I am weak and wanted to take it right there. I am pretty sure that he would bet flush draw on the flop so I was thinking that maybe he has a hand like K:heart: / Q:heart: / J:heart: rag and now he wants to turn it into a bluff. I totally didn't take into account that he can start aggression with third pair, so I thought that offsuit T is actually good card for me.

Any thoughts? Do you think I should re raise on the turn? I am starting to think it would be the best play here.

froggeedogs

froggeedogs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
kq oop

Flush and str8 draw on board and ace on the board, basically your only hope was a black jack. check on flop and no help for you. I fold every time. you have to put him on a str8 at least which in your position was the same as a set. you couldn't beat either. just my opinion, but i am also very cautious player.

C

colbear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
aggression

I would of bet the flop .They both checked giving you the opportunity to show strength and take it down . Take it down early draws might of called but A would of bet with those draws on board so chances are you are ahead on flop . Villain would of folded as he was on air at this time

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All-in with bluff catcher on the river?)))) What a joke?)))

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On a suited, paired board, with an ace - you having a second pair just gave all your chips to the villain. There was a fold on after the raise on the turn.

G

Gerb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely fold river, not sure about the turn. I'd be tempted to call depending on villain aggression so far, but im worried that other better players on here are going to say 'if you call the turn, you have to call the river'. Im not sure what the explanation is for that, but either way i think its too tight to fold the turn. If the river is a blank, i think i might call the same size bet, since villain appears to be very transparent.

S

sarniack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flush and str8 draw on board and ace on the board, basically your only hope was a black jack. check on flop and no help for you.

Villain was very aggressive and I wasn't afraid of aces, I also think he would bet the flop with any ace, flush draw and straight draws. But I may be wrong ;)

I would of bet the flop

Yeah, I think it could be the best play there, despite my weak holding on that board. Thanks for the opinion.

All-in with bluff catcher on the river?)))) What a joke?)))

Why are you saying it is a joke? Villain was turbo aggressive before, even with weak draws and second pairs. I think that he has like tons of bluffs there after he checked the flop imo. Maybe this wasn't best play, but I don't think with that player and on this flop action it is a joke.

On a suited, paired board, with an ace - you having a second pair just gave all your chips to the villain. There was a fold on after the raise on the turn.

Do you think that super aggressive villain has any aces after checking the flop? I seriously doubt it. But other than that, yeah, I think it is a fold, thanks for the opinion.

Last edited:
No1eJoker

No1eJoker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should have check on the river, or fold after his re-raise. That is very bad bluff !

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Complete spew. Fold the turn vs aggression here, you're facing a pot sized bet OOP with 5 clean outs. What is shoving this river supposed to accomplish? You do not have the Kh so you are not blocking any flushes, while you also have very little fold equity on a x/shove here.

If you felt your opponent was very weighted towards air here then why not flat call? Villain like does not bet Ax on the turn/river to this sizing so the only thing shoving the river does is lose 4,030 more vs villain's value hands and fold out villain's bluffs. Your thought process in the OP is completely results oriented.

S

sarniack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is shoving this river supposed to accomplish? You do not have the Kh so you are not blocking any flushes, while you also have very little fold equity on a x/shove here. If you felt your opponent was very weighted towards air here then why not flat call?

Good point, thanks.

Your thought process in the OP is completely results oriented.

Can you explain why you think that? As I said before, villain was super aggressive so I still think that I can narrow his range on the flop check. I know that not putting ten in his range is a mistake, but you know, there is not much time to analyse online ;)

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was villains holding that obvious? When he bet the turn I thought that he felt I am weak and wanted to take it right there. I am pretty sure that he would bet flush draw on the flop so I was thinking that maybe he has a hand like K / Q / J rag and now he wants to turn it into a bluff. I totally didn't take into account that he can start aggression with third pair, so I thought that offsuit T is actually good card for me.

Any thoughts? Do you think I should re raise on the turn? I am starting to think it would be the best play here.
When analyzing the hand, taking the results into account is only going to lead to flawed analysis. You also said after that re-raising the turn would possibly be the best play here. After seeing what your opponent showed down its easy to say that, however vs his overall range, calling is going to be a much better play so we keep all of his bluffs in rather than fold them out and get stacked by villain's 2pr+.

S

sarniack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You also said after that re-raising the turn would possibly be the best play here.

Thanks for the explanation. When it comes to re raise, I actually meant that if I think that he bets all flush draws and strong hands on the flop, it actually would make sense to re raise the turn and represent flush or KJ. Not because I knew the result, just to take initiative after I narrowed his range a lot based on his flop check (right or wrong, I assumed that he doesn't have strong hands / draws).

But in general you are right, this is not the best hand selection anyway...

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a freeroll, given the line of action, I can easily say he had some T (I haven't seen the spoiler before making the comment). People usually play straight forward in a freeroll, they bet when they have made a hand, fold when they haven't (unless, you're dealing with a complete maniac).

And on your play, what was the plan on the river? Getting value from worse hand, but what worse hands are there: some rag Q, you split with those; some smaller pair (they don't bet on the river)? bluffing? What did you expect him to fold that you're not beating already? You're loosing to an Ace and you would be surprised how much people love those pair of aces (in freeroll). So in general, I don't understand the reason for the river-play. Was it a value bet, was it a bluff? I'm confused.

Let me give you some advice on freerolls (I think I've enough experience with those, given I've built my roll playing them): Don't ever think about ranging. It's not what you can do in these tournaments, people play straight forward (yes, even the maniacs). Think specific hands/cards. You'll be better-off.

S

sarniack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And on your play, what was the plan on the river? Getting value from worse hand, but what worse hands are there: some rag Q, you split with those; some smaller pair (they don't bet on the river)? Bluffing?

Yup, this was bad play, I admitted it somewhere here I think ;) The thing is that if I think he was bluffing, I should have either re raise the turn or just call the river. Which is also debatable on such wet board of course, but much better than the river shove ;)

Thanks for the comment!

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why are you saying it is a joke? Villain was turbo aggressive before, even with weak draws and second pairs. I think that he has like tons of bluffs there after he checked the flop imo. Maybe this wasn't best play, but I don't think with that player and on this flop action it is a joke.

Villain never calls you with bluff lol. So you can play check-call or check-fold only

S

sarniack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain never calls you with bluff lol. So you can play check-call or check-fold only

Ah, yes, this was bad ;) I thought that you meant that even considering a bluff there is a joke (which from perspective seems bad anyway, but I wouldn't call it a joke ;)). Anyway thanks for the opinion.