$Freeroll NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Playing AQo on the button v BB

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi. I was playing the 888 Level 80+ Freeroll the other night and got served the first hand under the button.

I was AhQs and had 5000 chips. The blinds were 100/50 (no ante).

Everyone folded, so I raised 3bb. 450 in the pot.

Sb folded, but BB raised another 450. 900 in the pot, so I called the 250 to make it now1150 in the pot.

The flop came 8c 3d Th.

The BB checked.

I had no other information on this player.

I’d be interested to know what your next play would be, and what you think of the opening bets.

Thanks

BB

K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the min raise pre give too little info, but their range generally AX - AK or TT - QQ
flop is a std 1/3 bet to me (we can get more info from their call/raise size)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Facing an undersized 3-bet is always weird. He is kind of saying, he have aces, and is trying to massage the pot a little bigger without losing his customer. Or he is getting silly with whatever. Since I dont really know, what is going on, and AQ has at least some showdown value, I prefer to just take the free card. Get one step closer to showdown, see what come, see what he does, and then make a decision. Its also an ok option to put out a small bet and then fold, if he check-raise. Finally I would pretty much put a fish label on this player right away. No good player is ever 3-betting out of position with this sizing, because it makes no sense.

Alaercio da Rocha

Alaercio da Rocha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would make a bet of about 3bbs and if it raises I would fold. For me it would make no sense to chek-raise because even though it goes over me before the flop I started beating.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the absence of information about the villain: a rate of a little less than 3/4 of the pot, and then on the situation.

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Facing an undersized 3-bet is always weird. He is kind of saying, he have aces, and is trying to massage the pot a little bigger without losing his customer. Or he is getting silly with whatever. Since I dont really know, what is going on, and AQ has at least some showdown value, I prefer to just take the free card. Get one step closer to showdown, see what come, see what he does, and then make a decision. Its also an ok option to put out a small bet and then fold, if he check-raise. Finally I would pretty much put a fish label on this player right away. No good player is ever 3-betting out of position with this sizing, because it makes no sense.

Yeah, I totally agreed with those. A weird play from that villain, either we have to do with a fish or with a reg with a premium hand. I'd also say AQ is good enough to make one check-call (if reasonable raise) and check-fold on turn without hit or improve.