$Freeroll NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: KJ suited in the BB playing BB defense. Raise or call?

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$Freeroll NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: KJ suited in the BB playing BB defense. Raise or call?

Hero has a double stack (due to doubling up), and is in the BB with KsJs Blinds are 15/30

Action folds to the CO who calls. action folds to hero who raises 87

CO folds

My question is this... Was my raise profitable, or should I call to see the flop, and then call his raises? On the other hand is seeing the flop too risky?
I am just wondering about the most profitable way to play suited broadway cards. Raise vs. call.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hero has a double stack (due to doubling up), and is in the BB with KsJs Blinds are 15/30

CO folds

My question is this... Was my raise profitable, or should I call to see the flop, and then call his raises? On the other hand is seeing the flop too risky?
I am just wondering about the most profitable way to play suited broadway cards. Raise vs. call.

I'd generally raise in this situation if you check you've let the CO see the flop cheaply and given him chance to hit and his range is wide so you have no idea what your up against. If you raise hes generally only going to call with the upper end of his range which means you have more idea where you are when the flop comes down, it also gives you the edge as the aggressor.

S

skeptix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raising is fine, checking is fine sometimes as well. For sure raising is profitable.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes raising is standard, checking works as well. Since it's deepstack , I would've probably raised a full 3x or 3.5x.

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like previous poster said, I would raise on the bigger side here because you have so many blinds. Generally, when a player limps in, you should raise 3x plus 1x BB for every limp to give the calling stations bad odds. However, this guys hand was so bad that he didn't even want to call 57 more chips so it worked in this case.

To answer your question though, I would base my play off of the opponent(if I have any reads). KJs is still just King high and if we miss the flop and try to bluff vs a calling station we can stand to lose a decent amount of chips vs. just checking and seeing a flop for free. I'm probably raising this 70% of the time and checking the rest, but it really depends on how many people limp before me and player tendencies.

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this play is fine. Both of you have a large chance of missing the flop, but they have position. They could check behind and try and hit the turn. Calling gives them the advantage, I think. Win the pot now with the bet and you collect ~2.5BB. Not a bad haul for KJs in the BB.

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm probably raising this 70% of the time and checking the rest, but it really depends on how many people limp before me and player tendencies.
When you say 70% of the time, what determines when you might raise or check? Is it random, or hand specific, or villain specific?

B

Brawo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would play the same way, Hand is playable, has a lot of equity preflop. Blinds are low and call from late position is a mistake. You put pressure on the opponent very well. He had marginal hands, maybe middle connectors or low/middle pairs. You can sleep quietly :)

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're asking the wrong question XD
Because your raise was very small.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you are ahead before the flop, so a check in this situation would be a mistake. Regarding the profitability of your actions, now it is more dependent on the level of play of your opponent. Most likely you are dealing with a weak player. His call and the subsequent pass to the position of CO look unconvincing.

X

xxgsaint5501xx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

CO folds

Played fine. Taking down a small pot with K high is never a bad thing and given the positions in the hand, the preferred outcome.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You need to know your villain somewhat to determine the best play. Check and raise are both appropriate. Raise if the villain is a rational, ABC-poker type of player. Check if you don't know the villain well and see where your KJ lies on the flop.

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u shouldn't raise with that hand if u r deep.. thats all, why u put in risk ur stack with bad cards? thats the question, or the answer lol