$Freeroll NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: How to lose a Cards Chat Freeroll in three straight hands

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the 1st hand, even if you'd raised pf, it's very unlikely that a CC player would fold any Ace preflop, and then fold to a bet on the flop with the gutter.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
On the 1st hand, even if you'd raised pf, it's very unlikely that a CC player would fold any Ace preflop, and then fold to a bet on the flop with the gutter.
I should have raised 3X + 2BB for the limpers, so raise 200 preflop.
On the flop there is diamond draw, low straight draw, and a Queen. Perfect flop to shove my entire stack. I have odds on the draws, and a Qx might call me.

I have thought about how I played the KK, and I can't think of a worse way than I played it. I just hope I learned from it (probably not).

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 1 is a bad decision pre flop and yes that sets up everything else for the hand but the rest of that is played fine imo. You could have played that hand worse by re-raising the river and you didnt lol. You checked the flop which as played to that point I would have done. You led the turn which I agree with as played. You bet river as I agree with as played. I think with the raise on the river I would be saying I am beat here but still might make a crying call based on price. Could have been a lot worse believe me, I can show you some of my hand histories to prove it.

Hand 2 I personally raise here but nothing wrong with throwing a strong hand in there for your just complete SB range. This will throw a lot of players off and you can win big pots this way. Villain in this hand had nothing so you really weren't going to win anything anyway.

Hand 3 is bad for a few reasons. One is the obvious that you know that you will normally only get called if you are beat. It is a freeroll so you will see some AJ call there so you never know but would be better to just see a flop there. Bigger reason it is bad though is that you did this as you admitted because of tilt. That should be your takeaway from all this. This early in a tournament when you are still 45 BB deep you should be able to not tilt yourself. I get it (but still try to avoid it) if you had a disastrous start and are down to 10-15BB but you are still deep and have time before even the antes kick in. You are too good to allow yourself to go on tilt when you are still that deep. You have the ability to get back in it. Always think to yourself about being tenacious and never giving up. If you know push/fold poker (and I know you do) then you should never consider yourself out of it unless you have nothing left.

W

wulfeman007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls are freerolls
any 2 can and will call
the kk you try to make money off them like that and people will call you on pretty much anything

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First hand with KK: I agree that you made a mistake. With KK we have to play very aggressively, because it is second best hand in poker. In this situation we should play isolation pre flop at least 5x-6x, even more than 5x-6x, because we are OOP and sometimes we should raise more when we play against very big stacks.
Second hand: I think that you should raise pre flop AKs from the small blind, because on the big blinds is deep stack. Sometimes we can limp pre flop Aks when on the big blinds is short stack on about 5-14bb, because short stacks very often will push very loose range.
Third hand: I think that it isn't big mistake to stack off AQo from the button on this stack against position small blind or big blind. Good players usually will think that you try to steal the blinds from the button with weak hands, this time you had AQo and it is a monster hand in this situation on this position. Good players from small blind will 3bet you very loose, almost every Ax and many time you will have better ace than your opponent. So this hand I probably play like hero. GL :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 1 KK
For sure you should have raised this up preflop, and as played I would also have bet out on the flop. I dont think, KK is quite good enough to go for a check-raise, and I dont want it to get checked through and give everyone a free chance to draw out on me. Turn and river were standard value bets, and I also dont think, you can fold to his mini-raise. Sure you are normally beat, but you only need to be good 1 in 6 times, and god knows, what some players might show up with here in a micro tournament or a freeroll. Some cant even read boards and might think, 65 is still a great hand to raise for value.

Hand 2 AK
Raising and limping from SB is both fine depending on your overall strategy and reads.

Hand 3 AQ
I would also have gotten it in here. I dont think, undersized 3-bets are ALWAYS aces or kings. Sometimes they are, but more often they are just random goofing around from someone, who is not very good. BTN vs. SB ranges should be wide, so I think, AQ is easily good enough to go with it. If you just call, you miss the flop 2 out of 3 times, and then he will bluff you out of the pot with his KJ or whatever. I would much rather force him to show me a hand, that beat my AQ, which unfortunately this time he had.

Conclusion
I think, you are being to hard on yourself. Apart from not raising KK pre, I dont think, you did anything wrong at all. And even if you did raise KK pre, he would not have folded, so you would still have lost and probably a much bigger pot. So mostly this was just run bad, and I would also have busted from these two hands.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 3 is bad for a few reasons. One is the obvious that you know that you will normally only get called if you are beat.

There are lots of situations in poker, where we should push, even though its usually bad news, if we get called. The reason for that is, that pushing gives us fold equity especially in tournaments, where we can sometimes apply a lot of ICM-pressure. Not so much in this hand but in general.

Also its somewhat misleading to talk about being "beat" preflop. Usually we have quite decent equity when called. Having our top card dominated by a pocket pair is just plainly unlucky. Even if Villain call with AK or QQ-KK, Hero is in much better shape, and there are 7 times more combos of those than AA.

In this spot I think, there are arguments for both calling and 4-bet jamming. It largely depends on, what reads you have on Villain, and how you prefer to play in a situation like this. The only real mistake would be folding, which would be way to nitty.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thanks for all the replies. I think you are all pretty much right.

But I think I found how to play KK in the future. The easy part (for me anyway) is getting a low enough stack that people will call you.

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/1qCKcM8

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You dug your own grave - limping KK is a mistake on ridiculously high levels this early in a game - then limping AKs (I guess KKs taught you nothing) - all to be followed by what is just a relative cooler.

You're play needs alot of work is this is how you are playing alot of hands - i also noticed the 3.5x sizing with AQo on just under 40bb - this is a horrible sizing and you are flipping your hand strength face up. My advice to you is to live in this room - read up on what people are doing correctly and noting what they are not. Somewhere through all of the replies you should start to see a general concensus as to what may be correct and what's questionable.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands