$Freeroll NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Bubble Play: Fold AA to a Donk Shove on Ts Jd 7d Flop?

CharlieWest

CharlieWest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$Freeroll NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Bubble Play: Fold AA to a Donk Shove on Ts Jd 7d Flop?

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 22/15/3.5

First time posting a hand so please be kind! And please give constructive suggestions on how to make the hand history more clear if necessary. :D

Playing in the bubble stage of a freeroll when I look down at two black Aces on the button. I had about 22,000 chips. Blinds were 400/800 and the Villain was first to limp in from UTG+2 (approximately 24,000 chips). It folds around to me and I raise it to 3,800 (which was the pot bet option). The blinds fold and the Villain thinks a little and then calls.

The flop comes Ts Jd 7d with 9,800 chips in the pot. The villain doesn't take long to think and shoves his remaining chips, which has me covered.

I have two questions. First, was my preflop raise an appropriate size?

Next, do I call the shove or fold?

He was a tight aggressive player (as am I). Ranging him, I could possibly put him on pairs, suited connectors, and broadway cards. I was thinking that for him to be ahead on the flop, he would have to have exactly 8 9, or possibly 7 7 (since I felt he would have raised preflop with JJ or TT), which could be possible, but is folding appropriate based on two possible hands that beat me or a possible flush or straight draw? I'm fairly new to the game so would love help in what I should be thinking about when someone donk bets against me like that.

Thanks in advance!

K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1st i think its a good 3b size, i might do 2800

2nd by jamming that flop i think he had flush draw (TXdd is a good card to jam there, a set & straight might slowplay) so its a call for me

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm going 4bb (2.8k) pre here.

I think you narrowed it down yourself and this is a call. Based on his stats, he'll likely raise JJ/TT pre and possibly 77. 98 definitely is not jamming this flop so you're likely up against a FD/1 pair hand. Even if your opponent has 2 pair you still have some outs.

CharlieWest

CharlieWest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, folks. I appreciate the insight.

I'm curious why you say that 98 is not jamming. What is the thinking behind that? Would they just check to me in the hopes that I c-bet? Would they then just call, or would they raise there? Your comment makes me want to learn what my optimal play would be if I were the Villain on what feels like a pretty coordinated board.

Also, if I were the Villain, would it be a bad move to slow play a set or straight under these circumstances?

Folding in Poker