$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Was continuing to bet/call the right choice?

rari458

rari458

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone, how would you have played this hand if it were you?

PokerStars - 50/100 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP+2: 11.6 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 4)
CO: 55.65 BB (VPIP: 75.00, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
BTN: 16.1 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
SB: 56.45 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
BB: 27.6 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
Hero (UTG): 40.3 BB
UTG+1: 123.6 BB (VPIP: 75.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
MP: 12.7 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
MP+1: 38.85 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q:club: T:spade:

Hero calls 1 BB, UTG+1 calls 1 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BB checks

Flop: (3.5 BB, 3 players) 3:heart: T:heart: 5:club:
BB bets 2 BB, Hero calls 2 BB, fold

Turn: (7.5 BB, 2 players) A:heart:
BB bets 3 BB, Hero raises to 8 BB, BB calls 5 BB

River: (23.5 BB, 2 players) 3:diamond:
BB bets 10 BB, Hero calls 10 BB

BB shows J:spade: 3:club: (Three of a Kind, Threes)
(Pre 33%, Flop 19%, Turn 11%)
Hero mucks Q:club: T:spade: (Two Pair, Tens and Threes)
(Pre 67%, Flop 81%, Turn 89%)
BB wins 43.5 BB

Thanks in advance! Really learning a lot these days from the forum.

T

TCashMoney19

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lot of problems with the way this hand was played imo.

Preflop: Easy fold UTG with QTo, you're opening too many hands if you're opening this from UTG. Also, never limp UTG as it makes the hand even harder to play than it already is. Lots of mistakes here pre, I would look into some preflop hand charts to help you determine which hands you should be opening from certain positions and also opening to 2.2-3x the big blind with your entire range.

Flop: Easy call here, you might even consider raising for value against certain opponents and protecting your equity in a freeroll. As played, I prefer a raise, as nobody should really have a super strong hand on this board...but in freerolls you never know, so a flat is fine too imo.

Turn: Why in the world are we raising? For value? As a bluff? I would have much rather seen a raise on the flop, but on the turn it's a simple call and nothing more when the flush completes and an over card comes. Against decent players, we are folding out all of their bluffs and only getting better hands to continue when we raise here. Not a good play in the long run, should definetly just be a call.

River: Facing a half pot lead after you raise the turn, I don't really see many hands that you beat unless he's blocker betting with a worse 10. However, seeing as BB led flop, led turn and called a raise, and then led river, it seems that he's just not a good player and could have a lot of random trash that warrants a call on the river. However, when you raised the turn, you put yourself in a weird situation by bloating the pot and now you really don't have much of an idea where you stand in the hand. As played, I think it's best to fold because you're only beating a very few select combination of hands.

This is why I prefer just to call down or raise flop, instead of raising turn on that card. Especially against the wide range of the BB. Lots of things to learn here though:

1) Tighten up your opening range UTG and look up some preflop charts from Upswing poker or something like that. And do not limp, ever, as you're just bleeding chips in the long run.
2) Only raise when we're going to get a lot of worse hands to call or better hands to fold. Your raise on the turn in the long run will produce neither of these results, even though in this particular instance you did, because big blind is obviously a bad player as well. Just call the turn and evaluate river.

Hope this analysis helps. Let me know if you have any further questions, but if anything look up some preflop opening charts!

rari458

rari458

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you very much, extremely informative analysis!

I'll look up some opening charts for sure.

Again, your evaluation is much appreciated.