$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Call or fold an all in situation!? CC Freeroll

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This hand happened in a CC freeroll last night, there was a bit of discussion about what the hero should have done after the hand was over. I believe that this hand is worth mentioning, as it could be a great way of working out calling ranges and shoving ranges in MTTs.

It is a very late stage of the tournament, ITM, around 12-13 people left, pay jumps are not that significant yet.
Biggest stack at the table is at 21 BB (also the chip leader at the moment if I recall corectly), Hero is at 14BB while villain has a stack of 13BB,
Action is folded to villain in MP who shoves. Everyone folded to Hero who is in the BU position and holds KQs.
It is a stage of the tournament where it is pretty much a shove or a fold, there aren't too many flops to be seen, so not much can be said about what exactly can Villain shove with here.
Question is, what is Hero's decision and most importantly, why?

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I assume hero to see here mostly Ax shove or pair type hand vs this range we are underdog. imo. Vs any pair and Ax on preflop (hero: 43% Villain: 57%).

Galmedic

Galmedic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove with anything connected or suited as long as your stack is bigger

F

formertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
looking at an analysis I fold, in the heat of the moment I probably play it and go out in 13th.

I think the calling range should be premium here, there's no reason to rush.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its very close but I think you should lean towards a fold. It is better to shove KQ than call. Villains range is mostly Ax and pairs which KQ doesn't do well against. Is villain ever shoving KJ or QJ - very rarely I think.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it was Button jam and hero was in BB with KQs it is a call though.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just ran it through Snap Shove and if villain is shoving correctly than KJs+ is a call on the button. However villain may be playing tighter than correct push/fold.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
ok, so we don't know how much is the pot, I will try to calculate. I assume ante is 0.1bb, so we have 0.6+0.5+1=2.1bb so with villain pushing 13bb we have pot of 15.1bb. So we need to call 13bb to win pot of 28.1bb, thus we need 46% direct equity. Since small blind and big blind can occasionally wake up with a strong hand, we should add 5%, so we need 51%. According to my pushfold chart, villain should push 20% of his range. 22+, A9o+, A2s+, KJo+, K9s+, QJo, Q9s+, J8s+, T8s+, 98s. KQ has 46% against this range, it's not enough to call. Fold.

wc2hell

wc2hell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, in my opinion it's less risky shove than call with these cards. But this is your decision, you had the informations about the vilain, how much it was opening hands was very important to know.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree, in my opinion it's less risky shove than call with these cards. But this is your decision, you had the informations about the vilain, how much it was opening hands was very important to know.

Exactly!
In this particular hand I was the villain actually, and of course shoved with a pocket pair. We were discussing afterwards how this hand is pretty but just plays bad into villain's shoving range. You are either flipping against pocket pairs or dominated by Ax especially AQ and AK which are a huge part of villain's shoving range.
The very next hand, I was the one dealt KQo on the BB, the player on the SB shoved, I insta folded and the SB showed, drum roll, KQo :D
We were saying how that is a perfect way to see how KQ should be played in later stages. Shove with them if action is folded to you, fold if someone else shoved before you.

Folding in Poker