$Freeroll NLHE MTT: AQo plays Itself or punt?

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not really sure what to do in this spot, I thought it was a squeeze from the blinds so I may be well ahead of his range but it also may have just been a punt. 18 left in the field, next ladder is 15.

Your thoughts are much appreciated

PokerStars - 600/1200 Ante 125 NL - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: 28.19 BB (VPIP: 12.50, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: -, hands: 8)
Hero (MP): 13.06 BB
CO: 10.96 BB (VPIP: 12.75, PFR: 6.12, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 104)
BTN: 9.98 BB (VPIP: 14.97, PFR: 8.97, 3Bet Preflop: 2.63, Hands: 153)
SB: 21.94 BB (VPIP: 21.67, PFR: 14.53, 3Bet Preflop: 6.90, Hands: 123)
BB: 13.03 BB (VPIP: 20.83, PFR: 12.50, 3Bet Preflop: 16.67, Hands: 26)

6 players post ante of 0.1 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.12 BB) Hero has A:club: Q:spade:

fold, Hero raises to 2.29 BB, fold, fold, SB raises to 4 BB, fold, Hero raises to 12.96 BB and is all-in, SB calls 8.96 BB

Flop: (27.54 BB, 2 players) Q:club: 7:heart: K:diamond:

Turn: (27.54 BB, 2 players) 9:spade:

River: (27.54 BB, 2 players) 4:club:

SB shows A:spade: A:heart: (One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 93%, Flop 91%, Turn 95%)
Hero shows A:club: Q:spade: (One Pair, Queens)
(Pre 7%, Flop 9%, Turn 5%)
SB wins 27.54 BB

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just shove pre or if there are few very short stacks, you may consider folding to the money

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just a cooler. With 13 BB and AQ we have to be all in here. Just shove pre.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with Quant and SirYivx.

While there are exceptions to this, it's a pretty good guideline to only shove or fold with under a 15bb stack. So here your two options initially would be to shove or fold, and AQo is definitely a profitable shove.

Once you've min-raised, you're right to be a little concerned when the small blind 3-bets that small because it looks like he really wants action. But I would still get it in without a strong read because of how short you are.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
keep it simple and shove preflop.

anything that calls and beats you is simply a cooler. we can't avoid all the coolers in poker.

good luck next time!

S

sirrupetot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing u can do ..just shove preflop.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
AQ in middle position - check
Big stack sitting on SB - check

Why would SB with a big stack want to squeeze at this point? Especially when he sees you put in about 1/4 of your stack in already. He knows you're going to jam. Count how many times you get premium connectors like AQ in MP and how often you win with them in this kind of situation. Intuition says jam, experience says pass.

zekubiki

zekubiki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in general, played all well, in this stack - it's a push. not lucky coin.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ignoring data.

Not really sure what to do in this spot, I thought it was a squeeze from the blinds so I may be well ahead of his range but it also may have just been a punt. 18 left in the field, next ladder is 15.

Your thoughts are much appreciated

PokerStars - 600/1200 Ante 125 NL - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: 28.19 BB (VPIP: 12.50, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 8)
Hero (MP): 13.06 BB
CO: 10.96 BB (VPIP: 12.75, PFR: 6.12, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 104)
BTN: 9.98 BB (VPIP: 14.97, PFR: 8.97, 3Bet Preflop: 2.63, Hands: 153)
SB: 21.94 BB (VPIP: 21.67, PFR: 14.53, 3Bet Preflop: 6.90, Hands: 123)
BB: 13.03 BB (VPIP: 20.83, PFR: 12.50, 3Bet Preflop: 16.67, Hands: 26)

6 players post ante of 0.1 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.12 BB) Hero has A Q

fold, Hero raises to 2.29 BB, fold, fold, SB raises to 4 BB, fold, Hero raises to 12.96 BB and is all-in, SB calls 8.96 BB

Flop: (27.54 BB, 2 players) Q 7 K

Turn: (27.54 BB, 2 players) 9

River: (27.54 BB, 2 players) 4

SB shows A A (One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 93%, Flop 91%, Turn 95%)
Hero shows A Q (One Pair, Queens)
(Pre 7%, Flop 9%, Turn 5%)
SB wins 27.54 BB

Thanks for posting.

The advice you are getting is from the multi-tablers. If you are playing 20 tables you shove pre and move on. Why? Because you do not have time to think about what a min reraise from SB actually means.

You actions were fine, if you are then going to use the data given to you by the SB to evaluate your next action. If you are going to ignore SB data then just shove pre.

Another poster states from experience that the SB action was a shove inducer. That poster was correct. 99 times out of 100 that is what that action will be. How do we know this? We take the time to evaluate our villains strange action.

So what range tries to induce a shove? AA KK AK QQ
What other range would pot build in a tournament vs an early raiser with 10BB behind.
Surely the villain does not expect us to fold?
Since 95% of cardschat members are shoving over that raise why would villain not expect you to?

How do we do versus a shove inducing min 3 bet range? Is it just get it in you have a big hand. Can we actually make a read and make a fold that most players would not even consider.

NL is about properly ranging villains. Why ignore data unless you have no time to think?

Hope this helps

:):)

B

Brawo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have 13BB, pot is 2BB, your Mfactor is only ~ 6,5
One right move is here, all - in preflop, but in this spot it doesn't change anything, SB never fold here, but for the future, if you bet with M = 6 it is pot commit and players who knows how to play in poker will notice it and enter into pot only with playable hands and often better than your range.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for posting.

The advice you are getting is from the multi-tablers. If you are playing 20 tables you shove pre and move on. Why? Because you do not have time to think about what a min reraise from SB actually means.

You actions were fine, if you are then going to use the data given to you by the SB to evaluate your next action. If you are going to ignore SB data then just shove pre.

Another poster states from experience that the SB action was a shove inducer. That poster was correct. 99 times out of 100 that is what that action will be. How do we know this? We take the time to evaluate our villains strange action.

So what range tries to induce a shove? AA KK AK QQ
What other range would pot build in a tournament vs an early raiser with 10BB behind.
Surely the villain does not expect us to fold?
Since 95% of cardschat members are shoving over that raise why would villain not expect you to?

How do we do versus a shove inducing min 3 bet range? Is it just get it in you have a big hand. Can we actually make a read and make a fold that most players would not even consider.

NL is about properly ranging villains. Why ignore data unless you have no time to think?

Hope this helps

:):)

not really true about "the advice comes from multitablers with no time to think"

I mostly play live and I've got lots of time and I'm open shoving preflop here 100% of the time. not 99%. 100%

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Open shoving is common

not really true about "the advice comes from multitablers with no time to think"

I mostly play live and I've got lots of time and I'm open shoving preflop here 100% of the time. not 99%. 100%

You are right many player just open shove and do not put themselves into a spot where they have to think about a villain's actions after making a 2.5bb open. Of course you are taking the time to think about all possibilities and choosing to shove AQ vs the majority of villain's this is the best line.

The origins of that play come from multi-tabling online beasts who standardized it because their time was better spent on other hands. AQ shove 13 bb open is not a very big mistake if a mistake at all.

I was referring to the players, not you, who stated just shove after taking the 2.5 bb line. You stated you would just shove open not the same. I stated that was the best play if you plan on getting it all in anyway.

When villains give us reliable data we can make big folds. We have to take the time to think about how true that data is. Just shoving the AQ vs such an out of line action by this villain is ignoring the data.

Have a great day. :):)

S

skeptix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shoving pre is fine, playing as you did is fine as well. The point is we're not folding AQo with 13bbs.

Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get caught with AQ right there a lot. You look at the guy when he reraises he is betting preflop alot and you look like bait to him. He just might be trying to push you around, but he had the nuts when you 4-bet allin.

Nothing I can really say constructive, you had to commit most of your chips late and had to take the chance given your cards.