$Freeroll NLHE MTT: ACR Freeroll - folding AQo pre too tight?

S

steelhamster

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Everyone,
I'm in middle-position with AQo, and I raise to 2x during a level 2 of an ACR free roll, button calls and SB shoves. I fold.

My reasoning was:

Two players fold to me and I min-raise - this is my standard open in a tournament for pot-sizing reasons. When the button calls he is saying "my hand is good enough to beat about half of your range, I'm putting you on suited broadway, pairs, probably down to ATo". When small blind shoves, he has another player being him (although at the time that player showed as disconnected). I see the shove as two possible options: a squeeze play, which wouldn't make sense early on from massive stacks or a premium holding.

Not to be results orientated, but I'm questioning my fold here. Anyone have any thoughts?

I've put the hand history in the spoiler tag because this is a preflop question and I really don't want to be results orientated.

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - 15/30 NL - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (MP): 50 BB
MP+1: 50 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 1)
CO: 146.5 BB (VPIP: 100.00, PFR: 100.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 2)
BTN: 58 BB (VPIP: 2.56, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 39)
SB: 45.5 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 2)
BB: 50 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 2)
UTG: 50 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 2)
UTG+1: 50 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 4)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q:heart: A:club:

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2 BB, fold, fold, BTN calls 2 BB, SB raises to 45.5 BB and is all-in, fold, fold, BTN calls 43.5 BB

Flop: (94 BB, 2 players) A:spade: 3:club: 5:diamond:

Turn: (94 BB, 2 players) 4:spade:

River: (94 BB, 2 players) 6:diamond:

BTN shows Q:club: A:heart: (One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 59%, Flop 97%, Turn 95%)
SB shows T:club: J:heart: (High Card, Ace)
(Pre 41%, Flop 3%, Turn 5%)
BTN wins 94 BB

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In ACR freerolls, AQ is usually good enough to go all-in during the beginning just to try and get your stack good.

U

ucdengboss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate calling it off with AQ for over 40 BBs pre. In free rolls you are in against the crazy raiser and likely called again by the calling station behind you... you are being squeezed and it sucks. I would lay it down. Too often you will see 99+ and AK IMO. Probably not AA though... Too big of a shove.

Any reads would be very helpful. If the SB was shoving really wide that may be key to know.

S

steelhamster

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was new to the table and had no good reads on anyone. I figured fold and wait for an easier decision was a valid strategy.

Folding in Poker