S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 29/10/6

5-players to the flop, Villain in the SB donks the flop with a pot-sized bet, BB calls. What should Hero do?

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - 15/30 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 85.07 BB (VPIP: 45.28, PFR: 29.30, 3Bet Preflop: 6.98, hands: 161)
MP+1: 81.33 BB (VPIP: 37.50, PFR: 12.50, 3Bet Preflop: 25.00, Hands: 8)
MP+2: 79.6 BB (VPIP: 36.36, PFR: 6.30, 3Bet Preflop: 8.89, Hands: 145)
CO: 80.33 BB (VPIP: 16.33, PFR: 9.38, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 99)
BTN: 74.07 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)
SB: 208.63 BB (VPIP: 29.32, PFR: 10.26, 3Bet Preflop: 5.88, Hands: 133)
BB: 187.83 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)
UTG: 116.83 BB (VPIP: 36.23, PFR: 18.66, 3Bet Preflop: 2.56, Hands: 141)
Hero (UTG+1): 83.33 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A A

fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, CO calls 3 BB, BTN calls 3 BB, SB calls 2.5 BB, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (15 BB, 5 players) Q 9 5
SB bets 15 BB, BB calls 15 BB, WHAT ACTION SHOULD HERO TAKE?

G

guitaRisGood

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you're in a pot where just about anything can be going on.
Preflop just call with AA? silly.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you're in a pot where just about anything can be going on.
Preflop just call with AA? silly.
I did not just call pre-flop. I was first to enter, open raised for 3x the big blind. I then got 4 callers. (CO/BUT/SB/BB).

SB makes a pot-sized bet instantly on the flop. BB calls. My turn to act, what should I do?

catchitfool

catchitfool

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
id want to push the flop no matter how many fools in the hand. i hope i have outs

Ahoy

Ahoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you can raise/fold. If you get called and the turn is a brick /ie a card that doesnt complete any straight or flush draw/ you can shove turn. Dont be afraid of big sizings in freerolls. Play aggressively. that being said you can be beat here but I cant see much made hands that beat you atm except some awkward Q9suited twopair combinations.

Edit: actually it being a freeroll you can just raise/call a shove

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with the stats on SB, your minraise is very small. SB would likely also call a 3.5BB raise.
On the flop, either fold/call or raise, depending your strategy.
As already said freerolls are (very) agressive, shove is common and often gives you the pot, at a risk of going bust. Most conservative is fold, more logical is call (or even raise) and hope the Q9s does not evolve into a flush or straight.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dont be afraid of big sizings in freerolls. Play aggressively. that being said you can be beat here but I cant see much made hands that beat you atm except some awkward Q9suited twopair combinations.
AHOY, thank you for taking time to post your thinking and teachings on this hand.

I don't like putting opponents on exact hands, but I also felt Q9 was very possible in this scenario. I am not afraid of a set of Queens or AQ because I think they get raised pre-flop. 4 opponents flatting preflop it seems very possible that 2 pair (or better) could have hit the flop, but there are a lot of draws in the mix as well.

I ended up folding on the flop. As the hand played out I think the SB hit something on the flop (maybe the Q9?) though he had a strange small bet sizings on the turn/river that might indicate air or a monster. I think the BB was on a draw. I *might* have folded the best hand, but it was clear the SB wanted to play for stacks by his donk bet.

I guess for me there are two things on this hand
  1. AA is only the best hand pre-flop! :D
  2. It is impossible to WIN a tournament in the first level of play, but very easy to LOSE one.
Here is how the hand played out...
Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A A

fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, CO calls 3 BB, BTN calls 3 BB, SB calls 2.5 BB, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (15 BB, 5 players) Q 9 5
SB bets 15 BB, BB calls 15 BB, fold, fold, BTN calls 15 BB

Turn: (60 BB, 3 players) 6
SB bets 15 BB, BB calls 15 BB, BTN calls 15 BB

River: (105 BB, 3 players) 5
SB bets 11 BB, fold, fold

SB wins 105 BB

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with the stats on SB, your minraise is very small. SB would likely also call a 3.5BB raise.
Thank you for your analysis.

Can you type a little bit more about my raise sizing (3x the big blind) pre-flop? Do you change your sizing based on the VPIP stat you have on the SB/BB?

F

formertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would push because it's a free roll and you'll have people who hit 3 of a suit or three to a straight who call haha. but in a real tournament i would in this put out a bet of pot so that anyone who is chasing will have to lay odds to do it.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for your analysis.

Can you type a little bit more about my raise sizing (3x the big blind) pre-flop? Do you change your sizing based on the VPIP stat you have on the SB/BB?
SB plays quite loose and has a stack 2.5 times yours.
With AA you want to eliminate all but 1 opponent preflop.
SB is very likely to call many hands, so you 3BB raise is too small.
Proven by two callers.
SB may even have called you if you would have gone all-in.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
SB plays quite loose and has a stack 2.5 times yours.
With AA you want to eliminate all but 1 opponent preflop.
SB is very likely to call many hands, so you 3BB raise is too small.
Proven by two callers.
SB may even have called you if you would have gone all-in.
Thank you. I really appreciate the explanation. The next time I have loose players behind (especially in early position) I will for sure consider increasing my open-raise size (maybe even up to all-in) to get fewer callers, but hopefully also get a chance to double through a bigger stack!

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm with the All-In crowd. SB pretty aggressive and the flat cal likely on draw or AQish hand. Sets unlikely and even if SB has Q9 IF- got outs. A stack early in an aggressive freeroll is HUGE!

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Q9s is possible but so are a whole host of Qx hands. This is a freeroll so we can't expect a super high standard of play. And just look at the board - it's wet as can be. It is VERY common for weaker opponents to be terrified of such a board texture with a top pair type hand. And the flop caller can basically never have us beat because again on such a wet board, raising two pair or a set here is far and away the most likely response from that player.

If it was me I'd almost certainly be raising with the intention of getting it in, and possibly even just jamming myself.