Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG +2 (38bb) min raise to 2bb

UTG +3 (75bb) hero min raise to 4bb

SB (141bb) calls 4bb

UTG +2 4bet shoves 38bb

Hero and SB fold

Was this the right lay down? Or are we gambling half our stack with JJ?

W

wizcup

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was he doing that often with wide range? If yes, you might profit to call.

If not, just fold.

Shouldn't min. raise as it made him sense you don't have strong hand and prone to be bluffed. Either call or raise normally in preflop. If you raise normally and he 4 bet, fold.

You don't want to risk with only pocket Jack or probably should never risk half of your stack on preflop.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on, who the Villain is. If he is a nit, JJ is an easy fold. If he is a maniac, JJ is an easy call. Also agree with wizcup, that your 3-bet should be larger. This little cute massage bet is giving him odds to call with any hand, that was good enough to open, and its easy for other players to enter the pot as well. I would typically 3-bet to 7BB against a mini-raise. And I am always 3-betting here. I dont want to just call and create a multiway pot or get squeezed from someone behind.

B

Brawo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is not good answear. You have to tell us much more about the hand. I don't even know what is your position at the table. Do you use HUD during play? If yes, copy a text of this hand - not only in this tread because I saw you made the same mistake in previous posts - If not install please or use cardschat replayer. You sould give us basic description of your opponents - HUD stats or your thoughts. Good luck next time.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With this re-raise, I fold JJ in tournaments and cash games. Very often this pair loses. The opponent has in his hands the top pair for anyone. An adequate dirt player will not force the game.

W

wizcup

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is not good answear. You have to tell us much more about the hand. I don't even know what is your position at the table. Do you use HUD during play? If yes, copy a text of this hand - not only in this tread because I saw you made the same mistake in previous posts - If not install please or use cardschat replayer. You sould give us basic description of your opponents - HUD stats or your thoughts. Good luck next time.

He said hero was UTG+3. Any further insight?

Out of topic, what HUD do you use in pokerstars? I am still considered myself as newb on online poker, so I'd like to try some.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with others that your raise is too small. Min raise 3 betting is never a good idea in my opinion. Your raise should be a more standard 5.5-7 BB size. As far as the calling of the jam is concerned it is a tough spot but I would have further questions before I could really answer and those questions would stem around table dynamics. I bring this up because when I look at this the first thing I think of is that he thinks you are weak with the min raise and knows the SB is weak with only a call to your bet. Had you been doing this often with a min bet and did you showdown any hands after doing it? I am thinking (with no empirical proof) that villain is doing this since he thinks your weak. If that is the case you can call, however, I am not in love with it. In the end it is probably better to just fold here unless you really think he is capable of doing this with A9 type hands or you know from past hands he is not giving your hand strength enough credit.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

Your 3bet size is not right, you give good odds to the table to call and your hand will be very difficult to play against multiple opponents and more likely out of position if this is a full ring.
Now after sb's call and utg's shove I don't mind to fold JJ here, unless utg is a maniac style capable to do that often with a wide range. The best scenario is that he's doing that with a lower pair than JJ, probably 1010 or 99 if that's the case (I don't think 88 or lower are very possible). Else you are either flipping or being destroyed.
I would fold here too.

Last edited:
sergik1992

sergik1992

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
UTG +2 (38bb) min raise to 2bb

UTG +3 (75bb) hero min raise to 4bb

SB (141bb) calls 4bb

UTG +2 4bet shoves 38bb

Hero and SB fold

Was this the right lay down? Or are we gambling half our stack with JJ?

vs random opponent I will call 40 bb and fold 50 bb +

Folding in Poker