My first tournament cards 25 + requirements

PosFlopALLIN

PosFlopALLIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my first tournament i'm all happy thinking now it will be good to play with stronger players who know the game ... hahahahaha. I was wondering if I played this hand wrong? disappointing ...

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - 10/20 - 9 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

bluffzone68 (UTG): 3,030 (152 bb)
Minsk Pavel (UTG+1): 3,000 (150 bb)
chunchuno (MP): 3,000 (150 bb)
Picur5668 (MP+1): 3,175 (159 bb)
yosif (LP): 2,815 (141 bb)
PosFlopALLIN (CO): 2,950 (148 bb)
Dejange (BU): 2,970 (149 bb)
StateDeParis (SB): 3,060 (153 bb)
biglier666 (BB): 3,000 (150 bb)

Pre-Flop: (30) Hero (PosFlopALLIN) is CO with K A
3 players fold, Picur5668 (MP+1) calls 20, yosif (LP) raises to 40, PosFlopALLIN (CO) 3-bets to 180, 3 players fold, Picur5668 (MP+1) calls 160, yosif (LP) calls 140

Flop: (570) 7 6 4 (3 players)
Picur5668 (MP+1) bets 60, yosif (LP) folds, PosFlopALLIN (CO) raises to 840, Picur5668 (MP+1) calls 780

Turn: (2,250) 9 (2 players)
Picur5668 (MP+1) checks, PosFlopALLIN (CO) bets 1,930 (all-in), Picur5668 (MP+1) calls 1,930

River: (6,110) K (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: 6,110

Showdown:
PosFlopALLIN (CO) shows K A (a pair of Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 76%, Flop: 47%, Turn: 27%, River: 0%)

Picur5668 (MP+1) shows K 7 (two pair, Kings and Sevens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 24%, Flop: 53%, Turn: 73%, River: 100%)

Picur5668 (MP+1) wins 6,110

Last edited by a moderator:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You dont have to bet so large, and it is also an option to check back the turn, if the opponent is a calling station. Which he probably is, since he limped into the pot and then called a 3-bet out of position.

PosFlopALLIN

PosFlopALLIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You dont have to bet so large, and it is also an option to check back the turn, if the opponent is a calling station. Which he probably is, since he limped into the pot and then called a 3-bet out of position.

yes you paid two 3-bets

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my first tournament i'm all happy thinking now it will be good to play with stronger players who know the game ... hahahahaha. I was wondering if I played this hand wrong? disappointing ...

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - 10/20 - 9 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

bluffzone68 (UTG): 3,030 (152 bb)
Minsk Pavel (UTG+1): 3,000 (150 bb)
chunchuno (MP): 3,000 (150 bb)
Picur5668 (MP+1): 3,175 (159 bb)
yosif (LP): 2,815 (141 bb)
PosFlopALLIN (CO): 2,950 (148 bb)
Dejange (BU): 2,970 (149 bb)
StateDeParis (SB): 3,060 (153 bb)
biglier666 (BB): 3,000 (150 bb)

Pre-Flop: (30) Hero (PosFlopALLIN) is CO with K A
3 players fold, Picur5668 (MP+1) calls 20, yosif (LP) raises to 40, PosFlopALLIN (CO) 3-bets to 180, 3 players fold, Picur5668 (MP+1) calls 160, yosif (LP) calls 140

Flop: (570) 7 6 4 (3 players)
Picur5668 (MP+1) bets 60, yosif (LP) folds, PosFlopALLIN (CO) raises to 840, Picur5668 (MP+1) calls 780

Turn: (2,250) 9 (2 players)
Picur5668 (MP+1) checks, PosFlopALLIN (CO) bets 1,930 (all-in), Picur5668 (MP+1) calls 1,930

River: (6,110) K (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: 6,110

Showdown:
PosFlopALLIN (CO) shows K A (a pair of Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 76%, Flop: 47%, Turn: 27%, River: 0%)

Picur5668 (MP+1) shows K 7 (two pair, Kings and Sevens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 24%, Flop: 53%, Turn: 73%, River: 100%)

Picur5668 (MP+1) wins 6,110

Thank U 4 Posting.

Congrats on playing your first with us and I hope you enjoy playing more and keep posting so we all can grow together.

I am watching the replayer one street at a time.

So I paused after your preflop raise.

So did you put the min raiser on a range of hands?
If not, then it is good practice to do that now. You can share it or just do it for yourself.

When you raise what do you expect all the other live players to do?

What is your plan if the min raiser 4 bets?

What is your plan post flop if you get multiple calls?

I will now watch more.

Limper calls- MinR calls.

I pause the replay.

What range do they give you?

What range do you give the limper?

Would the over call change the MinR's range?

What flop do you want to see?
What flop do you not want to see?

Will these players fold second pair hands on the flop if you Cbet bluff based on what your range should be?
For instance J 8 4 rainbow will 87 fold flop? What about 22 etc?

Now for the flop

7h6s4h

I pause the replay

Your first thought should be what?

It could be what part of my villains' range did this hit?
How often would they have that range in this spot?

This is another great opportunity to review Vs' possible ranges

So now you can work on your hands equity vs Vs' ranges.

EG
V has a set
V's equity is 73%

V has 9s8s
V's equity is 30%

What is V's equity if they have 9s9h?

Is that hand in your Vs' ranges?

If checked to what is your best action?

What if someone leads into you?

What range would lead?

Restart replay

Limper leads min. MinR folds.

I pause replay.
So you thought you would be playing vs skilled players. If you are what would a skilled player be leading min with after having open limped and then called your 3 bet, with a player live left to act behind them?

What would a less skilled player be hoping for by leading in this pot?
With less skilled players we cannot just assume one thing.
A less skilled player might think they should lead sets and straights as well as 87 or 97 for this sizing. Even Jh10h might try to slow us down by betting this size.

What would a good player expect you to do if you had AA KK on this lead out?

Wow this is getting long. I guess I should just watch the rest and summarize.

I think if you do the ranging exercises I suggested you may feel you would play this hand differently.

By the way the cardschat equity calculator is a very helpful tool.

Ks7c has 52% equity on that flop.

As a side note if we have a skill advantage we need not play flips vs weaker players.

Hope this helps
:):)

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The preflop raise is HUGE and screams out the hand strength of a holding just like yours. Even with the limp in front I think I go 140 or 160 - that being said I think it's a small error ‐ you get two callers and go to the flop.

This is where the mistakes start for me... the flop is 764 with two hearts - the hearts are great for us BUT the board texture is terrible for us especially vs two opponents. This smashes alot of limp-call holdings the villans could have - while we have good equity with two overs and a flush draw here - we are still behind alot of the time to hands that just aren't folding. That being said when we raise here, we are only getting called by hands that are beating us. If the board was less coordinated with 2 hearts I would like the raise here but not on this texture.

So for me this is where all of the "free content" and the whole "raise your best draws and your worst draws" go out the window. I'm just not into value towning myself vs these boards anymore. I simply just call flop - the board is super coordinated and when we raise and get called we are faced with awkward spots on the turn when we do not improve - so I avoid this altogether and just call. If they bet turn, I call turn as well and I call river. No point in raising any street whatsoever. We still lose then hand but likely still have chips so our tournament is not over in this instance.

As played I would check back turn after my flop raise gets called and then call down river if they bet and if they check to me I would bet river and go broke if it were to come to that.

I hope this advice makes some sort of sense to you. Hope it helps, good luck in your games.

PosFlopALLIN

PosFlopALLIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank U 4 Posting.

Congrats on playing your first with us and I hope you enjoy playing more and keep posting so we all can grow together.

I am watching the replayer one street at a time.

So I paused after your preflop raise.

So did you put the min raiser on a range of hands?
If not, then it is good practice to do that now. You can share it or just do it for yourself.

When you raise what do you expect all the other live players to do?

What is your plan if the min raiser 4 bets?

What is your plan post flop if you get multiple calls?

I will now watch more.

Limper calls- MinR calls.

I pause the replay.

What range do they give you?

What range do you give the limper?

Would the over call change the MinR's range?

What flop do you want to see?
What flop do you not want to see?

Will these players fold second pair hands on the flop if you Cbet bluff based on what your range should be?
For instance J 8 4 rainbow will 87 fold flop? What about 22 etc?

Now for the flop

7h6s4h

I pause the replay

Your first thought should be what?

It could be what part of my villains' range did this hit?
How often would they have that range in this spot?

This is another great opportunity to review Vs' possible ranges

So now you can work on your hands equity vs Vs' ranges.

EG
V has a set
V's equity is 73%

V has 9s8s
V's equity is 30%

What is V's equity if they have 9s9h?

Is that hand in your Vs' ranges?

If checked to what is your best action?

What if someone leads into you?

What range would lead?

Restart replay

Limper leads min. MinR folds.

I pause replay.
So you thought you would be playing vs skilled players. If you are what would a skilled player be leading min with after having open limped and then called your 3 bet, with a player live left to act behind them?

What would a less skilled player be hoping for by leading in this pot?
With less skilled players we cannot just assume one thing.
A less skilled player might think they should lead sets and straights as well as 87 or 97 for this sizing. Even Jh10h might try to slow us down by betting this size.

What would a good player expect you to do if you had AA KK on this lead out?

Wow this is getting long. I guess I should just watch the rest and summarize.

I think if you do the ranging exercises I suggested you may feel you would play this hand differently.

By the way the cardschat equity calculator is a very helpful tool.

Ks7c has 52% equity on that flop.

As a side note if we have a skill advantage we need not play flips vs weaker players.

Hope this helps
:):)
too much I’m going to spend some time absorbing these questions .... They are very good questions to ask and also very accurate ... I’ll read better and give you a break now on the weekend that I have time, But I’ve seen your analysis It will help me a lot! I'm sorry for the delay in responding is that I'm facing some problems ... but I think that until mid-March I resolve ...

PosFlopALLIN

PosFlopALLIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The preflop raise is HUGE and screams out the hand strength of a holding just like yours. Even with the limp in front I think I go 140 or 160 - that being said I think it's a small error ‐ you get two callers and go to the flop.

This is where the mistakes start for me... the flop is 764 with two hearts - the hearts are great for us BUT the board texture is terrible for us especially vs two opponents. This smashes alot of limp-call holdings the villans could have - while we have good equity with two overs and a flush draw here - we are still behind alot of the time to hands that just aren't folding. That being said when we raise here, we are only getting called by hands that are beating us. If the board was less coordinated with 2 hearts I would like the raise here but not on this texture.

So for me this is where all of the "free content" and the whole "raise your best draws and your worst draws" go out the window. I'm just not into value towning myself vs these boards anymore. I simply just call flop - the board is super coordinated and when we raise and get called we are faced with awkward spots on the turn when we do not improve - so I avoid this altogether and just call. If they bet turn, I call turn as well and I call river. No point in raising any street whatsoever. We still lose then hand but likely still have chips so our tournament is not over in this instance.

As played I would check back turn after my flop raise gets called and then call down river if they bet and if they check to me I would bet river and go broke if it were to come to that.

I hope this advice makes some sort of sense to you. Hope it helps, good luck in your games.

it made a lot of sense yes thanks perfect reading ... reviewing the hand now i realize the mistake on the turn too. Thanks!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I would agree, if we were facing a real bet like 50% of the pot. But Villain donked into us for 10% of the pot, which we should basically just ignore and go ahead and make our normal C-bet, if it is a situation, where we were planning to C-bet.

And I like to C-bet here. Its a C-bet for value, since a lot of worse draws can call, and unless Villain specifically flopped two pair or better, we are never in worse shape than 50% equity. Its also a C-bet to keep the betting lead and to build the pot, so we can win a lot of money later, if we improve to the nut flush. The issue though is Heros sizing. Hero overbet the pot. But we are not trying to fold out a better hand. We are betting for thin value, and therefore a size like 50% pot is enough.

And when he give action, we just check back on a brick turn like this. We lost equity against made hands now, and there is no point in trying to bluff someone, who limped into the pot and then called a 3-bet, because we know already, that player is a calling station. When Hero jammed the turn, he put Villain into a spot, where Villain is so often going to make this kind of hero call with a hand, which is now roughly a 3:1 favourite to win.

So make it like 400-450 on the flop, check back turn, check back river, lose a small pot and move on to the next hand. We dont have to pile all our chips into this pot as a bluff, but we also dont have to let the limper dictate the flop action by making this silly donk bet of 10% of the pot. I usually call it a "fish bet", because it is completely pointless.

jumaischi

jumaischi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya...you play this hand bad!but also I would do the same😅...both of us should know not to raise so big...and sometimes a check is good...

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played too aggressively. Good preflop cards do not mean that you will be ahead on the flop. A flush draw is not a ready- made combination. The best strategy here is a check-call.

B

bealpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there is no need to bet so bi on the flop plus you can check back turn and bet river if you hit your flush.

REMEMBER: you don't want to get in chips when youre behind, and in this instance you will always be drawin to a flush if he calls turn shove ~ 16/20% equity at most.