First hand of tourney what more can I do.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
First of all excuse me for the title of this thread, I don't post in here much because the lingo and the way you guys want titles is a bit beyond me, I just play I don't worry to much about the odds and all that stuff you guys get into, IMO I just know when to play or fold from experience.

This was the first hand of the tourney and I hate going all in so early in a tourney but apart from going all in on the flop what more could I do, how differently could I have played this hand, surely I indicated to villain that I wasn't worried about the A on the board, and imo if he had the str8 on the flop he would have re raised. (BTW his poker stars name is Maudk)

Stacks:
* BTN with 1500
* SB with 1500
* BB with 1500
* UTG with 1500
* UTG+1 with 1500
* MP1 with 1500
* MP2 with 1500
* MP3 with 1500
* CO with 1500

hand.pl

hand.pl

Blinds: 10/20
Site: pokerstars
* * Dealt to SB:Q♦ Q♠
* * Sklansky group 1
Preflop:
* * UTG calls [20]
* * UTG+1 calls [20]
* * 1 players fold.
* * MP2 calls [20]
* * 3 players fold.
* * Hero raises 220 to 240
* * 2 players fold.
* * UTG+1 calls [220]
* * MP2 calls [220]
* * Total folds this street: 6
* * Potsize: 760
Flop:
* * A♥ Q♣ J♠
* * Hero bets [540]
* * UTG+1 calls [540]
* * 1 players folded.
* * Total folds this street: 1
* * Potsize: 1840
Turn:
* * 5♠
* * 1 players fold.
* * Hero bets [720] [ all-in ]
* * UTG+1 calls [720] [ all-in ]
* * Potsize: 3280
River:
* * 10♠
Results:
* * Hero shows three of a kind, Queens:
* * Q♦ Q♠
* * UTG+1 shows a straight, Ten to Ace:
* * A♦ K♥
* * UTG+1 collected 3280 from pot

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

Last edited:
ythelongface

ythelongface

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
looks to me like he had sticky fingers, and could not see past what he had in his hand. it would appear that he did not even conisder what you had, he jus new he needed a 10 and thats about as deep as he thought. or he is just a flat out moron.

RickH2005

RickH2005

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow!

looks to me like he had sticky fingers, and could not see past what he had in his hand. it would appear that he did not even conisder what you had, he jus new he needed a 10 and thats about as deep as he thought. or he is just a flat out moron.
:dito: What HE said! I mean, GEEZ! I dunno! I think UTG would have called no matter WHAT you did Z! I don't know that he was a moron or not, but I DO believe he was, in all likely hood, a brand-new player who learned NLHE from watching TV---'cuz he certainly didn't do what real players would call 'the right move', even tho he DID have a pr of As AND the gut shot straight draw, maybe he was just unable to let go of those As, or he just 'felt lucky'--- That or he owns stock in PS!:eek: Anyway, he DID get lucky and I'm told that's a part of Poker!

Last edited:
Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I think your right he would have called no matter what, I saw the following hand and he had Kd 5d flop was 2h 2d 7c turn was Qc river was 8s he called all the way to showdown, only to give the gain he made from me to someone who had trip 2's.
The only thing I think I could have done better was to maybe go all in preflop, even then he most likely would have called, but I just dont like doing that.
What do you guys think about going all in pre flop on the first hand of a tourney, having no read on anyone of the opponents and risking your tourney life.

These were his odds for the hand I lost against him.

Preflop Odds:
Win/Lose/Tie%:
:qs4: :qd4:
56.55/43.03/0.42
:ad4: :kh4:
43.03/56.55/0.42

Flop Odds:
Win/Lose/Tie%:
84.24/14.55/1.21
14.55/84.24/1.21

Turn Odds:
Win/Lose/Tie%:
90.91/9.09/0.00
9.09/90.91/0.00

Last edited:
RickH2005

RickH2005

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre Flop Push.......

I think your right he would have called no matter what, I saw the following hand and he had Kd 5d flop was 2h 2d 7c turn was Qc river was 8s he called all the way to showdown, only to give the gain he made from me to someone who had trip 2's.
The only thing I think I could have done better was to maybe go all in preflop, even then he most likely would have called, but I just dont like doing that.
What do you guys think about going all in pre flop on the first hand of a tourney, having no read on anyone of the opponents.
That old word pops up---DEPENDS-FR? Buy-in?--At most FRs I see outside of CC FRs, Pushes all in are done on a regular basis--W/pkt Qs, I prolly MIGHT call as those that DO push all in 1st hand of 1st game got squat--But I prolly wouldn't initiate an all in push w/less than A-A inna pkt. Last week at the CC FR at Carbon I had pkt As--I pushed and won the hand (the rest folded) Then I got 'em again 4-5 hands later BUT slow played 'em 'cuz I got greedy and pushed post flop, but it was too late! Villain had 8-10 and flopped the straight! Had I pushed pre flop, I'd a got the win AGAIN! No way hed call w/8-10! So yer answer? It DEPENDS!:rolleyes:

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only analysis needed imo is a seven letter word: S-U-C-K-O-U-T.
Tuff luck mate, maby it isnt much comfort but you will win this in the long run :).
You played it well and he lucked out nothing u could have done.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
That old word pops up---DEPENDS-FR? Buy-in?--At most FRs I see outside of CC FRs, Pushes all in are done on a regular basis--W/pkt Qs, I prolly MIGHT call as those that DO push all in 1st hand of 1st game got squat--But I prolly wouldn't initiate an all in push w/less than A-A inna pkt. Last week at the CC FR at Carbon I had pkt As--I pushed and won the hand (the rest folded) Then I got 'em again 4-5 hands later BUT slow played 'em 'cuz I got greedy and pushed post flop, but it was too late! Villain had 8-10 and flopped the straight! Had I pushed pre flop, I'd a got the win AGAIN! No way hed call w/8-10! So yer answer? It DEPENDS!:rolleyes:
And I really hate it when they do it thats why I dont like doing it, it just shows lack of poker skills.
Got to love that majic word Depends......lol, thanks Rick.
Only analysis needed imo is a seven letter word: S-U-C-K-O-U-T.
Tuff luck mate, maby it isnt much comfort but you will win this in the long run :).
You played it well and he lucked out nothing u could have done.
lol, Thanks sindri your kind words help, what about that other 7 letter word R-E-S-P-E-C-T......respect of the bet being made.
I have come close a few times to winning these $1.10 and $3.30 MTT's having final tabled quite a few, best finish so far has been 4th in a $3.30 MTT.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
zorbs, I would have played it the same way, you flopped a set, you had to get your money in good.
u/l for outcome, but that river always hurts.

A

artsmith1296

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like your play. It's hard to lay down three queens even with a straight draw on the board. Sometimes you lose but nothing is a sure thing. Since they didn't raise/reraise pf you could discount AA.

T

TheHoag57

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You got your money in good, that's all you can do. That guy is welcome at my table if you don't want him at yours, LOL!

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Oh I want him there but without the suckout please.

***EDIT*** I just realised the the hand converter dosn't show what type of tourney it is it was a $3.30 MTT

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not much you can do other than throw up and note the guy will stack off with top pair...

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
TUFF luck,
I did the same thing but it was a freeroll CC on Ultimatebet.

i would even fold AK with that bet coming out pre flop.

Wow on them odds

C

CfPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why is this in the hand analysis forum? Unless you have some sort of read that puts him on AA/KT then you played this very well. Should be in the brags/bad beats forum tbh :)

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Why is this in the hand analysis forum? Unless you have some sort of read that puts him on AA/KT then you played this very well. Should be in the brags/bad beats forum tbh :)
I honestly wanted advise as to if I did something stupid or not, advise that I should have gone all in preflop or whether my post flop bet was too big and maybe made him think I was trying to buy it, I know very well about the B & BB forum but I honestly wanted advise as to how I could have played it any better, I was not after sympathy, that is why this hand is in this forum. As I see now from your comments and others I did the right thing, I was having douts as to whether I did do the right thing or not.

eagle jim

eagle jim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Zorba,
Don't think you could've pried him off that hand with a sledgehammer. Nothing you could've done. Don' think you to go aipf with QQ in that situation. Just a cooler imho. You want him to call with TPTK against your set. Long term +ev.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cant say I would have played it any different. I put him on As when he kept calling postflop (and would have guessed a K kicker because of the preflop call)... Can't say as I blame him for chasing the gutshot either, he prob figured his As might be good so what the hey... if you had gone all in preflop (which is an extreme move), you are at least 50% likely to get called by his slick, and would have lost anyway.

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I honestly wanted advise as to if I did something stupid or not, advise that I should have gone all in preflop or whether my post flop bet was too big and maybe made him think I was trying to buy it, I know very well about the B & BB forum but I honestly wanted advise as to how I could have played it any better, I was not after sympathy, that is why this hand is in this forum. As I see now from your comments and others I did the right thing, I was having douts as to whether I did do the right thing or not.

Your explanation of what villain did a little later says it all. He just got lucky 'this time'. He won't the next 90+% of the time in this situation.

Even at $3.30 the level of play is still 'online'. There is little 'respect' for bets shown by a lot of online players. They are there for the adrenalin rush of the win, not the quality of poker. A lot have more money than brains and are willing to 'pay for the entertainment'.

'If' villain had just deposited his (say) $100 for the weekend and lost this hand, he still has 30+ more MTT's to enter. They will play the same, over and over. Aren't there a lot of onliners who go all-in pf with any AK? Heck, even any A(rag)?

I do have one curious question. Your pf bet was what, 11xBB? Why so high? First hand, blinds are 20. Didn't you set the stage for being willing to bet big coming out? No one has reads on anyone. To me, it shows you wanted the challenge called by anyone willing to risk it. There are plenty of them on first hand, especially someone with AK. Once they hit their TPTK, they aren't going anywhere. (at least not in online low limit games/MTT's)

I understand the bigger bet with 3 limpers in the pot and trying to narrow the field pf, but is 11-12xBB right for first hand? Not saying if it was right or wrong - I'm not sure. Just curious about the logic here.

A

andres_arg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that is just bad luck. you played correct.. after of the flop you had the set (i would have felt i had the winner hand), so that bet is correct imo. the turn was good, and as you said, you were ahead 91%.
gl next time

Dank Hugh

Dank Hugh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to play ALOT of freerolls.........still play a few.

sometimes I sit out a large freeroll for the first 20-30 min.

A large number of "questionable players" are gone by then,

and it costs you only a few chips. Wotta Deal !

A

AUPhoenix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What can you do

I agree with Zorba. It depends on what kind of tourney this was. It does not matter in a freeroll or a small money buy-in toruney. Some of these donks are going to call or raise with top pair no matter what you do. Someone else noted they sit out the first 20 to 30 minutes of a freeroll due to the amount of donks playing and chasing. I have done this myself and then still been able to get in the money.

Sorry, better luck next time.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I cant say I would have played it any different. I put him on As when he kept calling postflop (and would have guessed a K kicker because of the preflop call)... Can't say as I blame him for chasing the gutshot either, he prob figured his As might be good so what the hey... if you had gone all in preflop (which is an extreme move), you are at least 50% likely to get called by his slick, and would have lost anyway.

Your explanation of what villain did a little later says it all. He just got lucky 'this time'. He won't the next 90+% of the time in this situation.

Even at $3.30 the level of play is still 'online'. There is little 'respect' for bets shown by a lot of online players. They are there for the adrenalin rush of the win, not the quality of poker. A lot have more money than brains and are willing to 'pay for the entertainment'.

'If' villain had just deposited his (say) $100 for the weekend and lost this hand, he still has 30+ more MTT's to enter. They will play the same, over and over. Aren't there a lot of onliners who go all-in pf with any AK? Heck, even any A(rag)?

I do have one curious question. Your pf bet was what, 11xBB? Why so high? First hand, blinds are 20. Didn't you set the stage for being willing to bet big coming out? No one has reads on anyone. To me, it shows you wanted the challenge called by anyone willing to risk it. There are plenty of them on first hand, especially someone with AK. Once they hit their TPTK, they aren't going anywhere. (at least not in online low limit games/MTT's)

I understand the bigger bet with 3 limpers in the pot and trying to narrow the field pf, but is 11-12xBB right for first hand? Not saying if it was right or wrong - I'm not sure. Just curious about the logic here.
Just lazyness, I'm pretty sure I used the bet pot button
I agree with Zorba. It depends on what kind of tourney this was. It does not matter in a freeroll or a small money buy-in toruney. Some of these donks are going to call or raise with top pair no matter what you do. Someone else noted they sit out the first 20 to 30 minutes of a freeroll due to the amount of donks playing and chasing. I have done this myself and then still been able to get in the money.

Sorry, better luck next time.
Yes it wasn't a freeroll, I too use that tactic most freerolls.

Thanks all I feel better knowing I wasnt the only one that would have played it similarly.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands