example hand

P

phan12

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there is seven of us and its for a final table at a home tournament. The buy in was 20 dollars and i have about 35 which is probably the average chip stack becuase we only started with about 14 guys. So im first to act and i have pocket kings. (sometimes i just get a feeling that something interesting is going to happen). I figure that i will just throw out a little raise like i have 9 10 suited or something. Blinds are at 1, 2. So I act like i have a mediocore hand and i raise it 2 dollars. The immediately the person next to me go's all in with like a 8 dollar raise on top of that. Then the kid next to him calls. The action comes back to me and i go all in. The other kid calls. And im up against Ace King, and pocket jacks. On the flop comes a jack and i end up losing all my money to pocker jacks. I was so furious. Could i have played that hand better?

Grumbledook

Grumbledook

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not really, just sounds like varience to me

you had the best hand preflop and all the money went in

C

chicubs1616

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sounds like even if you raised a little more (to $6-$8), preflop, the players would have reacted the same way.

The short stack still would have pushed all-in, and the next player would have called with JJ.

You just took a bad beat; remember bad beats usually happen to the better players, because they are in a better winning position and played their hand more correctly.

5 cards could have hurt you, The 3 Aces and 2 Jacks left in the deck.

You were around an 89-90% favorite to win the hand, you just got unlucky.

J

jde_07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You couldnt really change much on that play. In most home games (from what ive seen anyways) players are generally pretty loose and they wouldn't have gone anywhere with any of those hands. Thats just a bad luck draw out on you but dont get on tilt for it. Im sure it wasnt the first bad beat you have taken and pretty sure it wont be the last. Just keep up decent play and im sure you will start making the money in your home game.

KoRnholio

KoRnholio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like they said, you played it as best as you could have. If the player who went all in wasn't short stacked, and the other guy called as well, I may have been worried about one of them having aces and seriously contemplated folding.

C

capax

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that it was just the luck of the flop. You had the best pre-flop hand the problem is it might not have mattered what you raised to start with the pocket J's was going all in cause it sounds like he was short stacked, best bet would have been to call the all in and see the flop, then either check or more appropriatly bet aggresivly against his stack. If he didn't hit AK on the flop and you bet hard they will probably fold out and while you loose a portion of your stack to the set you at least are still in the game.

T

tigilles

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, even if you get the highest hand before the flop, there is still chance for the next cards to show..... but in the long run, you would end up winning. I guess it is just a matter of bad timing. Just ask yourself: Would have you been more furious if you would have fold and that your KK would have been the highest hand and loose a very nice pot?

tigilles

N

nujack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well I have learned in home tourneys that you just got to play for the chips and that you should paly all hands equally aggresive. So that you could avoid bad beats and every one at the table dont really know whats your style of play.

you probably wanted the pot to grow some and then hit them with the all in and then you get the bad beat..

A

aceholemfer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Played last night in home tourney. Blinds are up to 300/600. I am on the button and raise to 3k with KK. SB raises to 6k. Flop comes k 4 9. SB bets another 6k and I raise all in for an additional @14k. She calls. She's all in for about 11k. She had the pocket A's, she figured me for AK, I figured same for her. She keeps writing me hate email for it. Sometimes luck of the flop is there. Roles reversed I probably would have done the same as her.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands